Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 01:16 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

New Orleans had a bunch a problems before Katrina came in and things got worse after. What happened was that the hurricane lifted the veil from all of this and put it all in the open for all to see. New Orleans is a place to party and have a good time, but just like Las Vegas, that's it. School system is full of crap and unless you are richie-rich and can afford private school, forget a nice school. New Orleans is like a revolving door, only worse. IMO, NOLA is like the Vegas of the South in some ways.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:44 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
School system is full of crap and unless you are richie-rich and can afford private school, forget a nice school. New Orleans is like a revolving door, only worse. IMO, NOLA is like the Vegas of the South in some ways.
That is not all accurate. The city is really too large for a generalization like that to work. I know some people who got great public school educations in New Orleans. It's definitely possible. I'm not denying how many problems the city has, nor would I argue that things have worsened since Katrina, but from what I have seen, it isn't as bad as what you're describing.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:43 PM

794 posts, read 3,358,109 times
Default Vegas vs NOLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
That is not all accurate. The city is really too large for a generalization like that to work. I know some people who got great public school educations in New Orleans. It's definitely possible. I'm not denying how many problems the city has, nor would I argue that things have worsened since Katrina, but from what I have seen, it isn't as bad as what you're describing.
Actually, I think Vegas was bigger than NOLA, even right before the hurricane. But the biggest difference is that Vegas puts most of their revenue to public projects and infrastructure. That's why they're one of the most rapidly growing cities in America now. Vegas has some pretty good communities, schools, hospitals, parks, etc.
When politics change in Louisiana, so will the quality of life.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
Actually, I think Vegas was bigger than NOLA, even right before the hurricane. But the biggest difference is that Vegas puts most of their revenue to public projects and infrastructure. That's why they're one of the most rapidly growing cities in America now. Vegas has some pretty good communities, schools, hospitals, parks, etc.
When politics change in Louisiana, so will the quality of life.
I realized I didn't word my post correctly. I was saying that New Orleans is too big for a generalization like that to work (and I figured that was true of many, if not most larger cities). Wasn't trying to keep comparing it to Vegas because I don't know the first thing about Vegas and couldn't comment. So...definitely not disagreeing with your post, just clarifying mine, as it sounds like you know more about the Vegas vs New Orleans issue than I do.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:47 AM

595 posts, read 2,344,250 times
Things are changing here but its a generational issue. Of course if you have a good job you can make it here fine. But I don't have children nor do I plan on having children...but I find for myself the quality of life here higher than somewhere like Atlanta.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
Things are changing here but its a generational issue. Of course if you have a good job you can make it here fine. But I don't have children nor do I plan on having children...but I find for myself the quality of life here higher than somewhere like Atlanta.
I live in Atl metro are so I know what the quality of life there is: not so good. New Orleans is just worse. I was born there(I left before I knew how to talk) and went back to Lousiana a few times. I caught some kind of food virus when I went to Lousiana in 1996 and I went back to New Orleans in 1998 for Christmas and I was glad to go back to Georgia(and I am not a fan of GA either.). Atlanta has violence and other issues, but not like New Orleans.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
My mother used to live in Louisiana throughout her childhood and part of her adult years and she told me that Louisiana has always been corrupt. My father has told me that even though the food is good, New Orleans is filthy and there is a reason why it is called "cancer alley".

Old 12-18-2007, 09:58 PM

595 posts, read 2,344,250 times
You couldn't pay me all the money in the world to leave New Orleans, OR go back to Atlanta.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:54 AM

794 posts, read 3,358,109 times
I know I wouldn't live IN Atlanta. Maybe outside of it, but not in.
And Cancer Alley is the chemical corridor between BTR and NOLA, not NOLA itself. The air is actually somewhat cleaner in NOLA than in BTR (look at the ozone designations), and then look at the 13 country area around ATL.

Just saying, everything is relative when taken into context.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
My mother used to live in Louisiana throughout her childhood and part of her adult years and she told me that Louisiana has always been corrupt. My father has told me that even though the food is good, New Orleans is filthy...
I think all of this depends on where you are, what you're doing, and what you're used to. (Like the poster above me said about relativity). I have seen parts of New Orleans that are quite filthy, but every big city I've noticed some filthy areas in every big city I've ever visited, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans