Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 01:56 PM

29 posts, read 28,414 times

Advertisements

I was born & raised there. Been living out of state since 2006. What's it like in New Orleans to live now? Is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 01:58 PM

29 posts, read 28,414 times
I would like to move to Metairie or Kenner. How is it to live there now?

Old 12-14-2016, 03:40 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,330 times
Did you like it when you were here before? I think there have been some changes for the better, but honestly there are some things that will probably never change here, which is good and bad to me, if that makes sense. It wouldn't be New Orleans without some of those things. I love it here, and there is nowhere else I would rather be, but you have to take the bad with the good. If you were born and raised here you already know what I'm talking about (crime, bad streets, slow or nonexistent city services, flooding...). All of the things that you miss are still here also, so if you miss those things more than you were glad to get away from the other things...

Old 12-20-2016, 03:48 AM

27 posts, read 28,210 times
Honestly, depends on a number of answers.
- Do you have children?
- What profession are you in?
- Do you mind living on the Westbank if you can't afford a house outside of the East or Gentilly (quickly being swallowed by AirBnB!!!!)

Now, I definitely think if you don't have kids you should return. Most of my friends (Black, White, Vietnamese, Latino; Catholic, Jewish, Muslim; working-class, middle-class, upper-class; downtown, uptown, etc., etc.,) have considered moving now that they have kids. A tell-tale sign though, most have stayed... they've considered... but have stayed.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:23 AM

307 posts, read 245,758 times
Born and raised there, left when I was 22, returned a year and a half before Katrina hit, left again after that, will never, ever go back.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:18 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
There's no reason to go back.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:52 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,330 times
I think the trick is in how you do it. The first time I moved here was on a whim. I had a couple hundred dollars in my pocket, three garbage bags full of clothes in the hatchback of my car, and no knowledge of the city, except in my mind it was the coolest city in the world. I took a huge pay cut, and struggled for 3 years, even though I loved every minute of it. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything, and I learned that a city could take hold of your heart and not let go. I knew I wanted to move back if I ever had the chance.

The second time I moved here I had a family and I knew I had to do it the right way. I made sure I had a job that could support my family, I made sure my kids were in a great school, and I made sure I lived in a safe neighborhood.

Getting older is a curse and a blessing. I don't have that crazy, anything goes attitude, and sometimes I miss it, but my life is much better. Maybe a little more boring, but much better. I hope that's not too much information, just reminiscing on the past on Christmas night. Maybe it's relevant, or maybe not.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:55 PM

83 posts, read 77,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandC825 View Post
I would like to move to Metairie or Kenner. How is it to live there now?
Kenner and New Orleans has a lot going on these days. I recently moved to Kenner after living uptown my whole life. The housing in Jefferson parish is definitely more affordable overall than that in Orleans and there are tons of good eating and entertainment options. If I didn't work in New Orleans, I probably wouldn't venture that way nearly as much as I do.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:26 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
There's nothing going on in Kenner, what do you mean? It's stagnant and no entertainment options when you compare it to the city.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:13 AM

83 posts, read 77,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
There's nothing going on in Kenner, what do you mean? It's stagnant and no entertainment options when you compare it to the city.

In terms of the housing market, there is a lot going on. There is a lot of new construction and renovations and the prices on average are a lot more affordable than Orleans Parish. Of course you aren't as close to the action of New Orleans, but there is always a trade off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans