Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 11:54 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times

Advertisements

What's good New Orleans? I've decided to go big and book a vacation to New Orleans the first week of August. I'm from DC/NoVA and I will be staying downtown since it is close to the French Quarter and I can walk there without a car. What are things I have to do in my time there? Must have food? Must see sights accessible by streetcar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 05:18 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,460 times
In August? Are you nuts? Ah well..

The Ursulines Convent is usually the first thing I point people towards. It's the oldest building in the MS river valley and carries a strong amount of New Orleans lore - possibly the most lore in the city.

The Cabildo is State Museum of Louisiana. It's where the Louisiana Purchase ceremony was performed.

The riverwalk is an obvious must see, as is a trip on the Algiers ferry - $2 per trip. While you're in Algiers, walk around the point - the neighborhood was established in 1719 and there are beautiful houses there.

A trip to City Park via the Canal Street street car. City park is lovely and has so much to see and do. Research it.

A trip on the St. Charles street car line.

Audubon Park and Audubon Zoo.

Preservation Jazz Hall.

Take a trip on the Creole Queen to the Chalmette Battlefield.

A horse drawn carriage ride if you're coming with a loved one and want some romance. Particularly at night, especially in August.

So much more... Things to do and see here never stop.

Eats? Throw a dart on a map, it'll be good But I love the chicken tchoupitoulas at Coops Place (FQ) or a royal feast sandwich at Verti Mart (FQ). A must is a muffaletta at Central Grocery (FQ). Cafe Du Monde makes the best beignets you'll ever eat (FQ). The Joint makes damn good BBQ if you want something a little less traditionally New Orleans, but it's a bit of a walk from the quarter (Bywater). Mulates makes really good Cajun food (CBD), as does Cochon (Warehouse District).

Last edited by Mwahfromtheheart; 07-16-2015 at 05:32 PM..

Old 07-21-2015, 06:17 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Yeah, August is going to be HOT and humid. But, since you're booked, you have to make the best of the situation, right? In addition to the list above, I'd check out Camellia Grill on South Carollton in Uptown; its on the St. Charles Street Car line and nearby Audubon Park. Known for cheap, good eats, this was one of my favorites in the area. Plus, as they are open fairly late into the evening (can't say the same thing about most Uptown eateries), you can always go there once things have cooled down for the day.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:16 AM

167 posts, read 247,056 times
Satchmo Fest in usually 1-3rd August, it's a lot of fun and not as crowded as the French Quarter Fest.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:41 AM

Thanks NOLA folks. After the past couple of days in Virginia which have been over 100 heat index, at least I'll be prepared. How much do the streetcar fares run?

Old 07-21-2015, 12:48 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Thanks NOLA folks. After the past couple of days in Virginia which have been over 100 heat index, at least I'll be prepared. How much do the streetcar fares run?
I know it sounds cliche, but it's not the heat, it's the humidity. I think the streetcar is still $1.25. It's been a while since I've been on it...Or is it $1.50 now? I know it's cheap.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
I know it sounds cliche, but it's not the heat, it's the humidity. I think the streetcar is still $1.25. It's been a while since I've been on it...Or is it $1.50 now? I know it's cheap.
Actually, I found the RTA 3 day pass which may serve me well for $9. The $1.50 is a bargain compared to Metro here in DC which is at least a good $2 each way.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Actually, I found the RTA 3 day pass which may serve me well for $9. The $1.50 is a bargain compared to Metro here in DC which is at least a good $2 each way.
A good evening on the streetcar; Take it to Oak St., eat at Jacques Imo' s, then catch some great local music at the maple leaf bar. They are right next to each other, and it's a safe walk from the streetcar.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
A good evening on the streetcar; Take it to Oak St., eat at Jacques Imo' s, then catch some great local music at the maple leaf bar. They are right next to each other, and it's a safe walk from the streetcar.
And if you're feeling really adventurous, Snake and Jake's Christmas bar is close by. Hit that place at about 3 am and there's no telling what you might see. I don't hit the bars much anymore, but this has got to be one of the top 3 dive bars in the city.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:40 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
And if you're feeling really adventurous, Snake and Jake's Christmas bar is close by. Hit that place at about 3 am and there's no telling what you might see. I don't hit the bars much anymore, but this has got to be one of the top 3 dive bars in the city.
Good lord. The things I have seen coming out of Snake and Jake's, especially around Holloween (which seems to be every other weekend).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans