Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen to the statue of General Lee?
Take it down and destroy it! 25 11.16%
Take it down and donate to the Confederancy or Other Civil War Museum. 41 18.30%
Don't take it down, it's a part of the history of New Orleans. 123 54.91%
Don't take it down, I support who General Lee was. 35 15.63%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 06:14 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

This weekend was a mess. Wow Mitch know's how to stir up the pot. New Orleans was in harmony before he pressed these people's buttons. This is an emotional issue and only fighting/conflict will result.

Confederate monument protesters in New Orleans clash at Lee Circle | NOLA.com

Old 05-09-2017, 04:58 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
You can't be serious about the harmony part.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:29 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
A lot of people criticize Confederate monument removal because it does nothing to solve problems like crime or poverty. That's true. But the same people often support things like posting the 10 Commandments on public grounds which also does nothing to solve any problems. History is complicated and not every Confederate was a stone cold bigot and not all Union people were die hard abolitionists but in hindsight the Civil War did end slavery of Blacks many decades before it probably would have happened without the war. It's totally understandable that Black Americans are offended when they see Confederate monuments or flags, I would be if I was Black. They annoy me as a the descendant of White Southern Unionists. (I have 10 Civil War soldier ancestors, 8 were Union, 2 were Confederate)

Old 05-09-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You can't be serious about the harmony part.
Did you look at the video? That kind of violence wasn't happening before Mitch brought these things in the open. Let's just all get along...

I hate to see this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QNn500bDX0

Old 05-09-2017, 09:59 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
So what? Republicans have their own share of pandering. Truth is, most Blacks wouldn't want those Confederate monuments up anyway. This isn't about votes. This is about what the people in New Orleans want.

Something else. New Orleans is majority Black. Where are the majority of any mayoral candidates votes going to come from in New Orleans?
The fact that the Black vote is sufficient to control a city is meaningless. What is essential is that the city is solvent, vibrant, attractive to business and tourism, and is safe.

Not New Orleans, not Baltimore, not Detroit, not Chicago and on.

Being the race that calls the shots gets the city and it's inhabitants nowhere. Results are the only measure of success regardless of skin color.

The actions by the history-cleansers will only cause new resentment and tensions.

This will only make Blacks and Whites suspicious of each other, not unlike the 60's.

For the life of me I can't comprehend why these activists think this action will be a net positive.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Did you look at the video? That kind of violence wasn't happening before Mitch brought these things in the open. Let's just all get along...

I hate to see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QNn500bDX0
So New Orleans was a safe place before this? That's what I'm getting from you right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
The fact that the Black vote is sufficient to control a city is meaningless. What is essential is that the city is solvent, vibrant, attractive to business and tourism, and is safe.

Not New Orleans, not Baltimore, not Detroit, not Chicago and on.

Being the race that calls the shots gets the city and it's inhabitants nowhere. Results are the only measure of success regardless of skin color.

The actions by the history-cleansers will only cause new resentment and tensions.

This will only make Blacks and Whites suspicious of each other, not unlike the 60's.

For the life of me I can't comprehend why these activists think this action will be a net positive.
Who are history cleansers?
So blacks and whites haven't been suspicious of one another since Europeans landed here? I'm pretty sure I grew up with people being suspicious of me.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
So New Orleans was a safe place before this? That's what I'm getting from you right now.

No, New Orleans has never been safe.

But when you're walking across the yard, don't step on the red ant pile! Yes the red ants are there but when you step on the pile it rouses them up!

Another phrase my mom used to say is "let sleeping dogs lie".

Old 05-09-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
No, New Orleans has never been safe.

But when you're walking across the yard, don't step on the red ant pile! Yes the red ants are there but when you step on the pile it rouses them up!

Another phrase my mom used to say is "let sleeping dogs lie".
I don't like the statues but I'm not about to go meet get all up in arms about them either, yet this is rather insulting to people who do not want to honor oppression.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:42 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,682,055 times
Slavery - of which the whole world has been exposed to - is not an admirable part of history. But, like it or not, there would be NO New Orleans without it.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:26 PM

605 posts, read 669,828 times
I can understand getting rid of some of the other Confederate monuments (such as statues honoring Nathan Bedford Forrest), but Robert E. Lee was actually against slavery and despite advocating for Virginia to stay in the Union, only fought for the Confederacy only because Virginia decided to secede from the Union. Anyways I think a lot of people forget that most white southerners did not own slaves (most were poor farmers) and were pretty much forced to be conscripted into the Confederate Army, so I do think it is kind of ridiculous that people are over-generalizing this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans