Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:57 AM

93 posts, read 101,322 times

Advertisements

Just returned from an amazing vacation in N'Orleans. Good Music, People and Food.
Only question is...How is the economy outside of tourism?
Upon driving in from the airport couldn't help but notice there wasn't a fast paced 'hustle and bustle' in the central business district.

Didn't see too many professionals or 'suits' walking around. And also didn't see too much new building construction in around town.

Coming from the Northeast I'm used to the condensed and fast paced city life.
Again, loved N'Orleans and will definitely return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 02:04 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern1141 View Post
Just returned from an amazing vacation in N'Orleans. Good Music, People and Food.
Upon driving in from the airport couldn't help but notice there wasn't a fast paced 'hustle and bustle' in the central business district.

Didn't see too many professionals or 'suits' walking around. And also didn't see too much new building construction in around town.

Coming from the Northeast I'm used to the condensed and fast paced city life.
Again, loved N'Orleans and will definitely return.
I'm kind of surprised by this post. Did you only stay in the quarter? In the CBD are at least 5 or 6 highrises that are being completely redone, and there seems to be something going on on almost every block. There is a new hospital being built that is huge. Construction is booming down here. The dress code is probably a little more relaxed down here, but there are still lots of people walking around in suits.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:24 PM

327 posts, read 398,511 times
Lots of business and very slow pace of life, so if you are a hard worker, you should crush your opposition. Change your name to a French name, and you are really good.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:56 PM

194 posts, read 222,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern1141 View Post
Tourism is it.

there is NO hustle and bustle trust me and that ain't never changing so for a person like me it's beyond frustrating how slow everyone moves. Absolutely NO sense of urgency.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:36 PM

93 posts, read 101,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali504 View Post
Tourism is it.

there is NO hustle and bustle trust me and that ain't never changing so for a person like me it's beyond frustrating how slow everyone moves. Absolutely NO sense of urgency.
Yeah if I was working in that type of environment, especially where I come from and my industry..I'd probably get either very frustrated or very wealthy lol

Old 05-12-2015, 01:46 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,460 times
Right. Forget the fact that the Port of New Orleans employs over 100,000 people locally and the region is currently seeing up to $100 billion in industrial investment. Just tourism.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:20 AM

18 posts, read 31,029 times
It is too hot to wear suits. The food and drinks are too good. Four hour lunch just happens.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:03 AM

335 posts, read 424,021 times
Oil and shipping are the two other big industries besides tourism.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:56 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
There's not a lot of "suits" around here. Mainly only lawyers, politicians, and some businessman but not most.

Many of the high paying jobs are along port area, which you wouldn't have access to, there is a private road and only port facilities workers can go there. There are lots of workers downtown, only lawyers and such wear suits. Lots of movie production companies but they are either in warehouses and you wouldn't have known which ones to check.

There is a $1B+ medical complex going up right on Canal, you must have not really gotten around much, it will employ tons of high paying doctors.

The tourism industry employs thousands as well. There are some chemical plants north of the river that employ lots of people as well.

Most likely you just didn't know where to look.

Future construction projects:
* $400M redevelopment of the World Trade Center
* $65M Algiers movie studio
* $325M WWI Museum expansion
* $700M Convention Center expansion
* There are $50 Billion (yes billion) in industrial expansions in South Louisiana. About $20B are for Lake Charles, and $30B for the section from Baton Rouge to New Orleans. So yes lots of construction, but very specific. A regular construction crew can't get these projects, you have to be specialized in industrial things...

These are all gigantic construction projects.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:36 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
There's not a lot of "suits" around here. Mainly only lawyers, politicians, and some businessman but not most.

Many of the high paying jobs are along port area, which you wouldn't have access to, there is a private road and only port facilities workers can go there. There are lots of workers downtown, only lawyers and such wear suits. Lots of movie production companies but they are either in warehouses and you wouldn't have known which ones to check.

There is a $1B+ medical complex going up right on Canal, you must have not really gotten around much, it will employ tons of high paying doctors.

The tourism industry employs thousands as well. There are some chemical plants north of the river that employ lots of people as well.

Most likely you just didn't know where to look.

Future construction projects:
* $400M redevelopment of the World Trade Center
* $65M Algiers movie studio
* $325M WWI Museum expansion
* $700M Convention Center expansion
* There are $50 Billion (yes billion) in industrial expansions in South Louisiana. About $20B are for Lake Charles, and $30B for the section from Baton Rouge to New Orleans. So yes lots of construction, but very specific. A regular construction crew can't get these projects, you have to be specialized in industrial things...

These are all gigantic construction projects.
I don't think this person wants to hear this. The only person they have responded to are the ones that are negative. I haven't been here for long, but it seems like alot of people just don't know or don't like this city. It's their loss in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans