Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:08 AM

130 posts, read 412,054 times

Advertisements

I'm from Maryland,I have 4 friends that came from New Orleans after Katrina and they laugh at my family when we say NEW ORLEANS to them,they swear we pronounce it wrong.

They say NA"AWLENS

I laugh and its not spelled that way lol.YALL ARE JUST COUNTRY LOL.AM I WRONG?

Old 02-11-2008, 10:31 AM

768 posts, read 4,385,269 times
It's N'awlins. People outside of south Louisiana often say New Or-lee-ans or New Or-leens. I had a friend from New Orleans as a child so I learned early to call it N'awlins.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:44 AM

794 posts, read 3,356,315 times
Agree. People who say New Or'Lee'ens or New Or'leens are not from New Orleans and have probably never even been to New Orleans. It's a lot like saying Bowston or Bawston. It's called local dialect; not "country".
It's cool to laugh about it up north where it doesn't matter. But don't be surprised if the joke is on you if you're ever in this neck of the woods. People will think you're the one that is "country".

Old 02-11-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
Agree. People who say New Or'Lee'ens or New Or'leens are not from New Orleans and have probably never even been to New Orleans. It's a lot like saying Bowston or Bawston. It's called local dialect; not "country".
It's cool to laugh about it up north where it doesn't matter. But don't be surprised if the joke is on you if you're ever in this neck of the woods. People will think you're the one that is "country".
Never do they call us country,they do make fun of us and say we talk city,as to say we pronounced it incorrect because of our northern dialect.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:07 AM

I find this whole city/country thing quite intriguing considering New Orleans is quite a large city, and there's nothing country about it. Like Boston and San Francisco, it's one of our nation's most dense, urban cities.

I never call someone "city" for not being able to pronounce New Orleans, I just laugh and call them Yankees. I joke, but it is true.

The people in Chicago talk funny but I've never considered them country.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:10 AM

Next time you greet them, ask "Where you at?" but say it so it sounds like "Where y'at". After they stare at you and wonder where you got that from, they'll probably reply to you, how they're doing.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
I find this whole city/country thing quite intriguing considering New Orleans is quite a large city, and there's nothing country about it.
I agree. There is nothing country about NOLA. For much of south Louisiana, you will find few people who would even admit that they are "country". You're either from the city or town, or you're from "down the bayou".
I'll admit though, I consider much of the Florida Parishes minus the North Shore urbanized areas as country.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
I agree. There is nothing country about NOLA. For much of south Louisiana, you will find few people who would even admit that they are "country". You're either from the city or town, or you're from "down the bayou".
I'll admit though, I consider much of the Florida Parishes minus the North Shore urbanized areas as country.

LMFAO New orleans is country as hell! The way you talk,the conservative mentalities,the mentalities toward religion,the dialects,everything is just so country.You think we mean backwood country like JENA??,No!,yet its still country and the similarities are extraordinary.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD_IS_NORTH View Post
LMFAO New orleans is country as hell! The way you talk,the conservative mentalities,the mentalities toward religion,the dialects,everything is just so country.You think we mean backwood country like JENA??,No!,yet its still country and the similarities are extraordinary.
I see what you're saying but down here we don't call it country. It's southern.

BUT New Orleans.... conservative? I mean I realize I don't live there, but that city is one of the most diverse I've ever seen. Everything from vanilla white people like myself, to flamboyant homosexuals parading in the streets, to vampires, etc etc.

Conservative? No way, man... not the New Orleans I love. And this coming from a very conservative guy... if I considered New Orleans conservative I just don't think I'd like it as much. Shreveport is conservative... not N'awlins.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
I see what you're saying but down here we don't call it country. It's southern.

BUT New Orleans.... conservative? I mean I realize I don't live there, but that city is one of the most diverse I've ever seen. Everything from vanilla white people like myself, to flamboyant homosexuals parading in the streets, to vampires, etc etc.

Conservative? No way, man... not the New Orleans I love. And this coming from a very conservative guy... if I considered New Orleans conservative I just don't think I'd like it as much. Shreveport is conservative... not N'awlins.
Ok i see what you mean about not calling it country,we call it country because those similarities,yet there are differences and thats because its still a city.When i say conservative i usually mean the attitudes toward religion,its like the average person in Maryland does not have a strong desire or belonging to religious churches as they do in the south,the mentality of many here may be more towards science while southerners carry the good ole conservative mindsets toward it.Like my family in Southern Virginia and Tennesee told me RAP MUSIC WAS THE DEVILS MUSIC,like the whole church agreed with her and they became angry at me when i disagreed because the statement has so many holes in it lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans