U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 PM

6 posts, read 26,654 times

Advertisements

In May I plan to arrive in Metairie, LA to spend my summer working (May-Sept.). I accepted this job with a inkling of concern because I'm from Jamaica and I'm also Black.

Firstly, racism. I've never been to those so-called black states but what I've heard from the media is that they're the most racist states in the USA. Does this hold true for Metairie? If yes, what exactly can I expect to encounter from both White, Hispanic and Black residents?

Secondly, money. Although I am assured a job, due to my: college expenses, tuition, and the need for a powerful laptop I will forced to obtain a second job. Which areas and companies in Metaire would most likely hire me with a greater than $8.00 an hour rate requiring more than 30 hours per week? Is there a job agency I could go through to obtain a second job like this or even better?

Thirdly, location. I could apt for the nearby area of Kenner. Give me three reasons why/why not I should live there verses Metairie.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 08:25 AM

3 posts, read 12,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
In May I plan to arrive in Metairie, LA to spend my summer working (May-Sept.). I accepted this job with a inkling of concern because I'm from Jamaica and I'm also Black.

Firstly, racism. I've never been to those so-called black states but what I've heard from the media is that they're the most racist states in the USA. Does this hold true for Metairie? If yes, what exactly can I expect to encounter from both White, Hispanic and Black residents?

You will do fine here. Areas around New Orleans have a good mixture of races. I believe you will fit in with no problem.

Secondly, money. Although I am assured a job, due to my: college expenses, tuition, and the need for a powerful laptop I will forced to obtain a second job. Which areas and companies in Metaire would most likely hire me with a greater than $8.00 an hour rate requiring more than 30 hours per week? Is there a job agency I could go through to obtain a second job like this or even better?

My best advise to you about jobs. Check with local temp agency. They usually pay at least $9 to $10 per hour. sometimes more it depends on what job assignment you get. Also, there are also temp to perm positions and long term assignments. A good one to contact is Kelly Services.

Thirdly, location. I could apt for the nearby area of Kenner. Give me three reasons why/why not I should live there verses Metairie.
I don't know much about the living conditions around that area. But, you may want to contact the city directly. Because I am not sure if you want to live around New Orleans, because I don't think all areas are up and running, since Katrina. Most local residence are having diffucult issue getting their homes rebuild or locating residencey.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:58 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,640,055 times
Hello Julian I live on the other side of NOLA so I'm not familiar with any big differences between Metairie and Kenner other than you may want to make sure that if you choose Kenner that you try to avoide living near the airport. The Metairie/Kenner area has lots of shopping and restaurants available and the traffic can be bad. The area was affected by Katrina, but is up and running really well.

As for finding a 2nd job check craigslist and the local paper nola.com for classified ads. There are also many temporary job agencies that may be able to help you put your IT skills to good use for a good wage.

As for the racisim question, I'd like to think that most people in the area would be kind and courteous, but we all know that not everyone is that way. There are mean spirited people where ever you go, no more here than anywhere else.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do. It takes a lot of bravery to leave your country to go and live in another. BTW I love those Jamacian accents!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:02 AM

595 posts, read 2,177,684 times
Generally speaking 90% of people are quite nice. There are stereotypes that go on to some degree mostly due to the black on black (really class, less race) violence in the poor areas of New Orleans...but people would have a hard time living here if they had a chip on their shoulder in regards to race.
Its a very mixed area of white and black people.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:34 PM

177 posts, read 740,409 times
Racism - Not enough of an issue to worry about. You can find it if you look for it -- just don't look and you'll be fine.
Money - Don't know about anything specific but unemployment isn't a big issue here.
Location - Metairie is probably marginally better and a little more expensive than Kenner but there should be acceptable locations in either place. You're biggest concern would be getting around and more specifically traffic. You can mostly take back roads to avoid most of that.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
Hello Julian...

...There are also many temporary job agencies that may be able to help you put your IT skills to good use for a good wage...

...Good luck with what ever you decide to do. It takes a lot of bravery to leave your country to go and live in another. BTW I love those Jamacian accents!

everi ting cool mon

I was checking around on the Net for some of those agencies you mentioned and they seem promising. Could you point me to one (or a few) that particularly deals with web designers/developers, entry level c++ programmers or really good rates for basic jobs, like > $10.

I'm very interested in these agencies because I did work in the US last year and one of the guys got through with an agency and made at least US $3000 more than any of us.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:24 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,640,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
everi ting cool mon

I was checking around on the Net for some of those agencies you mentioned and they seem promising. Could you point me to one (or a few) that particularly deals with web designers/developers, entry level c++ programmers or really good rates for basic jobs, like > $10.

I'm very interested in these agencies because I did work in the US last year and one of the guys got through with an agency and made at least US $3000 more than any of us.
Lol! Glad "everi ting cool! I wish I could help you more, but I'm not familar with web design/developers or any of the temp agencies. My sister used to use those temp agencies way back in the 90's to pick up extra jobs on the side. It was an excellent way for her to network and follow other potential job leads. When I saw your post I remembered her positive experiences and thought to pass it on. Another advantage for her was that she wasn't stuck working in an office setting she didn't like for very long. Best wishes

Old 03-04-2008, 08:35 PM

I found out that Metairie was the major area in the NO metropolitan area that supported David Duke. The man who founded the Louisiana-based Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, a Ku Klux Klan group. This is just one of his controversial affiliations.

Correct me if I'm mistaken but don't citizens usually support someone who shares their ideals or at least accepts that it's for the best. Based on this assumption I can conclude that many persons in the Metairie area supported his ideals.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:20 AM

3 posts, read 12,299 times
Julian,
Your asking too much. Living in Metairie is not all that. David Duke I believed residence was in Denham Springs, La. Besides, why are you so uptight about the racism, it really is not that much of a big deal here. No, matter where you go, there will be some issues in Louisiana. But, I am an african american, and I don't see it as that much of a problem for you to worry about. You will be fine.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:12 PM

24 posts, read 122,032 times
Default We lived in Metairie and I loved it!

Julian,

I am Italian, and my husband is African American, we have a 13 year old daughter together. We lived in Metairie for many years and left due to the hurricane. We did get a few "go to hell" stares from some older white people, but no blatant racism. Metairie and Kenner are very racially diverse. I don't think you will have a problem at all down there! You know there are ignorant racist people everywhere but there are also a lot more kind, decent people that respect all humanity! David Duke was just one of the ignorant ones! I was ashmed that he was from LA.!

Where are you planning on living in Kenner? If you PM me, I can tell you if the area is o.k. or not. There are some really bad areas in Kenner, so just be careful!

Bri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans