Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 04:00 PM

133 posts, read 191,217 times

Advertisements

Normally I'd hate to make a thread like this for one particular question, but I wasn't able to find a sufficient answer after quite a bit of searching. I'm going to be down in New Orleans from Feb 14-17 and will be staying near Latrobe Park. I will have a rental car with me and I am concerned about where to park it during the duration of the trip. I don't really plan on using the car while I'm there, and the place I'm staying does not have parking provided.

Is long term street parking a realistic possibility there? Does the city enforce parking restrictions on the weekends and holidays? Do you have to pay for street parking in that area? What's safety like? Are there recommended garages or parking lots nearby?

Other times when I've visited cities, I'd park at a park and ride lot and take the train into the city. Is that a feasible thing to do with the streetcar? And would the locations allow for overnight parking and would they be safe?

In an ideal world, I'd love to spend the least amount of money on this and don't want anything to happen to the rental car. I'd appreciate any and all suggestions. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 05:34 PM

860 posts, read 1,185,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPH2 View Post
Normally I'd hate to make a thread like this for one particular question, but I wasn't able to find a sufficient answer after quite a bit of searching. I'm going to be down in New Orleans from Feb 14-17 and will be staying near Latrobe Park. I will have a rental car with me and I am concerned about where to park it during the duration of the trip. I don't really plan on using the car while I'm there, and the place I'm staying does not have parking provided.

Is long term street parking a realistic possibility there? Does the city enforce parking restrictions on the weekends and holidays? Do you have to pay for street parking in that area? What's safety like? Are there recommended garages or parking lots nearby?

Other times when I've visited cities, I'd park at a park and ride lot and take the train into the city. Is that a feasible thing to do with the streetcar? And would the locations allow for overnight parking and would they be safe?

In an ideal world, I'd love to spend the least amount of money on this and don't want anything to happen to the rental car. I'd appreciate any and all suggestions. Thank you!
Maybe park in one of the lots by the airport and take a cab or shuttle to your room. I wouldn't try to park on the street during Mardi Gras if you don't know the city. During festivals is the only time they really enforce parking citywide.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:51 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,329,127 times
Trying to find parking in the middle of the Quarter during Mardi Gras is ill advised at best. Most of the quarter is either 2hr metered parking or residential permit parking.

If you're flying in, then just take a taxi or shuttle downtown and avoid the car entirely.

If you're driving in from a car rented elsewhere, you're looking at some pretty steep overnight rates in the downtown area. Prices will be a little cheaper across Canal St in the CBD/Warehouse Dist.

If you want to save some money, you can park on the street out in the Lakeview area and catch a cab downtown. I would recommend calling United Cabs. Anywhere close to Canal Blvd and near Harrison or Filmore Ave and you should be good to go. It's a good neighborhood, but make sure you lock your doors and don't leave anything visible.

Normally you could park Uptown or in Mid-City and catch the streetcar/bus downtown, but during Mardi Gras, parades interfere with the routes and it can be difficult to get around.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:33 AM

133 posts, read 191,217 times
Thank you both for the suggestions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: