Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 03:13 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,994,118 times

Advertisements

It appears that the guy in critical condition was gay. Could this be a hate crime?

Quote:
"I and a number of senior staff were with Tim in the hospital last night and others, including our chaplains, are with him now," Frederick-Gray said. "Tim’s husband is en route to New Orleans from Boston. Our ... staff are profoundly shocked and filled with concern for their colleagues.”
French Quarter beating victim heard footsteps, then saw friend motionless on sidewalk | wwltv.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 04:07 PM

860 posts, read 1,194,956 times
Doesn't look like a hate crime to me, it just looks like a crime of opportunity. I love this city. I've lived here for over 10 years and have been visiting since the late 80's, and this is not a new thing. This city is moving in the right direction in a lot of ways, but I understand the fear that people have after watching that video.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Who are you and why did you post this here?
Who are you? It needs to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
To raise awareness of the threats in New Orleans? What do you want to do, ignore it?

This is a brutal crime is a high traffic area, with cops everywhere.
Thanks, I used to think I wanted to visit New Orleans, but it's a very violent city. The fact that happened in a high traffic area with cops around is really scary. At least in some cities it is more likely in less traveled areas in bad neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenagenda View Post
We aren't shown what happened 20 minutes earlier. These 2 probably deserved it like most American tourists walking around like they own the place.
You do realize they could be European tourists? And that if they are American than they're in their own country?

Considering your comments you most likely do not.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:04 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,994,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
Doesn't look like a hate crime to me, it just looks like a crime of opportunity. I love this city. I've lived here for over 10 years and have been visiting since the late 80's, and this is not a new thing. This city is moving in the right direction in a lot of ways, but I understand the fear that people have after watching that video.
And then this on St. Charles a day before:

https://twitter.com/Chris_M504/statu...36219830210560

Not even reported. Wonder how much of that happens on a daily basis.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:34 PM

4,506 posts, read 4,628,839 times
They need to tack on an extra charge to thugs who beat and rob tourists. The last thing any tourist area needs is bad publicity that the area is not safe for tourists.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
And then this on St. Charles a day before:

https://twitter.com/Chris_M504/statu...36219830210560

Not even reported. Wonder how much of that happens on a daily basis.
I don't know what to tell you. This is the price I pay for living in what I think is the best city in America. I'm not downplaying it, it's horrible, but I've never had any issues with crime here, and I know it's not just a New Orleans problem. It's definitely a problem though.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:58 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,048,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
I don't know what to tell you. This is the price I pay for living in what I think is the best city in America. I'm not downplaying it, it's horrible, but I've never had any issues with crime here, and I know it's not just a New Orleans problem. It's definitely a problem though.
Four [mod cut] AM
Alone
White
On the streets of New Orleans
Not watching your back
With a brother running up behind you

Yup, you in trouble.

Last edited by volosong; 06-26-2017 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: profanity, even implied, not acceptable on C-D

Old 06-26-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Four [mod cut] AM
Alone
White
On the streets of New Orleans
Not watching your back
With a brother running up behind you

Yup, you in trouble.
I guess I can understand why you make it a race issue, but my neighbors on either side are black, and are some of the best neighbors I've ever had. They think this is just as bad as you do.

Last edited by volosong; 06-26-2017 at 10:20 PM..

Old 06-26-2017, 06:27 PM

4,414 posts, read 3,479,882 times
Wow, one of the perps had the nerve to come back to the scene, lift up the unconscious guy's head and drop it back on the ground.

These guys aren't your ordinary everyday POS criminals.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:40 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,905,791 times
This is how I walk in New Orleans:

I always walk like a New Yorker. If someone catches up to me then I know they're up to no good.

Every 30 seconds or so I look back. If I see an unsavory character in front of me or behind me, I cross the street or if there are some safer people clustered then I speed up and catch up to them or slow down and let them catch me.

If I see a cop I purposely will walk by the cop or slow down near him so the thug passes the cop at the same time as me.

I don't care if they think I'm racist or whatever. I'm going to protect myself. If you look thuggish I'm getting out of the way.

I walk with confidence and a steady gait. Somehow I think people know to never mess with me.

Never had any issues.

Last edited by cBach; 06-26-2017 at 09:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans