Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 01:47 PM

194 posts, read 222,006 times

Advertisements

I would rent a long-term Airbnb for a month or more before making this commitment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 01:52 PM

4 posts, read 15,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali504 View Post
I would rent a long-term Airbnb for a month or more before making this commitment.
Thanks. That's a good suggestion.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:11 PM

643 posts, read 977,870 times
Ray "Nagging", why don't you get as far away from city data new Orleans forum as possible! You're a cancer that only wants people to revel in your misery. Tired of you bruh.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:35 AM

135 posts, read 412,550 times
Can you set up some time for another visit? And prehaps try out of few areas in longer-term rentals? I have lived in New Orleans on and off for 20 years, but I live in Mandeville now. I found on my last return that the city seemed changed, by cost of living, crime etc.. Again, that's my personal observations and preference. I enjoy life over here across the lake and still can go to the city whever I want. Maybe there's a part of city or neighborhood you'd like that would still give you access to the quarter without the cost/crime. When my child is grown and we downsize, we may consider moving back across the lake.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:57 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,621 times
I want to eventually move back, but I'd really like to buy a vacation home either in Nola or Houma, New Iberia, etc...still undecided!

You should make a few visits before committing to moving back permanently. That's my goal this summer before I decide to buy and regret my decision.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:56 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Bywater is relatively inexpensive and rather safe. The Irish Channel is another place to check out.

I am a 58 year old, single woman and was just there for a professional conference.... stayed in the Sheraton on Canal Street for that..... Unfortunately, it was towards the end of Mardi Gras, so everything was WAAAAYYY spendy.....

That said, I rented half of a double shotgun in the Bywater for four days of "me time" after my conference was over..... and LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it...... a friend flew down and joined me and we spent a fair amount of time in the Quarter during the day, but made sure we were out by the time the Mardi Gras revelers and tourists took over in the evening.......

I loved sitting on the porch of my rental in the mornings, sipping coffee and speaking to the people and dogs walking by..... got to pet many of the dogs, too!! The Bywater seemed to be very walkable with lots of great food and beverage choices......

I have been to NOLA many times over the years and am so over the whole drink myself into a coma on Bourbon Street, so this trip, did some more exploration of other areas of interest..... there were many I was not able to get to and I am already planning to return to continue my exploration....

As to crime.... I lived alone in "the, (big bad) City" here for about 7 years, and before that, lived my entire life in Houston.... Like any big city anywhere, you just have to act with common sense, not paranoia.... be aware of what is going on around you, who is around you.... just don't be stoopid.....

I can't wait to go back when it is NOT Mardi Gras......

Oh, yeah.... I found a podcast called "Beyond Bourbon Street" that is put out by Mark Bologna, a NOLA native, that is FULL of great information about the city and the many great things it offers......

Old 03-27-2019, 05:49 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
I grew up just outside NO and love going back....New Orleans just has a happy and friendly vibe that is unmatched in the USA. I still hate the crime and humidity so that's just something one would have to deal with.

My brother bought a house in Uptown after Katrina and fixed it up and kept it for whenever he wanted to be in the city and loved it....he just sold it )large profit) a few months ago as the property taxes were starting to aggravate him but he hates not having that when he wants to visit now.

I do find it unusual that a non drinker loves New Orleans.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:33 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
Why not move to the Northshore? It is safe, you can walk around your neighborhood at night without feeling scared, and it is very close to the city.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:51 AM

7 posts, read 5,042 times
Nothing in life is permanent. If you want to make the move... do it. If you change your mind you can always move again. You'll never know if you'll enjoy living here unless you do it.

As far as the Bywater and Irish Channel area concerned, both have become rather expensive areas. There has been a lot of development in each area over the last 5+ years. The Bywater is the area below St Claude, between it and the river. It ends at the Industrial Canal. The map shows that it runs all the way up the west side of the canal, but most dont consider that the Bywater. The further north you go above St Claude the sketchier the area gets...

"If I could put my finger on it, I'd bottle it and sell it. I came down here originally in 1972 with some drunken fraternity guys and had never seen anything like it — the climate, the smells. It's the cradle of music; it just flipped me. Someone suggested that there's an incomplete part of our chromosomes that gets repaired or found when we hit New Orleans. Some of us just belong here."
- John Goodman - Actor

"There is something about New Orleans that embodies passion; I've never seen that before. There's something tangible about the essence of the city. You can taste and smell it."
- Blake Lively - Actress

“Dear America, I suppose we should introduce ourselves: We're South Louisiana...You probably already know that we talk funny and listen to strange music and eat things you'd probably hire an exterminator to get out of your yard.
We dance even if there's no radio. We drink at funerals. We talk too much and laugh too loud and live too large and, frankly,we're suspicious of others who don't.”
- Chris Rose, 1 Dead in Attic: Post-Katrina Stories

Old 04-06-2019, 08:04 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,941 times
I left New Orleans back in '97. It certainly has changed. There is a strong nostalgia for what New Orleans was, and I look at New Orleans through those rose-tinted glasses.

Ask yourself if you want the old New Orleans, or are aware that you are going to a "new" New Orleans. You may be disappointed if you aren't aware of the changes.

Also, just because Hurricane Katrina blew through recently, doesn't prevent another disaster from happening next year, in 5 years, or 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans