Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 11:39 AM

53 posts, read 87,272 times

Advertisements

I am a single child-free 25 year old engineering student and I'm thinking about buying a house in the Saint Roch area. Houses in the ByWater and Marigny have gotten too expensive to afford because of all the gentrification but i'm seeing that houses in St. Roch are still generally affordable. However one thing that concerns me is the crime in the area. I want to know if the area will ever be gentrified like the other areas and it if would be good to buy a house there now while it's cheap if the area ever does become gentrified.

My main concern is safety. I am a young woman and not married so it would be just me living by myself. Is the area becoming safer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 10:48 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,454 times
If crime is any one of your top concerns, then St. Roch is not the neighborhood for you. Over the past 2-3 years it's been one of the worst areas in the city for homicides, shootings in addition to a high number of armed robberies. Gentilly and Broadmoor are probably the last "nice" neighborhoods with low crime that are somewhat affordable.

Bywater and the rest of the upper 9th is a little safer, Holy Cross is even safer, but the Marigny still has a very high number of robberies. Everything that makes it the "hip place to be", also makes it a big target for opportunistic criminals.

In New Orleans, armed robberies can happen anywhere, though some areas have far fewer. Homicides and shootings almost always happen in the established not-so-nice areas that are well known like Hollygrove, Central City, St. Roch, 7th Ward, etc.

But don't take my word for it: https://www.crimemapping.com/map/la/neworleans

The businesses on (and on the river side of) St. Claude are the only drivers of gentrification in the area, and that falls off quickly once you get past the first block or two towards the lake. There is very little between St. Claude and Florida Ave. that is going to push prices upwards in the near future. You will likely be waiting a much longer time than other "up and coming" areas like Mid-City along Tulane Ave or the Irish Channel.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:16 AM

83 posts, read 77,089 times
The St. Roch area is up and coming and there is a lot of development occurring in terms of the real estate. As far as crime is concerned, there are definitely areas of the neighborhood where crime is still an issue. If that is your biggest concern, then I would consider Gentilly, Lakeview, parts of uptown and midcity or even Metairie. If you go on a site like Trulia, they have a crime map feature that is pretty handy.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:30 PM

53 posts, read 87,272 times
I looked at the crime map of where I would live and it seemed mainly vandalism and domestic disputes. There haven't been any homicides within the last year.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:09 PM

83 posts, read 77,089 times
Well there you go. As long as you're comfortable with it, that's what matters. There are some great renovations in the area.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 8,169 times
It's been "up and coming" for the last five years now but hasn't gotten much better. I'd stay away. Look into Mid-City or Gentilly if you want something relatively affordable and safe.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:55 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
The vandalism at the St. Roch market indicates otherwise. Gentrifiers are not welcome.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:32 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The vandalism at the St. Roch market indicates otherwise. Gentrifiers are not welcome.
Funny enough, wasn't that proven to have been done by gentrifiers (as in likely recently arrived young white people)? Yep, I think I see a pair of purposely torn skinny jeans and some designer boots, and all white faces and hands. Just gotta love the irony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLX9WUoanGs

Old 06-21-2017, 08:37 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Gentrification is never welcome.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:07 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Gentrification is never welcome.
If you've purchased a home or signed a lease in New Orleans in the last 10 years or so, then you've contributed to real estate price increases and you can consider yourself a gentrifier. The only exception would be NO East where prices have steadily declined since Katrina.

Real estate is up 50% since Katrina and not just because of hipsters along St. Claude.

You will be hard pressed to find someone who will bemoan the changes along Oak St, Freret St., Carrollton Ave. in Mid-City, Tulane Ave. and OC Haley that have happened since Katrina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans