Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2018, 07:25 PM

529 posts, read 1,009,450 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

It's been a while since I have been to NOLA but it was always one of my favorite destinations when I worked for a now defunct airline that had been based in my hometown. Great food, fantastic architecture and a rich history makes NOLA a unique travel location and we always enjoyed our time there.

I currently have a small beach condo in FL that I get to use for weekend trips plus rent out on VRBO and airbnb. I am looking to do the same thing in the French Quarter (or very nearby) and I wanted to get some opinions on location. I will probably be waiting for a few years on the market because I think prices are too high at the moment but I wanted to start doing my homework now.

Obviously the FQ has a large rental presence on VRBO due to its popularity from tourists like myself and I would expect greater rental income there as opposed to other locations. Parking shouldn't be a concern for myself and most of my guests as I expect to purchase something very small (studio or 1bd) and mainly use it for short trips. It seems that condos closer to Jackson Sq sell for a premium compared to other locations in the FQ so I presume that is the most desired location?

Where would you prefer your pied-a-terre and why? Maybe someone can convince me that I would be better off out of the FQ but for short trips I think I would be hard to beat.

All opinions welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 10:42 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
The Marigny and CBD/warehouse district would work too. I would personally want something closer to Rampart or Esplanade to get away from the tourists and noise.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:32 PM

529 posts, read 1,009,450 times
Thanks Annie. Do you think the lower quarter would be too noisy for a short trip? And I assume the condos near Rampart and Esplanade are still within walking distance to all the needed amenities (bars/restaurants/grocery)?

Old 06-27-2018, 12:16 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdm_ad View Post
Thanks Annie. Do you think the lower quarter would be too noisy for a short trip? And I assume the condos near Rampart and Esplanade are still within walking distance to all the needed amenities (bars/restaurants/grocery)?
No it wouldn't be too noisy if you know what to expect, but if I was buying one if would prefer it be away from upper Bourbon and Royal. Yes, the quarter is pretty small so your still within a few blocks of everything. Grocery might be a little tougher, there's a Rouses Royal and St Peter's but it's tiny but there's a full service one on Girod St.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:35 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
French Quarter is way too rich for my blood, but maybe purchase a house in Gretna or Algiers Point? It'd be a short hop to the ferry for any tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans