Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 09:28 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,858,753 times

Advertisements

Suspected Drunken Driver Slams Into New Orleans Parade Crowd, 28 Hurt: Cops - NBC News

You do know, we could stop this crap, fund the police and courts in short order. If you don't believe it check out Georgia, Texas, Florida and many other states.

HOW:
1. Automatic year and a day for anyone refusing a breath test. (as in Georgia) Guy smashed me had 12 DUI's, suspended but car was registered in his name

2. Forfeit of vehicle for anyone caught drinking and driving(auction off cars)

3. Make it a law that mothers against drunk driving, has to be notified and at court in any vehicle alcohol related driving incident. make it a whole lot harder to fix dui tickets.

Could you imagine how much just doing these thangs would drop our insurance rates.

For anyone that doesn't know Louisiana has the highest car insurance rate in the country, Georiga has the lowest.

It may be time for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 09:31 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Obviously doing the thIngs has not worked to completely get people who drink and drive or drive with a suspended license
off of the roads and out from behind the wheel of a vehicle.
There is not one law for any issue that will fix that issue completely. Humans have free will to do as they choose and many choose to break the law with the hopes of not getting caught.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:01 AM

Yep, but as in many other states, getting a DUI is no joke, and it puts a real curb on it. Was smashed by a drunk running a red light a few years ago, he told me, have no insurance, drivers liscense, have warrants, call the cops there not coming anyway, 5 hours later when I walked to the police station realized he was right. Family lawyer said forget about it, just a waiste of time, just be glad u didn't kick his arse, cause he would have sued u for all u had and won, lol. Try that in one of the states I mentioned see how it works out. Humans have a free will, and in many of these states way fewer folks chance driving around loaded up like this for fear of what will happen if caught not a slap on the wrist.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:05 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,019,807 times
Louisiana court system coddles the DUI offenders with abandon. The whole state is full of backwood redneck judges and lawyers who would rather lock up somebody for MJ for10 years than a drunk driver whose on his 10th DWI arrest. Alcohol rules here. I don't know how to change it. There must be outrage by the public and I'm afraid its not happening. Where are the good men and women?

Old 02-26-2017, 03:21 PM

http://news.google.com/news/url?sr=1...=h&st=1&at=dt0
,223 about how drunk the guy was that smashed up my truck. Please tell me this guy is gona do sum serious jail time and wont be able to register a car in his name for a vary vary long time

Old 02-26-2017, 03:50 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
This wouldn't work, it will just fill our prisons with more non-violent offenders on tax payer dime.
The death penalty doesn't stop murderers so why would stiffer penalties stop drunk driving?

Old 02-26-2017, 04:22 PM

Oh it definitely works, you should see all the cabs lined up outside bars in Atlanta at closing time, lol. Too get a DUI in Georgia is the same as financial suicide to all but the wealthiest of people. Getting a DUI in Louisiana is a joke, have known people that have got another DUI while not going to court on 1st and laugh about it. 10+ DUI's in Georgia, forget it never gona happen, lol. Oh yea, anyone over a 1.5 in Georgia is a felony, no slap on the wrist even for the 1st time. Oh yea the police dept and courts stay well funded, and trust me if this place was run like Georgia, they would have a surplus u wouldn't believe, no joke.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:24 PM

806 posts, read 876,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
This wouldn't work, it will just fill our prisons with more non-violent offenders on tax payer dime.
The death penalty doesn't stop murderers so why would stiffer penalties stop drunk driving?

How would YOU handle drunk drivers ?

Old 02-27-2017, 09:37 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Oh it definitely works, you should see all the cabs lined up outside bars in Atlanta at closing time, lol. Too get a DUI in Georgia is the same as financial suicide to all but the wealthiest of people. Getting a DUI in Louisiana is a joke, have known people that have got another DUI while not going to court on 1st and laugh about it. 10+ DUI's in Georgia, forget it never gona happen, lol. Oh yea, anyone over a 1.5 in Georgia is a felony, no slap on the wrist even for the 1st time. Oh yea the police dept and courts stay well funded, and trust me if this place was run like Georgia, they would have a surplus u wouldn't believe, no joke.
Louisiana is ranked 13, higher than the rest of the south outside of Texas and Georgia and higher than most of the nation. https://wallethub.com/edu/dui-penalties-by-state/13549/

They've had almost 4 times as many DUI arrests in 2016, despite being lest than 3 times larger than Louisiana.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
How would YOU handle drunk drivers ?
I'm not completely sure but better transit is a great start as well as the possibility for taxpayer funded Uber or Lyft stands in entertainment districts. We already spend enough money on policing, why not divert that to preventative means? Instead of paying police overtime and for road blocks, etc, paying for a few hundred Uber rides seems like it would be much cheaper.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:59 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,973,733 times
My sister was killed by a drunk boater who had, a few days prior, gotten stopped for drunk driving (on the roads). Lawyers angled to get the 2nd case (that of my sister) to court before the 1st (the 'on land' one) and successfully got him off completely on both counts. That was many years ago but it still rankles me today - not just that the guy did it and got away with it all .. but that the legal system (judges/lawyers) would even allow that kind of shuffling, knowing what the result could be.

You bet I am mad as heck when I hear this kind of story. The guy who killed my sister was a 45 year old veterinarian (not just a young kid feeling his oats for the first time .. though that is no 'excuse' either). I would say that given the two events he had a real alcohol problem and people had probably been ignoring it for years.

As for the case in Louisiana - you have to be kidding .. a maximum of 5 years is all he may get for what he did? People in LA (and anywhere else this sort of thing is treated so casually) SHOULD be outraged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans