Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 05:01 PM

933 posts, read 1,477,917 times

Advertisements

First off, the festival has completely outgrown the Fairgrounds. It's just ENTIRELY too many people in a small space and there were times when I went that I couldn't move, jammed in a crowd of what had to be hundreds of people within a very small radius. Add that it feels like 95 degrees and there is zero shade and things can get quite miserable in the crowd. But, to make matters worse, EVERYONE had to move out the way so that stroller could get through or else that thing plowing you down. Look, I get that you don't want to hire a babysitter, but there are enough people as is, having your baby in a stroller piling through traffic is just totally unnecessary. Leave the baby at home, or at the very least DO NOT bring the baby's stroller with you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 12:14 PM

415 posts, read 607,063 times
As a parent, I would not want my kid in that cesspool of germs and drunks personally. That said, it is a (semi LOL) free country. Jazz fest needs a bigger better venue like you said. Strollers aren't the biggest problem, albeit maybe an inconvenience.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:43 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,165 times
Capping the ticket sales would be easy to implement and solve a lot of problems. So would restricting chairs. People who camp out and set up a living room in front of the stages are taking up waaay more space than any stroller.

Most people with kids in strollers seem to know the drill. They go during the weekdays and spend most of their time by the kids area or in the calmer areas of the FG like the far side of the Gentilly stage. That's fine.

The problem comes in when there's a headliner setting up at Acura and they decide wheel their kid through the throngs to get in viewing distance. Big no no.

I left my 1yr old home this year as I felt he was too young. Though, I would like to bring him next year if the weather is nice and I can get out of work on that Thursday/Friday. A stroller will probably be involved.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
As a parent, I would not want my kid in that cesspool of germs and drunks personally. That said, it is a (semi LOL) free country. Jazz fest needs a bigger better venue like you said. Strollers aren't the biggest problem, albeit maybe an inconvenience.
I think that is the root of my frustrations. It was SO hot when I went on Saturday and SO crowded with ZERO shade that even a stroller trying to get through can **** me off.

I mean, there was one point where I literally was at a standstill in a walkway as a MASS of people tried to get through a walkway. Eventually, I just said "F it" and barged right through everyone's little picnic on the grass. The Fairgrounds are really just too small...

Old 05-04-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
Capping the ticket sales would be easy to implement and solve a lot of problems. So would restricting chairs. People who camp out and set up a living room in front of the stages are taking up waaay more space than any stroller.

Most people with kids in strollers seem to know the drill. They go during the weekdays and spend most of their time by the kids area or in the calmer areas of the FG like the far side of the Gentilly stage. That's fine.

The problem comes in when there's a headliner setting up at Acura and they decide wheel their kid through the throngs to get in viewing distance. Big no no.

I left my 1yr old home this year as I felt he was too young. Though, I would like to bring him next year if the weather is nice and I can get out of work on that Thursday/Friday. A stroller will probably be involved.
See, I went on a Saturday. It felt like 95 degrees between the heat index and the body heat from everyone around, there was zero shade, and it was so crowded there were times when I couldn't move. So, yeah, it was kind of aggravating to see a strolling trying to barge its way through the crowd.

And like I said in a previous post, those little "living rooms" were trampled when I finally said "enoughs enough" with standing in the masses moving .01 mph...

Old 05-05-2015, 08:34 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
See, I went on a Saturday. It felt like 95 degrees between the heat index and the body heat from everyone around, there was zero shade, and it was so crowded there were times when I couldn't move.
On Saturday the temperature hit 82 deg. F in the afternoon with 32% humidity. In New Orleans, we call that a win.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
On Saturday the temperature hit 82 deg. F in the afternoon with 32% humidity. In New Orleans, we call that a win.
I've lived in New Orleans for much of my life, I know what the weather is like. Don't treat me like I'm stupid. It didn't seem so hot on paper, but given that there was zero shade and thousands upon thousands of people crammed into a REALLY tight space, it definitely seemed much hotter.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:01 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
I've lived in New Orleans for much of my life, I know what the weather is like. Don't treat me like I'm stupid. It didn't seem so hot on paper, but given that there was zero shade and thousands upon thousands of people crammed into a REALLY tight space, it definitely seemed much hotter.
The Jazz/Blues and Gospel tents have shade and those "misters" if you need to cool off. Also, get one of those large refillable flavored iced teas.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:31 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,698 times
It seems like any festival that gets started down here outgrows itself pretty quickly. Look at the French Quarter Festival and the po boy festival on Oak st. We should probably just add some more festivals. I won't complain.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:08 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,085,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
It seems like any festival that gets started down here outgrows itself pretty quickly. Look at the French Quarter Festival and the po boy festival on Oak st. We should probably just add some more festivals. I won't complain.
Against my wife's wishes, I have vowed against attending anymore festivals in the Quarter, even though we religiously attend FQF(not this year). FoodFest was the last straw for me. As usual, we spent over an hour(HUNGRY and w/children) trying to find parking within a mile of the event without paying eleventy billion dollars...and to no avail. This is becoming a more common aspect as these festivals continue to grow.

To be clear, I don't mind paying 30 bucks to be a few blocks from the destination. But I REFUSE to pay $50 and still walk a mile...NO!

Now that I think about it, Uber might work best for us...never tried it Now Po Boy Fest on the other hand is awesome! We go. We find parking a block or two away from Freret, then we indulge in a mass variety of tastiness....simple, accessible, highly enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans