Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,169 times

Advertisements

Tried the Craigslist route.....too many scammers wanting to ship me a car from God knows where....sight unseen...

Please advise an honest, reliable used car sales person or lot in Metairie/Kenner area.....need a first car for teenaged son.

Finally, we had great luck in another city purchasing a car that had been a company car for insurance corp...they would routinely park their cars for sale in adjacent grocery store lot....excellent care, and under blue book price to move the cars....anything like that here?

Thanks for any and all input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 08:15 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Seems you don't have much of a budget. Metairie has all the car makes and all those dealers carry pre-owned. Carmax is also a trusted source. Good luck.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:01 PM

41 posts, read 58,980 times
If you want another fleet vehicle you could try calling some of the car rental companies. They always have cars for sale that are just a little too old to rent out, but have received scheduled maintenance all along. I doubt you'll find a used car dealer anywhere in the city, or the nation for that matter, that is absolutely regarded as honest and reliable. The truth is that they can't possibly know exactly how good or bad a car they're selling is, not when they've only owned it for a few days and have never driven it. As a result, every used car dealer is going to end up selling the occasional lemon from time to time. My recommendation is that you check everything before you buy. If you don't know how to identify problems in a used car, take it to a mechanic who can.

Personally I'm a big fan of buying sub-$1000 cars on Craigslist, but I never care if my car doesn't look so good and I know how to fix it when it breaks, so I don't recommend my method to everyone. The advantage of this is that if you buy a $500 car and keep it running, it will still be worth $500 when you sell it, no matter how much abuse you've thrown at it in the meantime.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:38 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,945 times
Bryan Chevrolet-Subaru was very good to me. I actually got a much better deal than I thought I would get. Probably the easiest car buying experience I've had. They took a long time to get my tag though. If you are mechanically inclined, listen to Chip. You're best bet is to buy very used down here.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:42 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip N Sawbones View Post
If you want another fleet vehicle you could try calling some of the car rental companies. They always have cars for sale that are just a little too old to rent out, but have received scheduled maintenance all along. I doubt you'll find a used car dealer anywhere in the city, or the nation for that matter, that is absolutely regarded as honest and reliable. The truth is that they can't possibly know exactly how good or bad a car they're selling is, not when they've only owned it for a few days and have never driven it. As a result, every used car dealer is going to end up selling the occasional lemon from time to time. My recommendation is that you check everything before you buy. If you don't know how to identify problems in a used car, take it to a mechanic who can.

Personally I'm a big fan of buying sub-$1000 cars on Craigslist, but I never care if my car doesn't look so good and I know how to fix it when it breaks, so I don't recommend my method to everyone. The advantage of this is that if you buy a $500 car and keep it running, it will still be worth $500 when you sell it, no matter how much abuse you've thrown at it in the meantime.
No offense, but with a budget like yours, you can only buy junk. I, like most motorists prefer to drive a newer, technologically advanced vehicle. Further, your tired assessment of the retail car business in general is confused at the least.
The OP must make the purchase decision on their own. If one has no skill at assessing the condition of a preowned car, they have little choice but to rely on the reputation of a retailer such as CARMAX.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:27 PM

41 posts, read 58,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
No offense, but with a budget like yours, you can only buy junk. I, like most motorists prefer to drive a newer, technologically advanced vehicle. Further, your tired assessment of the retail car business in general is confused at the least.
The OP must make the purchase decision on their own. If one has no skill at assessing the condition of a preowned car, they have little choice but to rely on the reputation of a retailer such as CARMAX.
A budget like mine was what allowed me to save up a carpenter's salary and pay cash for an $80,000 house that took just a year's work and some building materials to turn into an $180,000 house. Tell me, are mortgages and car payments fun to have? I wouldn't know.

The OP didn't say what their budget was, so I don't know if the high end of the used car market with a service like CARMAX is a good option for them. If we're talking about a kid learning to drive in New Orleans there's no point in getting anything too fancy; not in a city where drunk driving is still a recreational sport. If you aren't able to spot problems in a used car you can always take the car to a good mechanic to have them look it over and tell if it's a good deal or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans