Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 01:00 PM

3,847 posts, read 7,920,233 times

Advertisements

Safety is our concern, we have a 5 year old. We will be staying May 2rd-7th. Here are the following options for hotels.

The Whitney Hotel- Poydras Street
Holiday Inn- West Bank Tower
Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Convention Center

Also if anyone knows hotels with suites (ie separate bedroom for mom and dad, kiddie on the pull out) let me know. Most of these seem like the standard one big room hotel. Looking at anything up to $200 a night.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 01:35 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,328,343 times
I'm not sure what your plans are while you are here, but I would scratch the Airport and West Bank tower off the list.

The Witney Hotel or the HGI Convention Center are both good picks and you'll be in walking distance to a lot of places and have access to the streetcars/transit/short cab rides. The Witney is more centrally located but IMO the HGI Convention Center is a slightly safer area at night.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:11 PM

Okay thanks. It look slike the HGI is roughly 20 mins to downtown? Does that seem accurate? Are there any hotels downtown that would allow us to actually walk around at night then go right back into the hotel? Also how is parking? Are we going to need to pay for most places?

Old 02-12-2015, 03:40 PM

5,842 posts, read 6,118,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Okay thanks. It look slike the HGI is roughly 20 mins to downtown? Does that seem accurate? Are there any hotels downtown that would allow us to actually walk around at night then go right back into the hotel? Also how is parking? Are we going to need to pay for most places?
Agree with PP that there is no reason you would want to be near the airport or West Bank. The Convention Center is downtown (though slightly upriver towards the Warehouse District). I am not sure where that 20 minutes comes from....

Yes, You can almost rest assured you will pay for overnight parking. Maybe even in the range of $30 per night.

That HGI location will give you great access to many things your 5 YO might enjoy, including the Aquarium, the WW II museum etc.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Agree with PP that there is no reason you would want to be near the airport or West Bank. The Convention Center is downtown (though slightly upriver towards the Warehouse District). I am not sure where that 20 minutes comes from....

Yes, You can almost rest assured you will pay for overnight parking. Maybe even in the range of $30 per night.

That HGI location will give you great access to many things your 5 YO might enjoy, including the Aquarium, the WW II museum etc.

Great you guys thank you!

Old 02-12-2015, 05:20 PM

53 posts, read 76,098 times
Either the Hilton Inn Convention Center, or Whitney on Poydras. Any hotel in CBD or quarter will do.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:46 PM

415 posts, read 797,639 times
Personally I would choose the Convention Center location over Poydras.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:15 PM
yr5

16 posts, read 19,324 times
When I visited New Orleans as a visitor to the city, I stayed in B&Bs and Hotels. I would go the Hotel route to be on the safe side, often times pictures look good but the physical location looks another.

The Whitney Hotel, is centrally located right downtown, which means anything you do would be by walking or street car. However, if you choose to rent a car, the hotel will charge very high rates for valet parking. The hotel seems best fit for the traveling businessman or couple, normal/average size rooms...there is a restaurant in the Lobby but closes early.

Courtyard Marriot located in Metairie is a great location - close to airport and downtown new orleans, right off the service road of I-10. Rooms are spacous and extremely moderately priced, if you have AAA you may be able to get $10-20 additional off per night. Complimentary parking included with stay. They have a cafe in the Lobby that stays open until 8pm.

You can also try AirBnB, for rental properties, if you are inclined to have a more homey feel to your trip (i.e. kitchen for cooking; dining out in New Orleans every evening can get a bit costly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans