Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 02:17 PM

806 posts, read 877,089 times

Advertisements

With the help of liberal white apologists , it happens .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 02:24 PM

9 posts, read 12,450 times
My wife has had items thrown at her from moving vehicles by men yelling, "Get the **** out of here, you white *****!" while she's out walking the dog minding her own business.

That does not happen in every city.

The part of that that bothers us the most is the "white" part. We were taught to treat EVERYONE with respect and consideration regardless of color, ethnicities, purple unicorn-ness, etc.

And this IS a violent city. Let's be honest.

But, let me ask, you'd be cool with your wife and daughter paying $950 a month to live and wander around the area of Felicity and Chippewa?

I've lived in Harlem, Alabama, Biloxi, Austin, among other places. New Orleans is its own ballgame in the violence and racism departments.

Also, the Times-Picayune and The Advocate are good sources for a regular rundown of the murders. Last week, in one day, there were 29 major crimes (homicides, armed robberies, rapes) within one mile of my place in the Lower Garden District, which also happens to be the most expensive neighborhood as well (I, obviously, don't live in that part).

How does that not mesh with what I said about being careful which street you live on?

Annie, being in control of a gun and threatening to or actually killing someone because of their color -- any color -- is a hate crime. Being in possession of a deadly weapon tends to nullify whatever systemic economic and social oppression either person experiences.

I don't hate the city. I'm just trying to be honest. The way people were with me when I moved to town.

Everyone finds their own way to love it. Among other things, there are many kind, compassionate, caring, helpful and smart people in this city. But let's not bury our heads in the sand about the problems (or maybe that's why they've been around so long) in New Orleans. Apathy doesn't look good on any city.

Edit: Also NOPD's Major Offense Log: http://www.nola.gov/nopd/major-offense-log/

Old 07-03-2016, 03:52 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writingpoli View Post
My wife has had items thrown at her from moving vehicles by men yelling, "Get the **** out of here, you white *****!" while she's out walking the dog minding her own business.

That does not happen in every city.

The part of that that bothers us the most is the "white" part. We were taught to treat EVERYONE with respect and consideration regardless of color, ethnicities, purple unicorn-ness, etc.

And this IS a violent city. Let's be honest.

But, let me ask, you'd be cool with your wife and daughter paying $950 a month to live and wander around the area of Felicity and Chippewa?

I've lived in Harlem, Alabama, Biloxi, Austin, among other places. New Orleans is its own ballgame in the violence and racism departments.

Also, the Times-Picayune and The Advocate are good sources for a regular rundown of the murders. Last week, in one day, there were 29 major crimes (homicides, armed robberies, rapes) within one mile of my place in the Lower Garden District, which also happens to be the most expensive neighborhood as well (I, obviously, don't live in that part).

How does that not mesh with what I said about being careful which street you live on?

Annie, being in control of a gun and threatening to or actually killing someone because of their color -- any color -- is a hate crime. Being in possession of a deadly weapon tends to nullify whatever systemic economic and social oppression either person experiences.

I don't hate the city. I'm just trying to be honest. The way people were with me when I moved to town.

Everyone finds their own way to love it. Among other things, there are many kind, compassionate, caring, helpful and smart people in this city. But let's not bury our heads in the sand about the problems (or maybe that's why they've been around so long) in New Orleans. Apathy doesn't look good on any city.

Edit: Also NOPD's Major Offense Log: NOPD - Major Offense Log - City of New Orleans
I'm sorry that happened to your wife. If something like that happened to me I guess it would make me a little jaded also.

I'm not big on checking the stats daily. I have lived here for a total of 10 years, seven of those years with my family.we've never had any problems with crime. My stepdaughter is now 22 and has her own place off of Napoleon, and she goes to school, works, and has a very social life. She is out at all hours and never has a problem.

There is definitely too much crime down here, but I think if it was as bad as you say, we would have had some problems somewhere. Maybe we're just lucky. I know it's possible to be a victim at any time, in any city, but I'm not going to change the way I live out of fear. If I get to the point that I'm nervous to take a walk in my own neighborhood, I will move.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:10 AM

52 posts, read 44,202 times
New Orleans is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, it is humid and crazy-hot, and it has obscene levels of violence, especially in certain neighborhoods. I wouldn't live there, but I am quite sure that other than the crime levels, I would love living there. The food is incredible and it is easily one of the most magical cities in the world.

America should be pouring billions into New Orleans to turn it into the safe, peaceful tourist mecca that it should be. I don't mean gentrification, I mean a safe place for kids to grow up, that this obscenely wealthy nation takes care of.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxelipsus View Post
New Orleans is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, it is humid and crazy-hot, and it has obscene levels of violence, especially in certain neighborhoods. I wouldn't live there, but I am quite sure that other than the crime levels, I would love living there. The food is incredible and it is easily one of the most magical cities in the world.

America should be pouring billions into New Orleans to turn it into the safe, peaceful tourist mecca that it should be. I don't mean gentrification, I mean a safe place for kids to grow up, that this obscenely wealthy nation takes care of.
My kid gets to go to awesome festivals almost every weekend. My kid gets to see the Mardi Gras Indians on Mardi Gras morning, my kid gets to dress up for almost every holiday. My kid goes to a school that has a 10 rating on great schools.

Things could definitely be better down here, but they aren't as bad as the news would have you believe. I wouldn't trade my life in New Orleans for any other city. Every where else I have lived is boring in comparison, and the violence that you talk about is not an issue in our lives....at least it's not an issue in my daughter's life. I would love to see the crime rate go down, but my everyday life is no different than any city I've lived in.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
My kid gets to go to awesome festivals almost every weekend. My kid gets to see the Mardi Gras Indians on Mardi Gras morning, my kid gets to dress up for almost every holiday. My kid goes to a school that has a 10 rating on great schools.

Things could definitely be better down here, but they aren't as bad as the news would have you believe. I wouldn't trade my life in New Orleans for any other city. Every where else I have lived is boring in comparison, and the violence that you talk about is not an issue in our lives....at least it's not an issue in my daughter's life. I would love to see the crime rate go down, but my everyday life is no different than any city I've lived in.
I agree completely that for many or even most in New Orleans, it's not an issue. It's home and it's safe and it's lovely.

But statistically speaking, a lot of New Orleans needs help. It needs more police, better paid police, better training, better economic prospects, new ways to heal the city and tackle crime, and in terms of economic statistics there are still way too many people below the poverty line for America to be okay with this. In such a rich country, there do not need to be tens of millions below the poverty line. A lot of the people below the poverty line are Black Americans. A lot of them and their families have been below the poverty line ever since emancipation. There are also millions of non Black Americans below the poverty line. I don't know how America can move forward and be proud of itself while it has tens of millions struggling to survive, while tens of millions more live in relative luxury.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
I agree completely that for many or even most in New Orleans, it's not an issue. It's home and it's safe and it's lovely.

But statistically speaking, a lot of New Orleans needs help. It needs more police, better paid police, better training, better economic prospects, new ways to heal the city and tackle crime, and in terms of economic statistics there are still way too many people below the poverty line for America to be okay with this. In such a rich country, there do not need to be tens of millions below the poverty line. A lot of the people below the poverty line are Black Americans. A lot of them and their families have been below the poverty line ever since emancipation. There are also millions of non Black Americans below the poverty line. I don't know how America can move forward and be proud of itself while it has tens of millions struggling to survive, while tens of millions more live in relative luxury.
I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying that not everyone down here is dodging bullets when they walk out their front door.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:11 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:

The poor keep the rich, rich. They need us to buy their junk because we think we need it.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The poor keep the rich, rich. They need us to buy their junk because we think we need it.
Exactly. Because they convince us we need it by spending billions brainwashing/hypnotizing (advertising) us to think so.

We also keep the rich rich as the poor pay their taxes, the middle class pay tons of taxes, and the richest of the rich (including the billion dollar corporations) pay lawyers to get them out of their taxes instead of paying taxes.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:35 AM

712 posts, read 1,092,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying that not everyone down here is dodging bullets when they walk out their front door.
True, especially many parts of New Orleans East which many people want to condemn as a whole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans