Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 05:53 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,337,656 times

Advertisements

i stayed at an older holiday inn out by the airport, it was remodeled and it was very nice, as far as cajun food, get out of nawlins and head west. Like Gonzales la. for true cajun food, make sure you get some turtle soup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 02:35 PM

3,029 posts, read 1,650,673 times
I believe those dates are during the French Quarter Festival, and there is no better opportunity to enjoy Louisiana music of every genre ~ brass, zydeco, etc...... You should research into it. Festival is "free".

I'm another one that loves the Rock 'n' Bowl.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:37 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,696,692 times
I’m in New Orleans now. Husband set up restaurant reservations ahead of time and while we have Arnaud’s, Galatoire’s and Antoine’s left to go, Commanders Palace will be hard to beat. We splurged on the 6 course tasting menu with wine pairings and it was was well worth it.

I have noticed there is something about NOLA that makes your clothes shrink. Too humid for them?

ETA: we are staying at the Monteleone and the Carousel Bar here is fun if you can get a seat on it.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:44 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,696,692 times
Oooh...also, if you are near the Irish Channel there is a great sandwich shop that Bon Appetit declared the best restaurant in 2017 called The Turkey and the Wolf.
Fun place with great food and fun cocktails.

I think one of our favorite places to visit here is Hansen’s Sno-Bliz for Sno-balls.
Nothing like a snow cone, and so ridiculously good. Wonder why these arent all over the country.

Hansen's Sno-Bliz

Old 07-05-2018, 08:11 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,944,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Like others have said, stay in the crowded sections of the Quarter and you should be OK. I've also been less than 100 feet from a random shooting on Bourbon but at least I was in a club at the time. I don't wander Bourbon, I use it to move from club to club to hear different band. If I want to people watch, I go to a club's balcony.

The Balcony Music Club is technically in the Quarter but you can see Frenchman's Street from the window. It has a wide range of acts that perform there. I caught the entire show of Steve Mignano's band a few weeks ago.
https://youtu.be/gzLYIBwjvqo

Grammy nominated Dwaye Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers will play at BMC and Rare Form (Frenchman's) when they aren't touring. They put on an incredible show.
https://youtu.be/w_AdxPFdCfw
https://youtu.be/THLVKCAILBU

On Bourbon there are many places to listen to great music but if you want some local flavor then stop by Krazy Korner during the afternoon for The Daywalkers. They do a bunch of great covers and throw in some originals as well.
https://youtu.be/JaK7NZES-44

I could go on for a while about the music especially if you want to get into the rock bands.

I can second the recommendation to see Dwayne Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers. He, and they are awesome. MUST see, if anyone gets the chance.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:37 PM

30,489 posts, read 17,940,485 times
For food, I can never visit New Orleans without stopping by (at least a few times) the hot food section of Ideal Market: https://www.yelp.com/biz/ideal-market-new-orleans-4

I mean, this has to be my favorite spot to eat at in New Orleans. No, it isn't sit down, but the food is to die for IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans