Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 10:42 AM

806 posts, read 876,366 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to express an opinion on those companies that are ALREADY located in the areas you mentioned . That's a done deal . What I AM saying is that if I were looking to build a facility as large as what was described in the article , I would be damn careful where I spent my money . Recent events have shown what you might be facing some day . And New Orleans does not have enough positive attributes to make up for it .

I doubt California would be in the running either for a whole host of reasons but who knows ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 11:35 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,290 times
New Orleans misses the mark on a lot of Amazon's requirements, such as having a large highly-skilled, highly-educated workforce, strong schools, an airport with lots of direct flights to cities around the world, and transportation, while good, probably isn't going to be enough for Amazon's needs. I still say that Boston, Chicago, Toronto, Atlanta, or Dallas are the strongest contenders for a second HQ.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:02 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,330 times
Young people want to live and work in a city that is exciting and has something to do when you leave the office. In my opinion this is the best city for young people. The only problem is that the jobs aren't here. If they picked this city all of the things that are lacking would automatically appear. There has been a lot of money invested here in the last several years, so I'm not sure hurricanes are the issue. All of that said, it's probably just wishful thinking. I'll admit, I'm biased.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:51 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
No way we are getting Amazon and we shouldn't. It would skyrocket the COL and locals will have to move across the river or to Jefferson parish. While it would be exciting, it would ruin the culture unless they grow really slowly and use local workers, which would be impossible.
What we need to do is invest in our schools and infrastructure so that we can foster growth for these kinds of entrepreneurs and not give away all our taxes to land Amazon.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:02 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,799,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
New Orleans misses the mark on a lot of Amazon's requirements, such as having a large highly-skilled, highly-educated workforce, strong schools, an airport with lots of direct flights to cities around the world, and transportation, while good, probably isn't going to be enough for Amazon's needs. I still say that Boston, Chicago, Toronto, Atlanta, or Dallas are the strongest contenders for a second HQ.

That's about it.
If I were them, I'd pick Dallas.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:36 AM

639 posts, read 820,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
Young people want to live and work in a city that is exciting and has something to do when you leave the office. In my opinion this is the best city for young people. The only problem is that the jobs aren't here. If they picked this city all of the things that are lacking would automatically appear. There has been a lot of money invested here in the last several years, so I'm not sure hurricanes are the issue. All of that said, it's probably just wishful thinking. I'll admit, I'm biased.

Exactly!! And what are these new highrise condos, luxury apartments etc. popping up all over downtown for with more coming down the pipe. Tourist? Call me crazy but Amazon would be great here, Especially if they could secure a lot of land lets say by the river to build and expand from there. Like you said you have everything young folks want when they leave the office nice living options, entertainment, walkability, etc. Oh and not to mentioned those who are in town for business there is a gang of hotels plus more on the way and once they are done with that what do you think they want to get into. Makes a lot of sense to me but who am I lol...

Old 09-13-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No way we are getting Amazon and we shouldn't. It would skyrocket the COL and locals will have to move across the river or to Jefferson parish. While it would be exciting, it would ruin the culture unless they grow really slowly and use local workers, which would be impossible.
What we need to do is invest in our schools and infrastructure so that we can foster growth for these kinds of entrepreneurs and not give away all our taxes to land Amazon.

Wouldn't this be a step in the right direction in diversifying New Orleans economy? If not where and what do you suggest to head in that direction? Also NOLA's culture is so rich, strong and influencial that it aint going NOWHERE plus I'm willing to bet it would have an affect on newcomers more so than the other way around. Also 50,000 jobs or should I say GOOD paying jobs and from what I read over the next so many years to reach 100,000 GOOD pay jobs. How can that not be good for N.O. or any city for that matter?

Old 09-13-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
Definitely wishful, quixotic thinking. Again, Amazon wants to build their HQ in a city that already has the things they're looking for in their requirements, not a place where things will happen "automatically"/after the HQ is built. New Orleans has far too many things against it for it to be a viable city for Amazon's second HQ. It's nice to aim high, but we have to be realistic about this. Tulane is a respectable institution, but how will it compare to say, Georgia Tech in Atlanta or Harvard/MIT in Boston, or UI/Northwestern in Chicago? MSY is not a major airport or hub like ATL/DFW/ORD/BOS are. The streetcars are mass transit, but don't reach out as far as the 'L' in Chicago, the 'T' in Boston, or even DART in Dallas. Also, New Orleans is not exactly known for being business-friendly compared to the cities that are competitive enough to court them

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
Exactly!! And what are these new highrise condos, luxury apartments etc. popping up all over downtown for with more coming down the pipe. Tourist? Call me crazy but Amazon would be great here, Especially if they could secure a lot of land lets say by the river to build and expand from there. Like you said you have everything young folks want when they leave the office nice living options, entertainment, walkability, etc. Oh and not to mentioned those who are in town for business there is a gang of hotels plus more on the way and once they are done with that what do you think they want to get into. Makes a lot of sense to me but who am I lol...
New Orleans is primarily a city for tourism and leisure. Conventions are cool, but most of the business in the Gulf South region tends to go to Houston, because that's where most of the money and human capital resides. Dallas and Atlanta have also siphoned a lot of business and brain power away in the South from smaller cities such as New Orleans. It's been this way since the 1960s, arguably earlier. I don't see this changing anytime soon. Again, New Orleans misses the mark on a lot of factors that Amazon is looking for, no matter how much you want for this to happen.

One of Amazon's requirements for their Second HQ is: “urban or suburban locations with the potential to attract and retain strong technical talent.” To meet this Amazon requirement, a metro area had to meet one of two screens — either the largest percentage of professional, management and scientific jobs, or the largest percentage of workers in management, business, science and arts. Are those jobs in abundance in New Orleans? No, they're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
That's about it.
If I were them, I'd pick Dallas.
Dallas is great location wise and is a huge logistics hub, boasts a major airport, much more business friendly than anywhere in Louisiana, and even has decent public transportation. The biggest mark against it is higher education, because the educational institutions there aren't even the most prominent in Texas, except maybe SMU.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 09-13-2017 at 08:16 AM..

Old 09-13-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Definitely wishful, quixotic thinking. Again, Amazon wants to build their HQ in a city that already has the things they're looking for in their requirements, not a place where things will happen "automatically"/after the HQ is built. New Orleans has far too many things against it for it to be a viable city for Amazon's second HQ. It's nice to aim high, but we have to be realistic about this. Tulane is a respectable institution, but how will it compare to say, Georgia Tech in Atlanta or Harvard/MIT in Boston, or UI/Northwestern in Chicago? MSY is not a major airport or hub like ATL/DFW/ORD/BOS are. The streetcars are mass transit, but don't reach out as far as the 'L' in Chicago, the 'T' in Boston, or even DART in Dallas. Also, New Orleans is not exactly known for being business-friendly compared to the cities that are competitive enough to court them

New Orleans is primarily a city for tourism and leisure. Conventions are cool, but most of the business in the Gulf South region tends to go to Houston, because that's where most of the money and human capital resides. Dallas and Atlanta have also siphoned a lot of business and brain power away in the South from smaller cities such as New Orleans. It's been this way since the 1960s, arguably earlier. I don't see this changing anytime soon. Again, New Orleans misses the mark on a lot of factors that Amazon is looking for, no matter how much you want for this to happen.

One of Amazon's requirements for their Second HQ is Onto the next criteria: “urban or suburban locations with the potential to attract and retain strong technical talent.” To meet this Amazon requirement, a metro area had to meet one of two screens — either the largest percentage of professional, management and scientific jobs, or the largest percentage of workers in management, business, science and arts. Are those jobs in abundance in New Orleans? No, they're not.

Dallas is great location wise and is a huge logistics hub, boasts a major airport, much more business friendly than anywhere in Louisiana, and even has decent public transportation. The biggest mark against it is higher education, because the educational institutions there aren't even the most prominent in Texas, except maybe SMU.

First of all Tulane is a top 40 institution, I just read that somewhere yesterday so its just not "respectable" as you say. I don't know what LSU ranks but its right up the road. Also there are other good universities in the area like Xavier and Loyola just to name a couple. I'm not trying to compare with other places I'm just letting you know there is VERY good higher education in N.O. and the region. Make no mistake about it.

I would agree with you to some degree that NOLA is a tourist place with a lot of conventions and so forth and so on. My question to you is how do you is just like I asked Annie is where does it start to diversify itself from solely reliant on certain things like tourism/conventions etc. Where does it start, to me this would be a shot in the arm. But hey, naysayers will be naysayers its all good.

Another thing is that a big corporation like Amazon would have a HUGE influence on the business climate here, it only takes one to make others take notice. Something like this would have a big impact on ALL levels, everyone would have to step there game up so to speak. Regarding airports and flights NOLA is adding all kind of flights including international its seems every time I look up. True it has a ways to catch up to those big business cities you mentioned but there heading in the right direction. And lastly there is a BILLION dollar airport being built as we speak in the outskirts of NOLA.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
First of all Tulane is a top 40 institution, I just read that somewhere yesterday so its just not "respectable" as you say. I don't know what LSU ranks but its right up the road. Also there are other good universities in the area like Xavier and Loyola just to name a couple. I'm not trying to compare with other places I'm just letting you know there is VERY good higher education in N.O. and the region. Make no mistake about it.
You just read that "somewhere" yesterday, sure. I do see that Tulane ranked #40 in USNews. However, I see that Harvard was #2, University of Chicago was #3, MIT #5, Northwestern #11, in cities that are more viable and logical for Amazon's Second HQ.

I'm aware of Tulane and other schools in the state, so no need to be so sensitive. I'm not diminishing the schools in Louisiana and you might not want to compare them to schools in other places, but comparing them to other higher education institutions is something that has to be taken into consideration, and I'm sure Amazon pays researchers/analysts very well for this information. While lots of schools in Louisiana do excel with say, engineering in the natural sciences, how do they compete for the tech jobs that Amazon is looking to fill? How many people who have jobs in technology have to leave Louisiana for greener pastures where those types of jobs are in abundance. You keep talking about how this will be a shot in the arm for New Orleans IF Amazon chooses its second HQ there, and conveniently forgetting that one of their requirements is having established technical workers already in the city. Last time I checked, New Orleans is not known as a tech hub, and doesn't have the large number of tech workers required for such an endeavor:

Why Louisiana Is the Worst State for Business - 24/7 Wall St.

"50. Louisiana
> 1-yr. real GDP change: 1.0% (12th lowest)
> Avg. salary: $46,784 (22nd lowest)
> Adults w/ bachelor’s degree: 23.2% (4th lowest)
> Patents issued: 399 (14th lowest)
> Working-age population chg. 2010-2020: -3.2% (7th lowest)

No state is worse for business than Louisiana. Working-age Louisianans are less likely than the vast majority of state residents to have the qualifications many businesses look for in job applicants — just 23.2% of adults in the state have a bachelor’s degree, nearly the lowest percentage of all states. The presence of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics-related occupations usually reflects a business-friendly environment where companies can grow. In Louisiana, just 3.2% of occupations are STEM jobs, the third lowest share of all states. Unlike most states, Louisiana’s working-age population is also shrinking."

Maybe New Orleans should stick to luring an Amazon fulfillment center there instead.

Quote:
I would agree with you to some degree that NOLA is a tourist place with a lot of conventions and so forth and so on. My question to you is how do you is just like I asked Annie is where does it start to diversify itself from solely reliant on certain things like tourism/conventions etc. Where does it start, to me this would be a shot in the arm. But hey, naysayers will be naysayers its all good. Another thing is that a big corporation like Amazon would have a HUGE influence on the business climate here, it only takes one to make others take notice. Something like this would have a big impact on ALL levels, everyone would have to step there game up so to speak.
Will Amazon want to deal with Louisiana's notorious corruption and unfriendly tax climate, especially when there is a much more business-friendly state immediately to the West? Why bother with all of that when Dallas and Austin are next door and have what Amazon needs instead of going to New Orleans and hoping/wishing for things to come into place? You call it being a naysayer, but I'm just being realistic about New Orleans chances of getting Amazon's HQ. If they do choose New Orleans, I'll gladly eat my smartphone for lunch.

Quote:
Regarding airports and flights NOLA is adding all kind of flights including international its seems every time I look up. True it has a ways to catch up to those big business cities you mentioned but there heading in the right direction. And lastly there is a BILLION dollar airport being built as we speak in the outskirts of NOLA.
What airline will it attract for a hub for the number of nonstop flights that a company such as Amazon will need? With all the airlines consolidating and merging since the mid-2000s, it's highly unlikely that an airline will choose MSY for major hub operations. United and Southwest both have large hubs in Houston, American is over in DFW and Charlotte, and of course, Delta in Atlanta. Besides, the only cities I see that are being added to MSY are leisure destinations, or connections to other mid-size cities.

But hey, keep dreaming. We'll see how that works out for New Orleans luring Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans