Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 11:06 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,506 times

Advertisements

I don't know if having a gun would have helped in this situation.
The muggers would have probably made off with it.

What did they hope to get anyway?
A debit card they can't use without a PIN, a cell phone that will be blacklisted within a few days.
No one carries cash anymore.

Maybe it was just a hate crime. With all the recent outrage at White Privilege they might have just been riled up by a few professors in the news lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 12:25 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normaldude View Post
Lots of tourists visit the French Quarter, and walk around at night. This video is just a reminder of how some criminals operate in the area, what to look out for, and to be aware of your surroundings (as "Mississippi Alabama Line" said above, "Keep your head on a swivel").

And..

"Anyone with information about this robbery is asked to call Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111."
I'm just wondering why you come here all of a sudden and post crime videos as if the people who are here daily cannot express safety concerns to tourists? It's troll mentality to post something like this and run off never to be seen again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Who are you? It needs to be seen.
Someone who lives here.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:36 PM

124 posts, read 190,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm just wondering why you come here all of a sudden and post crime videos
... It's troll mentality to post something like this and run off never to be seen again.
I post on various boards. If this event happened in Chicago, I would have posted it on the Chicago board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
as if the people who are here daily cannot express safety concerns to tourists?
It's an important story that hadn't been posted yet, so I posted it.

As AnnaGWS said earlier on this thread: "Thanks to the OP for posting this story. My family and I are visiting soon (staying in the French Quarter), and this serves as a reminder to be always be aware of your surroundings."

In fact, most of the posters on this thread feel that it's a relevant news story for the New Orleans board.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:40 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,718 times
New Orleans is a city, stuff is going to happen. You have to be aware of your surroundings. It is the same in any city whether its New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Savannah, New Orleans, etc. Whether you are a tourist or a citizen, you can be affected by crime, really it can be a game of luck and acting like you own the street. I have lived here all my life and never been affected by crime, I know countless tourist who visit the city that have never been affected by crime. Of course it happens, and at the same time I've heard horror stories from people who lived in city's like New York. I mean I don't know where the days of stick em up and hand me your wallet went but crime has been happening in this city since the dawn of its existence, its hardly some new thing to worry about, especially if you've visited before.

Also, if it makes anybody feel better, this happened in a somewhat desolate area surrounded by parking lots near the river, the police responded in 2 minutes, and the perpetrators have been caught.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normaldude View Post
I post on various boards. If this event happened in Chicago, I would have posted it on the Chicago board.

It's an important story that hadn't been posted yet, so I posted it.

As AnnaGWS said earlier on this thread: "Thanks to the OP for posting this story. My family and I are visiting soon (staying in the French Quarter), and this serves as a reminder to be always be aware of your surroundings."

In fact, most of the posters on this thread feel that it's a relevant news story for the New Orleans board.
There are a few posters who come to the New Orleans board and post only negative comments, many about crime, just to troll and rile feathers. Annie just thinks you are one of those, and it did seem the case, but I guess you are not, it seems you might genuinely actually care.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 06-27-2017 at 01:52 PM..

Old 06-27-2017, 02:06 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,986,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
New Orleans is a city, stuff is going to happen. You have to be aware of your surroundings. It is the same in any city whether its New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Savannah, New Orleans, etc. Whether you are a tourist or a citizen, you can be affected by crime, really it can be a game of luck and acting like you own the street. I have lived here all my life and never been affected by crime, I know countless tourist who visit the city that have never been affected by crime. Of course it happens, and at the same time I've heard horror stories from people who lived in city's like New York. I mean I don't know where the days of stick em up and hand me your wallet went but crime has been happening in this city since the dawn of its existence, its hardly some new thing to worry about, especially if you've visited before.

Also, if it makes anybody feel better, this happened in a somewhat desolate area surrounded by parking lots near the river, the police responded in 2 minutes, and the perpetrators have been caught.
This is really the issue more than anything. This was BRUTAL. Nowadays it seems that they will rob you AND kill you, just to be vindictive. If they don't have guns, they'll just beat you to death like these animals did.

The ruthless nature of these crimes is mind-boggling. I am a God-fearing man but I admit it is hard for me to consider criminals like this to even be human.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:37 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,454 times
Quote:
Also, if it makes anybody feel better, this happened in a somewhat desolate area surrounded by parking lots near the river...
This is key, especially in the downtown area. The more people around you the better. You do not want to be the only one on the block.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
This is really the issue more than anything. This was BRUTAL. Nowadays it seems that they will rob you AND kill you, just to be vindictive. If they don't have guns, they'll just beat you to death like these animals did.

The ruthless nature of these crimes is mind-boggling. I am a God-fearing man but I admit it is hard for me to consider criminals like this to even be human.
Kids and young people can be pretty sadistic nowadays. It's the same with things like the knockout game or stories like people randomly knocking bike riders off their bikes with base ball bats or randomly shooting paint balls at people. It's almost like part of the "fun" is beating people up over actually robbing them. Then the 21 year old that was the main perpetrator turned himself in, and will hopefully spend a few years in jail, over what--a few dollars and a phone? That's all more of a national issue than a specific New Orleans thing, if some of these people make it to middle age, we might have a serial killer epidemic on our hands or something.

You almost wish the robbers had guns. Thankfully most robberies aren't like this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
This is key, especially in the downtown area. The more people around you the better. You do not want to be the only one on the block.
Yes, you might think the French Quarter is the French Quarter. But it is always best to be around a bunch of people, a lot of quarter robberies happen in the quieter residential back side near Rampart or in areas like around these parking lots. One of these days, they'll develop those lots.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:49 PM

806 posts, read 877,089 times
Savages ...

Old 06-27-2017, 05:43 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Yes, you might think the French Quarter is the French Quarter. But it is always best to be around a bunch of people, a lot of quarter robberies happen in the quieter residential back side near Rampart or in areas like around these parking lots. One of these days, they'll develop those lots.
One thing that usually works is if you are all alone and someone is trying to approach you to talk out aloud and say non-sensible things and they'll assume you're crazy and leave you alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans