Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 10:40 AM

660 posts, read 1,006,212 times

Advertisements

Over the last 6 months I've been doing some heavy research around where I want to live next. I am planning to move in April of 2015. I grew up in Pennsylvania, moved to Seattle in 1995, where I lived for 13 years (and loved) until I moved to Buffalo, NY to take a job in academia. For various reasons I decided to leave the job in 2013, in part because I have always wanted to live somewhere warmer and sunnier than anyplace I have lived to date (and I *HATE*) being cold. I just could not see myself here for another 5-10-20 years!

Ultimately, I think San Diego would be the perfect match for me weather wise, and in other respects too, but it is just too expensive. For similar reasons I have also ruled out Austin, TX and Charleston, NC, (I don't want to live way out in the suburbs to be able to afford them) and I'm not so sure I'd really like living full time in Phoenix or Tucson. As of now, and after a visit in October, I decided on the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area of North Carolina since it's warmer than Buffalo (milder Winters and long hot Summers), growing economically, affordable, has a nice sized population and the accompanying amenities, and isn't crazy far from the beach (2.5 hours by car), which I love. I was impressed by the region over-all and what it offered. There were also a ton of colleges and universities there, and as an academic that appeals to me, and could be helpful for my consulting business.

However, given my criteria (outlined below), several people in other forums recommended New Orleans too, and I want to see what other people thought:

1.) A short and mild to no Winter (in Buffalo it's cold to very cold November through March, with a decent amount of snow). Hot Summers are fine, and so is humidity.

2.) Affordability; the ability to get a 1-BR apartment (or even a studio or some small space) for $750-$900 a month.

3.) Either good/safe walkable neighborhoods or reliable mass-transit, or both. I have a car, but I really enjoy not using it (and even contemplated getting rid of it, especially if car-sharing is available).

4.) Some associated colleges and universities.

I think I would love N.O. for many reasons -- the culture, the food, the architecture and history -- but would it fit my other criteria? I did visit once, but it was over a decade ago.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 11:19 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,096 times
1. We celebrate when we get any snow, at all. Maybe 10 years ago it snowed Christmas Day and the city acted like we'd won the lottery. It snows maybe once every 3-4 years. Summer is hot (understatement).

2/3/4- Rolling these into one; if you live Uptown you'll be able to afford an apt in a nice neighborhood for $900/month- and when I say "nice" I mean a neighborhood with million dollar houses mixed in with apartments for students at nearby Tulane and Loyola, both of which are on the St. Charles Streetcar Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, which can take you all the way downtown/to the French Quarter. Those are both private universities, in the area there is also Xavier (Catholic, HBCU) UNO (Public) SUNO (public, HBCU) Holy Cross (private, Catholic), Dillard (private, HBCU) ... along with 2-years (CCs) in the area.

Good luck.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:27 AM

88 posts, read 80,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
Over the last 6 months I've been doing some heavy research around where I want to live next. I am planning to move in April of 2015. I grew up in Pennsylvania, moved to Seattle in 1995, where I lived for 13 years (and loved) until I moved to Buffalo, NY to take a job in academia. For various reasons I decided to leave the job in 2013, in part because I have always wanted to live somewhere warmer and sunnier than anyplace I have lived to date (and I *HATE*) being cold. I just could not see myself here for another 5-10-20 years!

Ultimately, I think San Diego would be the perfect match for me weather wise, and in other respects too, but it is just too expensive. For similar reasons I have also ruled out Austin, TX and Charleston, NC, (I don't want to live way out in the suburbs to be able to afford them) and I'm not so sure I'd really like living full time in Phoenix or Tucson. As of now, and after a visit in October, I decided on the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area of North Carolina since it's warmer than Buffalo (milder Winters and long hot Summers), growing economically, affordable, has a nice sized population and the accompanying amenities, and isn't crazy far from the beach (2.5 hours by car), which I love. I was impressed by the region over-all and what it offered. There were also a ton of colleges and universities there, and as an academic that appeals to me, and could be helpful for my consulting business.

However, given my criteria (outlined below), several people in other forums recommended New Orleans too, and I want to see what other people thought:

1.) A short and mild to no Winter (in Buffalo it's cold to very cold November through March, with a decent amount of snow). Hot Summers are fine, and so is humidity.

2.) Affordability; the ability to get a 1-BR apartment (or even a studio or some small space) for $750-$900 a month.

3.) Either good/safe walkable neighborhoods or reliable mass-transit, or both. I have a car, but I really enjoy not using it (and even contemplated getting rid of it, especially if car-sharing is available).

4.) Some associated colleges and universities.

I think I would love N.O. for many reasons -- the culture, the food, the architecture and history -- but would it fit my other criteria? I did visit once, but it was over a decade ago.

THANKS!
When I lived there many years ago, the only neighborhood that I would feel safe walking in would be the Garden District, and even then NOT AT NIGHT. I have known several people who where robbed/raped/mugged or in one case murdered walking alone in less-than-great areas of town. I would not recommend it.

Likewise, I would not be too thrilled about the public transit system there. Unlike public transit in New England, many places (including New Orleans) it is frequently only used by people who cannot get a driver's license. This includes the mentally ill, chronic offenders, alcoholics/drug abusers, the very poor and people who are not smart enough to be able to pass the test. Typically, these are not the sort of folks I want to be hanging out with.

Have you considered a smaller town in the midwest? it may not be as "diverse", but that might be a good thing, especially when we're talking about crime. The cost of living would be considerably lower too.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:39 AM

Hahaha!

Well, I have lived with snow in my life for many, many years . . . and now it's time for life without it!

Thanks for the great advice, that kind of neighborhood sounds perfect for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
1. We celebrate when we get any snow, at all. Maybe 10 years ago it snowed Christmas Day and the city acted like we'd won the lottery. It snows maybe once every 3-4 years. Summer is hot (understatement).

2/3/4- Rolling these into one; if you live Uptown you'll be able to afford an apt in a nice neighborhood for $900/month- and when I say "nice" I mean a neighborhood with million dollar houses mixed in with apartments for students at nearby Tulane and Loyola, both of which are on the St. Charles Streetcar Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, which can take you all the way downtown/to the French Quarter. Those are both private universities, in the area there is also Xavier (Catholic, HBCU) UNO (Public) SUNO (public, HBCU) Holy Cross (private, Catholic), Dillard (private, HBCU) ... along with 2-years (CCs) in the area.

Good luck.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:41 AM

Default That bad?

It's really THAT bad? I mean I currently live in Buffalo, NY -- the third poorest city in the country and fourth in violent crime -- and I feel safe walking alone at night in most (NOT all) neighborhoods here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YonqueD View Post
When I lived there many years ago, the only neighborhood that I would feel safe walking in would be the Garden District, and even then NOT AT NIGHT. I have known several people who where robbed/raped/mugged or in one case murdered walking alone in less-than-great areas of town. I would not recommend it.

Likewise, I would not be too thrilled about the public transit system there. Unlike public transit in New England, many places (including New Orleans) it is frequently only used by people who cannot get a driver's license. This includes the mentally ill, chronic offenders, alcoholics/drug abusers, the very poor and people who are not smart enough to be able to pass the test. Typically, these are not the sort of folks I want to be hanging out with.

Have you considered a smaller town in the midwest? it may not be as "diverse", but that might be a good thing, especially when we're talking about crime. The cost of living would be considerably lower too.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:04 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,575 times
There is always someone coming on here talking about how bad crime is because they were here years ago. I have lived here for 5 years with my family and nothing bad has happened to any of us. It's just like any city. There are certain areas you don't go to late at night. It is definitely different than a small town in the Midwest, and that's a good thing.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:11 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,225,468 times
Hi Professor, I'll share a couple of things:

First off, when you said you'd ruled out Austin due to the cost of living I was thinking to myself that New Orleans would have been much pricier however, I stand corrected. I just checked the "Sperlings" site and a $50,000 salary in Austin would be equivalent of a $46,500 salary in New Orleans so it's close in COL but Austin is a little higher.

I personally LOVE Tucson and housing is WAY less expensive (25% less actually) than New Orleans. Crime is also lower.

Regarding Buffalo, I'm from Toronto, and once when I was in Buffalo on a shopping trip (everything is much less expensive in the US so we always visit to shop), I was with a few girl friends and we'd gone out for dinner. We were going to take a taxi back to our hotel (it was the Hilton or something comparable, not a dump) but it was so nice out that we decided to walk. Half way back, a guy in a nice car pulled up and said "what are you girls doing out here, walking?". He promptly told us NOT to walk at night and to get back to our hotel asap. Being from Canada, we had no comprehension of this, and were rather surprised, it just never dawned on us that it wouldn't be safe to walk at night.

PS it would be easy to compare crime statistics at night on Google

Old 12-13-2014, 12:41 PM

136 posts, read 200,248 times
What we call snow, you probably wouldn't even call flurries. Lol.

New Orleans is about to ride a high, IMO. It's always been a cool city with a lot of problems, but I find it is getting more "hipster", younger and more progressive.

I do find myself keeping up on crime, and I do know someone who missed a falling bullet on New Year's Eve (close relative) at his house... Bullet hit right next to him on the cement and the cement pellet lodged in his hair. This was at 10:30 p.m. I have had relatives who were mugged and Tulane recently had a mugging on the campus property (a month or so ago) which hadn't happened in a long time, if ever (I believe it was within a one mile radius of the campus).

(Everyone I know who lives uptown/mid city/garden district all have BIG dogs to walk with and for home protection)

For universities, obviously you have Tulane, Loyola, UNO, SUNO, Xavier and Our Lady of Holy Cross.

I think you should look into it. With the lake right there, you have fishing, water sports: the Lakefront is a great place to roller blade, walk, jog fly a kite, etc. You can kayak off Bayou St.John. Audubon Park is great. The Zoo is world class. The Saints, while the pits this year (though may make the playoffs despite themselves)-- the tailgating is so much fun. You don't even have to go to the game; just walking around the city on game day is an experience. Plus they have an NBA team and those games are fun too.

Mardi Gras is in February, Jazz Fest is in April. Saints start in August. Something is always going on. LOADS to do.

The Tennessee Williams festival is in the French Quarter and the draw is the "Stanley" competition where guys (and girls) wear kakhis and white muscle shirts, throw a cup of water on their heads and yell "Stella!!"

I can't believe I forgot to mention the holy trinity: crawfish, shrimp and crabs!!!!

Plus you will be able to immerse yourself in a true CULTURE. Decorate your house in fleur de lis, keep your Christmas tree up and transition it to a mardi Gras tree, give up something for lent and go visit some St. Joseph Altars, get a lucky bean. New Orleans has substance.

Last edited by Polarvortex1415; 12-13-2014 at 12:51 PM..

Old 12-13-2014, 01:31 PM

Default Comparisons

Great response adventuregurl - thanks!

I looked closely at Austin, and unless I want to live 20-30 minutes by car outside the city, rental prices are high (think $1300-$1500 for a 1BR apartment); in looking at Craigslist for N.O., even in the nicer areas, apartments are available for several hundred dollars a month below that range. So many people are moving to Austin it's inflating prices.

My main issue with Tucson (and I have never been there, but have been to Phoenix several times, as well as other parts of Arizona) seems to be that it is NOT very walkable or has reliable mass transit, and those are things important to me. What's your take on this?

As far as Buffalo, there ARE certain neighborhoods to avoid, especially at night or alone -- that said the guy who mentioned that to you was really likely exaggerating. Though I'm a guy, I have been on foot in many different areas of this city and very late and never once felt unsafe, even alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Hi Professor, I'll share a couple of things:

First off, when you said you'd ruled out Austin due to the cost of living I was thinking to myself that New Orleans would have been much pricier however, I stand corrected. I just checked the "Sperlings" site and a $50,000 salary in Austin would be equivalent of a $46,500 salary in New Orleans so it's close in COL but Austin is a little higher.

I personally LOVE Tucson and housing is WAY less expensive (25% less actually) than New Orleans. Crime is also lower.

Regarding Buffalo, I'm from Toronto, and once when I was in Buffalo on a shopping trip (everything is much less expensive in the US so we always visit to shop), I was with a few girl friends and we'd gone out for dinner. We were going to take a taxi back to our hotel (it was the Hilton or something comparable, not a dump) but it was so nice out that we decided to walk. Half way back, a guy in a nice car pulled up and said "what are you girls doing out here, walking?". He promptly told us NOT to walk at night and to get back to our hotel asap. Being from Canada, we had no comprehension of this, and were rather surprised, it just never dawned on us that it wouldn't be safe to walk at night.

PS it would be easy to compare crime statistics at night on Google

Old 12-13-2014, 01:38 PM

Default Great Perspective!

Thanks Polarvortex1415 - what great perspective!

And that is really what I am looking for -- "substance".

One of the things I like about Buffalo is that it has that "gritty" feel, and a feeling of real substance; it doesn't feel "fake" or unreal as has happened in so many cities like Seattle that have become overly gentrified. If it were warmer here, and more conducive to year-round outdoor living, I might consider staying (though the mass transit also sucks here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarvortex1415 View Post
What we call snow, you probably wouldn't even call flurries. Lol.

New Orleans is about to ride a high, IMO. It's always been a cool city with a lot of problems, but I find it is getting more "hipster", younger and more progressive.

I do find myself keeping up on crime, and I do know someone who missed a falling bullet on New Year's Eve (close relative) at his house... Bullet hit right next to him on the cement and the cement pellet lodged in his hair. This was at 10:30 p.m. I have had relatives who were mugged and Tulane recently had a mugging on the campus property (a month or so ago) which hadn't happened in a long time, if ever (I believe it was within a one mile radius of the campus).

(Everyone I know who lives uptown/mid city/garden district all have BIG dogs to walk with and for home protection)

For universities, obviously you have Tulane, Loyola, UNO, SUNO, Xavier and Our Lady of Holy Cross.

I think you should look into it. With the lake right there, you have fishing, water sports: the Lakefront is a great place to roller blade, walk, jog fly a kite, etc. You can kayak off Bayou St.John. Audubon Park is great. The Zoo is world class. The Saints, while the pits this year (though may make the playoffs despite themselves)-- the tailgating is so much fun. You don't even have to go to the game; just walking around the city on game day is an experience. Plus they have an NBA team and those games are fun too.

Mardi Gras is in February, Jazz Fest is in April. Saints start in August. Something is always going on. LOADS to do.

The Tennessee Williams festival is in the French Quarter and the draw is the "Stanley" competition where guys (and girls) wear kakhis and white muscle shirts, throw a cup of water on their heads and yell "Stella!!"

I can't believe I forgot to mention the holy trinity: crawfish, shrimp and crabs!!!!

Plus you will be able to immerse yourself in a true CULTURE. Decorate your house in fleur de lis, keep your Christmas tree up and transition it to a mardi Gras tree, give up something for lent and go visit some St. Joseph Altars, get a lucky bean. New Orleans has substance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans