Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 02:13 PM

80 posts, read 129,207 times

Advertisements

lol @ New Orleans being "conservative". You have a lot to learn my "Northern" friend (check your history, Maryland is questionable regionally, but being from where I'm from, y'all do appear very Northern to me).

Anyways, a large part of what makes Noo-AWL-lens (how people from here say it, not that "N'awlins" sh**. It's cool and cute when Paul Prudhomme say it, but we really don't pronounce the name of the city as if it's one word) unique is 1)our mix of cultures, influences, histories, food, etc; 2) the liberal nature of this city DESPITE being surrounded by very conservative neighborhoods (other parts of Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, etc.); and 3) our accents.

Calling us country is just.... wrong. Especially if you concluded that from how we talk. The New Orleans accent is as distinct as the character and charm of the city itself -- it contributes to it. Hell, we go to different parts of the country and our own state and call other people country.

We have a drawl, no doubt. But it isn't a slow ass country drawl. We got a different kind of drawl. It's more subtle and it's not as poignant as our Southern brethen. You really need to come down here and listen to people from here, just listen to the way we say certain words and compare it to how people in...say... Baton Rouge or even in Shreveport (hell, even in Mississippi or Texas) say it. Just completely different. We jack up words in ways you've never heard before.

For instance, you wanna know how you can tell someone is from New Orleans? I'mma give you an interesting clue: Think of any word with an "-oi-" cluster in it. Any word, such as boil, toilet, spoil, choices, voice -- any word like that. Now everybody else is gonna pronounce the word like you would typically hear, even the "country folk". However, someone from New Orleans is gonna pronounce "berl", "earl", "terlet", "sperl", etc. I'm telling you. The INSTANT you hear someone speak like that, you already know where they're from.

Consider this lesson 1 in Noo-AWL-lens 101. Class is in session.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:21 PM

768 posts, read 4,386,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald120 View Post
lol @ New Orleans being "conservative". You have a lot to learn my "Northern" friend (check your history, Maryland is questionable regionally, but being from where I'm from, y'all do appear very Northern to me).

Anyways, a large part of what makes Noo-AWL-lens (how people from here say it, not that "N'awlins" sh**. It's cool and cute when Paul Prudhomme say it, but we really don't pronounce the name of the city as if it's one word) unique is 1)our mix of cultures, influences, histories, food, etc; 2) the liberal nature of this city DESPITE being surrounded by very conservative neighborhoods (other parts of Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, etc.); and 3) our accents.

Calling us country is just.... wrong. Especially if you concluded that from how we talk. The New Orleans accent is as distinct as the character and charm of the city itself -- it contributes to it. Hell, we go to different parts of the country and our own state and call other people country.

We have a drawl, no doubt. But it isn't a slow ass country drawl. We got a different kind of drawl. It's more subtle and it's not as poignant as our Southern brethen. You really need to come down here and listen to people from here, just listen to the way we say certain words and compare it to how people in...say... Baton Rouge or even in Shreveport (hell, even in Mississippi or Texas) say it. Just completely different. We jack up words in ways you've never heard before.

For instance, you wanna know how you can tell someone is from New Orleans? I'mma give you an interesting clue: Think of any word with an "-oi-" cluster in it. Any word, such as boil, toilet, spoil, choices, voice -- any word like that. Now everybody else is gonna pronounce the word like you would typically hear, even the "country folk". However, someone from New Orleans is gonna pronounce "berl", "earl", "terlet", "sperl", etc. I'm telling you. The INSTANT you hear someone speak like that, you already know where they're from.

Consider this lesson 1 in Noo-AWL-lens 101. Class is in session.
Perhaps it is "Noo-Awl-lens" I always took it more as "N'awlins" and I don't think I've ever heard Chef Prudhomme say it. But I've heard it that way a lot, even while in New Orleans.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:31 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
MODERATOR: Cool it. And drop the reference to Jena every other word, it has nothing to do with how to pronounce New Orleans. Back on topic or move on, please.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:47 PM

369 posts, read 1,639,149 times
I have a ton of family from New Orleans and I can assure you that most New Orleanians prefer it said like "New Or'lenz" like a contact lenz. However, New Or'leenz is typically acceptable. Also, N'awlins is NOT acceptable, it will do nothing but make people there mad.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:09 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
MODERTOR:

I'm closing this thread, it can be reopened if everyone gets their wits about them again. I'm not sure how this went so far off track - maybe we should just look up the pronunciation in Wikipedia or Wiktionary and let it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans