Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:36 AM

595 posts, read 2,343,902 times

Advertisements

Well the problem with the Wankbank is developers uglied it up in the 1960s-Present. There are the occasional nice areas but it's fairly oriented like Metarie but much more blight.

I may run off to the occasional Vietnamese eatery or Barnes and Noble over there...but God's country as my coworker calls it, needs some serious redevelopment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 11:08 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,080 times
Quote:
well my advise to you really is not even to come down here to new orleans seriously anywhere you go is pretty bad now (even suburbs are getting REAL BAD) but if you have to move there DONT GO TO NEW ORLEANS!
It's obvious you aren't familiar with the NOLA metro area; there are some really nice and safe neighborhoods both in the city and it's suburbs. St. Bernard has one of the best reputations in the area as far as crime goes.

Quote:
The people in the suburbs have NO idea what they are talking about.
It would have been better if you had told the poster that he/she didn't know what they were talking about rather than to generalize about all people in the suburbs.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:22 AM

595 posts, read 2,343,902 times
True, but I get it from the middle income types at work from Metarie and the Northshore all the time. They act as if they had to run the gauntlet to get to work.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:42 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,080 times
I understand Vamp; the 'burb reputation is honestly earned. I know someone who has the same mentality.

You have to understand that a lot of the people in the 'burbs left the city because of an influx of crime in their neighborhoods. So in their eyes, the crime reputation is honestly earned as well.

I see both sides of the coin, and can only hope that eventually we can all get back to the way things were shortly after Katrina. Ya'll remember that? Everyone hugged everyone else rather you knew them or not, just because we were happy to see another person come back.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:58 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn2bbugmd View Post
I may be moving to the New Orleans area in a couple months if I get a job I'm interviewing for. I am a little nervous about moving there because of all the crime I have been hearing about. I am definitely willing to move outside of New Orleans, but am unsure of where. It seems there are issues even in Metarie and Kenner (where I was told to look at houses). I also don't want to move anywhere that is easily flooded. Any suggestions?
Are you able to come for a few days and at least get a feel for the different areas? I think the best thing is to do your research, try and speak to people who actually live there - some nice people are on this board - and don't make too many assumptions. Use precautions that you'd use in any metro area, and be vigilant without resorting to paranoia. I know that living is different to just visiting for a few days, but use that opportunity to have a good look around..dont discount 'gut' feelings when youre in different places either.
I think you'd be pleasantly surprised, for what it's worth, I'm jealous!

Old 05-08-2008, 12:27 PM

135 posts, read 412,550 times
i lived in metairie for 3 years and never had a problem. i walked to the library and shops every day during my preganacy and besides the unannounced thunder showers on my head, always talked to people and felt okay by myself.
i did have some uncomfortable experiences hanging out in new orleans at night but rarely in the day and i was never alone . i always wanted to live in the audobon area but couldn't afford it. kenner was way to boring for me, nothing there.
this was all pre-katrina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans