Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:16 AM

895 posts, read 1,702,648 times

Advertisements

Several months ago I had an altercation with a family member that led to me to leave the house. I have since returned but I must say that the week or so I spent living homeless in New Orleans was a pretty taxing experience.

While I was there I slept across the street from the greyhound station under a bridge. Luckily when I first arrived I made friends with a few other homeless people that didnt try and jump me. I had my most important belongings with me, needless to say by the end of my excursion all of them were stolen, including my computer. While the people I was staying with under the bridge didn't give me a hard time at first, I was preyed upon by crack heads and heroin addicts. After my first couple nights there I started getting stuff stolen from me while I slept. First went my skateboard, then my bag of clothes, then when I finally up and left because I knew things were going downhill I had my backpack stolen from the greyhound station. Overall a very depressing and bleak experience.

The relationship I had with my homeless friends also went downhill fast. One of them claimed to be a "mafia crip" and instructed me not to wear red. One day him and his girlfriend went into down and their pit bull got off the leash and got hit by a car. Because I had been at the camp site all day the other homeless guy I was staying with blamed me for it and the mafia crip guy and his girlfriend got really pissed off. Long story short I almost had a knife pulled on me that day which was a big deciding factor in getting the hell out of there. While these people were friendly to me at first, things escalated to bad relations quickly when it became clear to them that I wasn't cut out for being homeless. I also noticed that the guy who called me out who had bipolar disorder was getting more and more agitated with me almost to the point of lashing out.

I learned my lesson pretty quick that people will rob you blind and not to trust anyone. I learned my lesson the hard way what's it's like to live in certain areas and how you have to conduct yourself in them. Overall not an experience I would want to repeat again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 12:23 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,142 times
I'm sorry that happened to you, but were you expecting a good experience living under a bridge in New Orleans? Living on the street in any city has got to be a pretty miserable experience. I hope I never have to find out.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:12 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,452 times
This thread should be titled "Living Homeless in America"

Old 03-16-2017, 03:57 PM

643 posts, read 977,405 times
Sounds like a rough experience....

Old 03-16-2017, 04:20 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Glad that you got out of that situation without getting physically hurt. Hope things have worked out for you.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:02 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
This sucks.

Sounds like a weekend in the hood.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:51 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,981,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
Several months ago I had an altercation with a family member that led to me to leave the house. I have since returned but I must say that the week or so I spent living homeless in New Orleans was a pretty taxing experience.

While I was there I slept across the street from the greyhound station under a bridge. Luckily when I first arrived I made friends with a few other homeless people that didnt try and jump me. I had my most important belongings with me, needless to say by the end of my excursion all of them were stolen, including my computer. While the people I was staying with under the bridge didn't give me a hard time at first, I was preyed upon by crack heads and heroin addicts. After my first couple nights there I started getting stuff stolen from me while I slept. First went my skateboard, then my bag of clothes, then when I finally up and left because I knew things were going downhill I had my backpack stolen from the greyhound station. Overall a very depressing and bleak experience.

The relationship I had with my homeless friends also went downhill fast. One of them claimed to be a "mafia crip" and instructed me not to wear red. One day him and his girlfriend went into down and their pit bull got off the leash and got hit by a car. Because I had been at the camp site all day the other homeless guy I was staying with blamed me for it and the mafia crip guy and his girlfriend got really pissed off. Long story short I almost had a knife pulled on me that day which was a big deciding factor in getting the hell out of there. While these people were friendly to me at first, things escalated to bad relations quickly when it became clear to them that I wasn't cut out for being homeless. I also noticed that the guy who called me out who had bipolar disorder was getting more and more agitated with me almost to the point of lashing out.

I learned my lesson pretty quick that people will rob you blind and not to trust anyone. I learned my lesson the hard way what's it's like to live in certain areas and how you have to conduct yourself in them. Overall not an experience I would want to repeat again.
I think a lot of modern day Americans could learn a few things from an experience like this.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:01 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,443,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
I think a lot of modern day Americans could learn a few things from an experience like this.
Absolutely

Old 03-17-2017, 03:00 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,858,489 times
Back in the early 80's hitchhiked from New Orleans to Long Beach California with the clothes on my back. Worked a few jobs, drove back in a 1970 Mercury Cougar w/a 351 Cleveland in it. The thang was smoking fast, till I misjudged the Camp street exit ramp.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:45 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Back in the early 80's hitchhiked from New Orleans to Long Beach California with the clothes on my back. Worked a few jobs, drove back in a 1970 Mercury Cougar w/a 351 Cleveland in it. The thang was smoking fast, till I misjudged the Camp street exit ramp.
Exactly. Everyone has the stories from their youth. As bad as this seems, it will be one of the stories for your grandkids one day. The best memories come from the scary situations in your youth. I would share mine, but it would take too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans