Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion?
Agree 2 22.22%
Disagree 5 55.56%
Undecided 0 0%
Don't Care 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 952 times

Advertisements

I understand the issues behind the removal of the confederate flag from government owned property. A flag represents a belief, a position, a statement. That statement can be corrupted, as Hitler did the swazsticker. The Confederate battle flag has been corrupted. The KKK and other racist have abused it.

The Civil War was about economics. The government wanted to liberate property bought and paid for by Southern entrepreneurs. In essence, it enacted a law that would bankrupt the South. It changed the economy of the region without offering just compensation. Should we be surprised that they rebelled?

The abolishment of slavery was a national problem, economic in nature. Therefore, the solution should have been economic as well. If the country wanted to free the slaves, they should have compensated the previous owner for his monetary loss, the money he invested when slavery was legal. If this had been done, there would have been no war. Blacks would have been hired to work in the fields, and they would have begun to climb the ladder faster.

Lee, Beauregard and Davis, these great men of the South were not racist. They may have owned slaves, but slavery was legal. Indentured servitude was legal. Indians were thought to be savages. Natives of Africa were considered more animal than human. The cultures were so different they were not considered to be equal. The world was bigger back then, and people were less enlightened.

We should be careful when we start removing statues. It reminds me of what ISIS is doing. Statues are our history. They also help make our city beautiful. I look at the statue of Napoleon, and I see a megalomaniac if ever there was one. Who in his right mind would want to honor Napoleon? Why is his statue there? Like it or not, he is a part of our history. A great man at a great time in history is recognized. It doesn't mean we worship the man or agree with all he did.

The Civil War and its relics represent a formative period in our history as a nation, as a region, as a city. They also represent a period of reconstruction and reconciliation, of transition from a defeated opponent into a proud partner. This time could also be a period of interest for our visitors. Isn't the entire city of New Orleans a museum?

Can't we think of some way to have our cake and eat it, too? Is there something we can do to keep our statues and to build Black pride, too; something like painting the statues black for ten years, or twenty, or fifty? Our city of 2060 will be richer for it.

Street names are different. They change all the time. Name them whatever you like. Lee’s Circle could change its name, and still keep the general.

I am puzzled by how after only a few days the black families of the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church can forgive Dylann Roof for his insane behavior, yet after 150 years we can't forgive the Southern slave owner? Why is that? If anyone is to blame for the battle that ensued, it’s the U.S. Government. They should have bought our way out of slavery with money rather than blood.

—Chief Cloudy Capstone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 02:52 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,774,505 times
What are the choices?

Old 07-13-2015, 04:03 PM

4,858 posts, read 7,563,656 times
I'm not a southerner, don't live in new Orleans, but I voted anyway.

I don't care.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:19 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,083,316 times
You have got to be ******* kidding me.

I guess we should build a statue to Hitler in Berlin. After all, you can't change history! Heritage! Bulls***....

Oh it's a troll. Nevermind. This is your first post?

Old 07-15-2015, 09:46 PM

860 posts, read 1,184,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You have got to be ******* kidding me.

I guess we should build a statue to Hitler in Berlin. After all, you can't change history! Heritage! Bulls***....

Oh it's a troll. Nevermind. This is your first post?
I thought I was reading this wrong. Did he really suggest painting the statues black? C'mon man.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:50 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,083,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
I thought I was reading this wrong. Did he really suggest painting the statues black? C'mon man.
This is why we as a community are angry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: