Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:10 AM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,242 times

Advertisements

My daughter and I (mom) be driving through the area and plan on stopping in the New Orleans or surrounding area for the night. Want to stay kind of close to the 10. Can you recommend a hotel in a SAFE area, thats not too expensive? We'd like to be close to places to eat, maybe a mall, or someplace with something to do. Safety is my biggest concern. If there is another town within an hour west or east of there on the 10, that you'd recommend, we are open to that, too.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 12:08 PM

9 posts, read 65,317 times
You should try the Drury Inn on Poydras Street. Its a few blocks from the Superdome and if you book online with the esaver rate its usually pretty reasonable. Free breakfast also.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:16 PM

258 posts, read 1,020,738 times
Anything in the quarter is always fun.

Royal St.Charles or Chateu Le Moyne were my two favorite places I've stayed.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:50 PM

369 posts, read 1,639,149 times
Most Hotels in the Central Business District/Warehouse District/French Quarter are pretty good. If want a little more bang for your buck, think about some of the hotels in Metairie around Causeway Boulevard. Those are pretty close to Lakeside Mall, which is the best mall in the New Orleans area. I used to like the Doubletree, but I haven't stayed there in ages, so it may not even be operating under that name anymore.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:44 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,242 times
Thanks for all your input!

I have another question...

My daughter is a trumpet player and has always wanted to go to New Orleans. We'll only have one day to explore & see things. Any 'jazz' places that you'd suggest we go to? She is only 17, so we cant go to bars. Are there any jazz museums? Or anything like that?

Thanks!

Old 02-09-2008, 11:57 AM

French Quarter is where you should be spending all of your time.

It's got so much going on, you'll completely forget about the mall.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:00 PM

264 posts, read 1,151,509 times
Homewood Suites is the BEST hotel in Nawlins. On Poydras, its close to the riverwalk (mall!) and close to the superdome! Short walk to the French Quarter. The only place I stay when I come. Might be a little pricey, but it's worth every penny. You might want to check out a website I use for hotels alot- Tripadvisor.com its really useful! Hope this helps!

Old 02-23-2008, 04:11 PM

14 posts, read 45,089 times
Default You have to stay near the quarter

Go to priceline and put in $61 for a 4-star hotel in the quarter. If you don't get it there, try the business district next. My wife and I go all the time and we usually pick up a 4-star for that price. Any 4-star will be a great pick and don't worry about the security in the downtown area. Don't worry about your daughter being 17, it is very easy to get into most places if you remotely look close to 18. Eat lunch at the Port of Call for a burger or ACME Oyster house for great seafood. Cafe Dumond for Beignets in the morning or Mother's for breakfast as well. Any restaurant in the quarter for dinner will be a good option. Try to do a haunted walking tour at night, it is fantastic!!!

Old 02-24-2008, 06:33 PM

Port of call is amazing.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,862 times
Default need help for special vacation

my wife and i are planning a long over due 16th anaversary vacation. i would love to take her to see the french qaurter & what ever else is left of the big easy. i have been lucky enough to have enjoyed a trip before katrina. i am wandering what is the current conditions outside downtown. i enjoyed the great zoo on an earlier trip. also went on a boardwalk tour of a swamp/refuge area that was great.don't remmember the name.
i have been fortunate to have relatives in the area before . have lost contact with most now. an advice would be great. the wife also loves the beach. i think waveland miss. would be the closest ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans