Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 08:14 PM

24,624 posts, read 9,449,501 times

Advertisements

I had the opportunity to "tour" dangerous Baltimore neighborhoods when I worked in Maryland for 2 years.

I chickened out. I didn't feel like being stared down, see massive trash on the streets and sidewalks, view abandoned and boarded up houses, see used needles and condoms on the street, or hear distant gunshots and police sirens.

You need some testicles to drive in some of these low income high crime neighborhoods. It's nothing you've ever seen before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 09:49 PM

234 posts, read 288,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I had the opportunity to "tour" dangerous Baltimore neighborhoods when I worked in Maryland for 2 years.

I chickened out. I didn't feel like being stared down, see massive trash on the streets and sidewalks, view abandoned and boarded up houses, see used needles and condoms on the street, or hear distant gunshots and police sirens.

You need some testicles to drive in some of these low income high crime neighborhoods. It's nothing you've ever seen before.
Yes, and OP, if you go in and cannot get out on your own, do not expect that you will necessarily be able to reach police, and even if you do, do not expect that they will come in after you. Please do let us know how much you enjoyed your "tour."

Old 08-17-2018, 11:21 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
They have a gentleman who does this on You Tube for a living. I used to tutor kids in very poor urban neighborhood. To be honest to be around drugs, homeless people, uneducated people and people living in poverty is not really a lot of fun. It is more depressing than anything.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:36 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,425,905 times

Old 08-18-2018, 01:54 PM

234 posts, read 288,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
They have a gentleman who does this on You Tube for a living. I used to tutor kids in very poor urban neighborhood. To be honest to be around drugs, homeless people, uneducated people and people living in poverty is not really a lot of fun. It is more depressing than anything.
Exactly. If the OP were working toward an advanced degree (or even an honours B.A. or B.S) in Sociology, Psychology, Anthropology, or even Art, or if OP was a politician or charity worker with some sort of church group, or if s/he were a documentary film maker or reporter for a newspaper or a magazine, etc., it would make more sense, but to want to go "out of curiosity??? Most people want to avert their eyes from homelessness, endemic poverty, and crime even if it is only depicted in print or on film, much less in person.

OP, here is an idea. Maybe you should tour some of India's poorest areas and really enjoy yourself. Until then, why not get a real feel for New Olreans's ghettos by spending a few nights at a homeless shelter so you can have the full experience of being the victim of violent crime; having no decent place to bathe or even use the loo; of having no place to prepare a decent meal and sit down to enjoy it; of having nothing to do day and night except try to stay alive; of waking up in the morning and finding out that the wino who was sleeping on the floor a few feet away from you the night before was rolled and stabbed to death whilst you slumbered. First hand experience is always best you know.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:32 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,351 times
Just drive around a middle class neighborhood and do a good deed: help hold a door open, give someone directions, comfort someone.
You are NOT thinking straight and may not make it out alive. Please don't go anywhere near the NOLA ghetto.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:25 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,510,792 times
In response to the OP proposition, I say go for it. I am a white person living in a part of Baltimore that Nibbidy feared to tread - but nowhere near the worst part of town. Whenever I visit a new city, I always try to visit the place that the locals say is the worst neighborhood. I am usually disappointed that it isn't the kind of dystopia that I can find in relatively small parts of Baltimore (and not in the whole city, by the way.) I didn't find anyplace that I found particularly bothersome when I visited New Orleans, but I may not have found the very worst neighborhoods. I did venture into a neighborhood in West Philadelphia one time that would give some tough parts of Baltimore a run for their money.

Anyway, if you having a reason to be in troubled neighborhood, people won't be so suspicious of you. Since I do community development in troubled parts of Baltimore, I always have a reason to visit other troubled places, just to find points of comparison. When I visit really tough neighborhoods in Baltimore for work, I like to carry a clip board or some other evidence that I am working - especially a list of addresses. When a neighbor questions what I am doing, I tell them that I am just going down my list - which is true and usually satisfies them. That is all a long way of saying, if you truly want to shop at Lowes, I say go for it.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:55 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Are you referring to Charliebo313, btw? He travels through run down parts(occasionally, he does go through the good parts) of the cities in the Midwest, South and Northeast.The two most frequent cities he drives through are Detroit(where he lives and hometown) and Chicago. He even visited my hometown in the Chicago area.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:44 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
I think it's a great idea to see how people live in crime ridden inner cities. Makes you appreciate what you have. Never liked NO, too many people with chips on their shoulder for me.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:53 PM

643 posts, read 977,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Central City is generally the area with abject poverty. New Orleans East has the worst crime and lots of rundown homes and apartments that never were fixed up.

Gentilly still has some rough areas. The Lower 9th Ward has some rough areas and also gentrified areas (Make It Right).

Check those out!
I disagree. Not central city, but, The upper and lower ninth have some of the worse areas in the city...the East does not have the worst crime. There are houses and apartments that do need tending to tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans