Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 07:51 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times

Advertisements

I would get a job first before you move down. Also, tell us which neighborhood you plan to be living in. The differences between neighborhoods can be a difference between death and life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 08:11 AM

860 posts, read 1,193,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I would get a job first before you move down. Also, tell us which neighborhood you plan to be living in. The differences between neighborhoods can be a difference between death and life.
Cbach, I always appreciate your posts, but this sounds a little dramatic. You have a chance of being killed in any bad neighborhood in any city. I know people who have lived in the ninth ward and central city for years and have never been shot. Technically, I guess you're right, just sounds a little extreme.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:26 PM

8 posts, read 7,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
So i'll be looking for places to rent (roomshares) in the bywater/marigny or the lower/upper garden district around magazine st or st charles. i think those are good areas! but also what can you tell me about algiers? as far as jobs go i will be working on trying to land one before i move down. but i may just move down without one, because since i am young and only have 2 years in the professional workforce, many companies won't wait for me to move. i have money saved up, so i am not worried about it. having said that, i have heard many people complain on here about the lack of professional jobs in NOLA. Again, I do work in HR/office administration, which is something that every company needs. So i am not too worried about finding something, but the posts on here do make me just a bit nervous. however i know a lot of disgruntled people like to get on this forum and **** talk. but you seem reasonable, whats your take on it?

Old 07-02-2017, 05:38 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,795,598 times
Indeed.com

Old 07-02-2017, 08:14 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolabound2016 View Post
So i'll be looking for places to rent (roomshares) in the bywater/marigny or the lower/upper garden district around magazine st or st charles. i think those are good areas! but also what can you tell me about algiers? as far as jobs go i will be working on trying to land one before i move down. but i may just move down without one, because since i am young and only have 2 years in the professional workforce, many companies won't wait for me to move. i have money saved up, so i am not worried about it. having said that, i have heard many people complain on here about the lack of professional jobs in NOLA. Again, I do work in HR/office administration, which is something that every company needs. So i am not too worried about finding something, but the posts on here do make me just a bit nervous. however i know a lot of disgruntled people like to get on this forum and **** talk. but you seem reasonable, whats your take on it?
I would personally choose Marigny over LGD. You can walk to anything of interest and less tourists. LGD vs. Bywater is a toss-up IMHO. Algiers is so isolated I wouldn't live there.

You can probably get an HR gig in one of the office buildings downtown or in a hotel.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:21 AM

65 posts, read 75,562 times
I also think that Algiers would feel too isolated, especially since you're coming from NYC. I would suggest either the upper/lower Garden District or even Marigny/Bywater if you prefer a slightly grittier feel. You may also like the Irish Channel. My ultimate favorite area is near Audubon Park because I love all of the greenery...and being close to that amazing park, of course! Pro tip: take a walk around the entire park loop at least 4 days a week to avoid gaining weight from all of our amazing food. It's worked for me so far, LOL.

I personally wouldn't let a lack of a job stop me from moving down here, especially if I had a decent amount of money saved up. If you wait until you secure a job, you may never make the move. As you know, it's much easier to get a job when you have a local address and can get to an interview within a day's notice. Best of luck to you and I'm sure you're going to love it here! We moved here from Los Angeles two years ago and have never regretted it. My favorite aspect about the city is that it still has a small town feel somehow...and yes, much more room to breathe!

Old 07-09-2017, 09:33 PM

8 posts, read 7,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl17 View Post
I also think that Algiers would feel too isolated, especially since you're coming from NYC. I would suggest either the upper/lower Garden District or even Marigny/Bywater if you prefer a slightly grittier feel. You may also like the Irish Channel. My ultimate favorite area is near Audubon Park because I love all of the greenery...and being close to that amazing park, of course! Pro tip: take a walk around the entire park loop at least 4 days a week to avoid gaining weight from all of our amazing food. It's worked for me so far, LOL.

I personally wouldn't let a lack of a job stop me from moving down here, especially if I had a decent amount of money saved up. If you wait until you secure a job, you may never make the move. As you know, it's much easier to get a job when you have a local address and can get to an interview within a day's notice. Best of luck to you and I'm sure you're going to love it here! We moved here from Los Angeles two years ago and have never regretted it. My favorite aspect about the city is that it still has a small town feel somehow...and yes, much more room to breathe!
Thanks for this! I have heard good things about Irish Channel, I'll look into it a little bit more. I absolutely love Audubon Park, especially the part on the river (the fly). Such a happy place to be with everyone outside enjoying themselves. And noted about the weight gain lol.

And luckily, I have just found out I got hired for a contract doing research remotely. So, I will have a bit of income my first month there which gives me plenty of time to find a job. I definitely agree it is easier to find a job when you are actually in the city and able to interview at a moments notice. I am still baffled at how I managed to get a job in NYC before I actually moved there lol. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your move from a big city to new orleans. I am so ready to get out of NYC and be able to breathe! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans