Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 06:35 AM

6 posts, read 11,351 times

Advertisements

Harlem is very block to block. There are some really really beautiful blocks and some not so great. Its loud, but mostly manageable, my problem is that I'm only 3 houses in from the corner from Broadway. Which is a super large street that has 2 different bus routes that travel on it. And there is a bodega on the corner. But yea I truly love New York, but I'm so very tired of the rat race. I need to slow it down a few notches, and New Orleans has been calling me for years.

Last edited by MmeErzulie; 10-30-2017 at 06:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 10:45 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,084,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeErzulie View Post
Harlem is very block to block. There are some really really beautiful blocks and some not so great. Its loud, but mostly manageable, my problem is that I'm only 3 houses in from the corner from Broadway. Which is a super large street that has 2 different bus routes that travel on it. And there is a bodega on the corner. But yea I truly love New York, but I'm so very tired of the rat race. I need to slow it down a few notches, and New Orleans has been calling me for years.
Oh listen, New Orleans is going to slow it down for you more than a few notches...especially on the Westbank lol. Its exactly what you're looking for

I lived in Marrero before we moved...which isn't too far from where you're looking. I loved Algiers Point. It is quintessential New Orleans without the extra ish you don't want. Another hidden gem, in my opinion, that serves up the old NOLA charm is Old Gretna

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 10-30-2017 at 10:55 AM..

Old 05-10-2019, 07:51 AM

21 posts, read 19,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
OP, how did you discover Algiers Point? I'm just curious...the Point isn't usually brought up by people outside of New Orleans - not as well known as other more popular neighborhoods. So I'm a bit surprised to be honest
LOL. I can tell you why. OP is a literary buff who knows that William S. Burroughs briefly owned and lived in the Point at 509 Wagner St during the late 1940's. He's ghost chasing an inspirational muse. And possibly not getting it in NYC where the cost and hassle of living is relegating life to a scramble for day to day survival. So, off to cheaper and greener and hip-er muse pastures. Obscurity is a bonus points plus among the type that gets into this kind of quest.

FWIW, 509 Wagner was the scene of a police raid following Burroughs' arrest by NOLA LEO after a high speed car chase elsewhere in the city that involved drug transactions.

Last edited by farmallmta; 05-10-2019 at 08:22 AM..

Old 02-11-2021, 05:24 AM

4 posts, read 10,885 times
It’s 2021 now and I’m wondering how you like living in Algiers Point so far? I was thinking of moving there because I like the idea of being away from the city but having it close by to go to. I assume Algiers is kind a like the Staten Island of New Orleans minus the guidos. It seems like a really nice place to live but does it get boring and have you found it inconvenient taking the ferry all the time? Just very curious to hear from someone who move there a few years ago. Thanks.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,133 times
Default Algiers Point logistics

I grew up in NO and love the Mississippi River. I rode ferries to go th high school for 4 years.
Many fun times on Algiers Point. Viscerally nostalgic for me.
The closest I ever came to returning (after 30 yrs) was to locate to AP.
To travel in/out of AP requires travel through some of the most decrepit areas (Jeff Parish) I had seen almost anywhere, aside from using the ferry. Not many services last I checked those several years ago.

It is not practical to depend on the ferry as a primary transport. Walk ONCE from the terminal to say, Royal ST. in August and your clothes willl be as they say "wringing wet". Cost, cost of parking in NO, time -especially, say on a foggy morning, make it a penence not a convenience.
I had to rule it out, even with a strong personal attraction. Maybe you might judge it more favorably for its quiet streets, old Victotrian charm.

The bug to return to New Orleans has bitten me again, recently. Still, AP is unworkable for me.

Good Luck to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans