Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2017, 07:33 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I am taking a 3-day trip to New Orleans next week and I have never been there before. It's purely for fun and I have no real agenda, I just wanted to get away and go to some place I had never been before. Mostly I am looking forward to walking around a bit, having some great food and drink and maybe hear some good music along the way (casually, perhaps in a bar I happen to stop in or whatever).

I am staying at the Q & C on Camp Street and would love recommendations for restaurants or places that I should check out. I am going to be there alone and am really just winging it, I don't have any big plans. I would just like to enjoy the city a bit. I doubt I will be looking for any tours or such.

Any ideas or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 06:56 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Don't miss Central Grocery and its Muffaletto sandwich.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:25 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Next week is Jazz Fest, $80/day, one of the best festivals in the country.

New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival

Old 04-30-2017, 12:32 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Next week is Jazz Fest, $80/day, one of the best festivals in the country.

New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival
Thanks, I don't think that I'm actually going to be there for any of the events. When I checked before, it looks like everything happens during the two weekends. I am coming home on Thursday.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:19 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
I'd visit the French Market, and of course you have to go to Bourbon Street.

When we were there, we took a haunted ghost walk thing. (Didn't see any ghosts. LOL ) but it was a walking tour of all the interesting buildings and what their history is. It was very interesting.

Here's a website that talks all about the local music scene, and lists what's coming up, etc.

http://www.offbeat.com/?utm_source=W...m_medium=email

Old 05-09-2017, 01:10 PM

83 posts, read 77,048 times
Frenchman Street is a good option that isn't Bourbon Street. There is tons of live music, much of it free, restaurants, and bars.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:03 AM

3,066 posts, read 1,679,170 times
For music: Frenchmen Street
For history (many options): Cemetery Tour (if that interests you), Mardi Gras Museum next to St Louis Cathedral, Backstreet Cultural Museum (if you find yourself wondering around that area).
St Charles streetcar ~ scenic view of the Garden District.
French Market: Good, cheaper snacks are to be enjoyed there as well.
Napoleon House for Pim's Cup and a muffaletta sandwich (I prefer these over Central's).
Rock 'n' Rodeo on zydeco night is very fun (check it out online)... You'd have to use cab service, though.
City Park if you have time. Very nice art museum if you have time.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:51 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
We're going to be in N.O. next month for the Zydeco Festival. I'm hoping we get to visit the Rock N Bowl, and the Maple Leaf Bar.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:57 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,330 times
Maple leaf has great music every night, but they start really late ( yes, I'm getting old). Show up around 9:30 and eat at Jacques Imo's, and then go next door for great music. Good food and music. That's a good night.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:31 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
We're going to be in N.O. next month for the Zydeco Festival. I'm hoping we get to visit the Rock N Bowl, and the Maple Leaf Bar.
Make sure you see Sunpie and Dwayne Dopsie on Sunday. Both put on a great show. Sunpie is more traditional and sings mostly in French. My wife and I are very good friends with his washboard player.

We have been a fan of Dwayne from when he still played the afternoon slot at the Krazy Korner on Bourbon and sometimes would watch his entire 7 hour show (the band did take breaks). He's been away from Bourbon for a few years now and we had not seen him in about 4 years. At last year's Zydeco Festival, Dwayne jumped into the crowd to start a second line. When he saw us he stopped for a second to give my wife a hug. He might not remember our names but we do know he appreciates his fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans