U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 02:20 PM

6 posts, read 7,779 times

Advertisements

Hi-

I'm interviewing for a job in New Orleans and had a couple of questions:

1) Wife and I have three kids that are all school aged. If I were to get this job (which is in the CBD) we'd likely not want to live in New Orleans proper based on school scores and the cost of private school (which we've been told most folks with kids in school do). We're looking at Slidell and Mandeville where the public school districts seem to score pretty well. Does anyone out there have any evidence to the contrary?

2) Currently I live in Northern Virginia and have a 1 1/2 hours commute into DC. I understand that the commute from Slidell or Mandeville would likely be better than that maybe 45 minutes to an hour during rush hour. But I want to check my sources. Am I getting good info? Would I really only be looking at 45 mins to an hour from the north shore?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 06:51 AM

1,900 posts, read 2,842,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadblj View Post
Hi-

1) Wife and I have three kids that are all school aged. If I were to get this job (which is in the CBD) we'd likely not want to live in New Orleans proper based on school scores and the cost of private school (which we've been told most folks with kids in school do). We're looking at Slidell and Mandeville where the public school districts seem to score pretty well. Does anyone out there have any evidence to the contrary?

2) Currently I live in Northern Virginia and have a 1 1/2 hours commute into DC. I understand that the commute from Slidell or Mandeville would likely be better than that maybe 45 minutes to an hour during rush hour. But I want to check my sources. Am I getting good info? Would I really only be looking at 45 mins to an hour from the north shore?

You seem to be on the right track in terms of accurate information, but I often wonder why people rarely consider living across the river as opposed to across the lake. You could find good schools on the Westbank and decrease your commute time considerably. Look into Harvey, Gretna, or Belle Chasse. The Northshore sucks unless you're specifically looking for straight-laced, typical suburban living...which is fine, but you need to know what it is.

What grade are you looking for schoolwise?

Old 03-20-2017, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'll do some more research. Have three kids that will be in kindergarten, 4th grade and 6th grade.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:38 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,189,917 times
The top 4 schools in the state are in Jefferson and Orleans Parishes based on the 2016 scores. In fact there are 11 schools in ranked higher than the best school on the north shore.

Slidell and Mandeville will be 45min with no traffic. Rush hour can be up to 1hr 15min depending on when you hit it. Metairie will be half of that or less. (My old commute to the CBD was 15min with no traffic). Covington will be even longer. It's not so much the distance as it is the traffic and bridge issues that will cause you heartache. The causeway has restrictions for severe weather where the police "convoy" groups of cars across. One wreck on that bridge and traffic is backed up for hours.

The "highrise" bridge on I10 heading out to NO east has severe traffic every single day. There are regular wrecks on I10 out towards Slidell which cause backups.

If you do not want to live in New Orleans, and you have to do the public school thing. Take a look at the Eastbank of Jefferson Parish. The magnet schools are top notch and most of the normal elementary schools are solid. They are all district/location based, so admissions are simple.

As for the Westbank of Jefferson Parish (Gretna, Harvey, Westego, etc.) there's nothing wrong with it per-se, but your commute to the CBD will be much more difficult from that side of the river. You basically have one route and it's always backed up.

Jefferson Parish Public School System
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2016-school-performance-scores-1.zip (325.3 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by rburnett; 03-20-2017 at 11:04 AM..

Old 03-21-2017, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll add these ideas to my research.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:33 PM

83 posts, read 69,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadblj View Post
Hi-

Some of the best individual schools in the state are in Orleans and Jefferson, so that is correct. But the public school system as a whole is much better in St. Tammany Parish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans