U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 07:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,883 times

Advertisements

I have a week off from work and school this July and im thinking of heading down to either to New Orleans or Memphis.

I appreciate the rich history of New Orleans and would like to experience Cajun culture and the whole funky "aura" of the city.

I have a limited budget so a french quarter hotel is out of my price range. One place I was looking at staying is the St. Vincent's guesthouse on Magazine Street which is low priced "no frills" type lodging in a 150yr old historic building.

But I am a bit concerned about the neighborhood I will be in. The hotel is at 1507 magazine street near between a couple of parks called "coliseum square" and "annunciation square". Judging by the map it is about a mile or so south of the french quarter.

Is this a relatively safe area, or a bad neighborhood? I will not have a car and will have to walk to the french quarter area during the day. Of course at night I would take a cab back to the hotel.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 PM

595 posts, read 2,269,806 times
a. New Orleans isn't Cajun. It's Creole if anything.

b. I've stayed at St. Vincent's many times, it's not the nicest place to stay although the owner is a fairly nice guy. He cannot afford to fix that building up, that said the neighborhood is pretty nice. It's not as busy as Uptown or the Quarter...but I do have a soft spot for the Lower Garden District. Look at the Prytania Park Hotel which is nearby...I liked staying there before I moved here.

c. it's not a low or high crime area. Stuff does happen in that area but its also made up of $750,000 Greek revival homes from the 1830s. Nothing is wholly safe in New Orleans, just keep an eye on who is behind you and don't stop and talk to strangers in spots away from other people. Of course I stayed in that area for 12 years in my travels here and I didn't ever have a problem so YMMV.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:28 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,848,952 times
I would walk to St. Charles Ave. and take the street car to avoid the walk Or as much walking as possible

Last edited by Drouzin; 02-26-2008 at 08:37 PM..

Old 02-29-2008, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 11,974 times
I work about a block away from the area you are talking about. Check out the Avenue Garden Hotel. Summer Rates are usually pretty low. July 4th weekend which is Essence Fest is pretty expensive but other than that you can prob find a room at the AGH for around $50 a night. Some rooms are really nice and some are just okay (all at the same price) free coffee and tea in the morning and right on the street car line. they have a website but to see more pics i would go to tripadvisor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans