Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2015, 02:24 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,038 times

Advertisements

I was wondering is there anything fun in New Orleans outside the French Quarter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 02:31 PM

415 posts, read 802,159 times
Serious question? Or trolling?

Old 06-03-2015, 04:02 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrockills View Post
Serious question? Or trolling?
Serious. I might visit there but I honestly do not know much about New Orleans except for the French Quarter. I read that there is a CBD but I don't know of any other attractions in this city except for the French Quarter.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:12 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I was wondering is there anything fun in New Orleans outside the French Quarter?
It took me many visits to finally get out of the French Quarter. The Quarter could keep you busy for a month or more. That being said, the other parts of the city are great also. The lakefront, the parks, the museums, and the neighborhoods that all have their own flavor, are a big reason why I live here now. Definitely the most unique city in America.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:32 PM

933 posts, read 1,477,917 times
Just a word of advice, if you are on Bourbon Street you aren't seeing the "real" New Orleans. You are seeing a false image of New Orleans flooded by 95% tourists...there's plenty to do outside of the French Quarter that will help you see the "real" New Orleans. Go check out the Riverwalk area downtown or go to the Fly behind Audubon Park (IMO the most beautiful place in the city) for a picnic if you want to check out the Mississippi River. If you like parks, Audubon Park and City Park are beautiful too. Go out to the lakefront, bring a blanket, a book, and a glass of wine, and go enjoy yourself out on Lakeshore Drive. If you want to see some historic New Orleans houses, go take a tour of the Garden District and maybe stop by Commander's Palace while you are in the neighborhood. There's also a really famous cemetery across the street from Commander's if you are interested in that too. Take the street car down St. Charles or Canal and maybe pick an authentic restaurant you like the look of. Go to the zoo, aquarium, or insectarium. Go to the National World War Two museum and learn about our nation's history. Go check out the Ogden Museum of Art, NOMA, or the New Orleans Sculpture Garden if you are interested in that. If the Pelicans and/or Saints are playing, check out their games.

I could go on and on, but you get the point. If you want to see the real New Orleans, do something like that, don't go on the generic "swamp tour" or spend 90% of your time within a block radius of Bourbon Street.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:27 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
The World War II Museum is the 4th best museum in the country, check that out.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:25 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Agree and every time we visit we stop there as they are constantly adding new exhibits.
You also have Audubon Park and zoo, spent a nice day there
The aquarium.
Walking tour of the Garden District
Rent a car, take a ride across the causeway and explore Mandeville, Covington
Truth be told after many visits to NOLA we don't spend much time on Bourbon, if any. We stay in the Quarter but leave it to explore

Old 06-05-2015, 01:09 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Ride the streetcar to the Garden District, and get off at some point to walk around and shoot pictures.

Take a cab to the Rock 'n' Bowl one night for some great music and dancing.

Or go the Maple Leaf one night to enjoy Rebirth Brass Band (music does start late, though).

Walk just a few blocks over to Frenchmen Street. Lots of music scene there, as well as a great music store (LA Music Factory).

Magazine Street.

Rent a bike and ride up Esplanade.

NOMA (New Orleans Museum of Art) in City Park. In fact, City Park, Period.

Audubon Zoo.

Kern's Mardi Gras World.

Also....

Rent a car or take a bus tour to do the River Road Plantation run.

Enjoy a swamp tour.

The list goes on.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:29 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I went there right after it opened and was very impressed. They have added on like crazy since then. I'm gonna have to go back soon and check it out again. Both of my grandfathers fought in that war. One of them lost a leg and was never the same.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:44 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
I went to Nawleans once. There is a swamp boat tour and you get to see gators and crocs. They even have a baby gator onboard, and you can hold it. But be careful. They are strong little buggers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans