Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 08:54 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Whites have endured their share of hardships. But, African Americans were pushed back 150 years in every aspect due to slavery. I.E. education, money, housing, effects of sharecropping. They started out from scratch after slavery ended.
I'm not saying they did not but they were not the only ones that started out "from scratch" at that time. I'm just trying to show what kind of life was "the norm" for the people of New Orleans and that area and how it caused many of the problems that came to kind of blow up when Katrina hit.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:15 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I'm not saying they did not but they were not the only ones that started out "from scratch" at that time. I'm just trying to show what kind of life was "the norm" for the people of New Orleans and that area and how it caused many of the problems that came to kind of blow up when Katrina hit.
Nice Quote, very interesting, I don't know the South at all, only by pictures and testimonies.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:06 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Nice Quote, very interesting, I don't know the South at all, only by pictures and testimonies.
Thanks. That is the sad thing in reality. There are so many people in this country that have no clue about the south or how New Orleans and their people lived. There is also this same discussion going on under the General threads in the political section and it is UGLY!!! So many of the myths and misconceptions are so widespread and so false it is not even funny. So many people do not understand that when Katrina hit that it was not that easy for these people to evacuate. Think about it, they survived the intial hit of the hurricane. It was when the levee faild and broke that the destruction hit. I know even here in Dallas there were PLENTY of people that kept saying the people of NO were stupid to not just get in their car and leave. They don't understand that many of these people did not have a car and never have had one. It was not as easy as we can make it out to be from afar. Then to think about the initial hit, they survived, everything was still standing, no large widespread flooding. What would anyone else have done? They would have stayed afterall the storm is by now, right? This mentality is not just in LA but it is all over the country when disasters strike be they natural or manmade. People think they have been thru one and so they stay and refuse to evacuate. Oh well. If you would like to see the "UGLY" side of this debate take a peek at the one under the political threads .

Old 01-04-2007, 04:34 PM

Yeah, I try my best to stay away from generalizations and stereotypes, ecspecially when I am not going on much knowledge. This is how I feel towards Illegal Immigrants I have met, so many of them in my opinion just want money and a better life in America.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:36 PM

I choose to stay away from the Political Aspects of this website, but you should keep educating people on the South and New Orleans, because I think much of the thinking is politically incorrect, ecspecially in California.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:46 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
So many people do not understand that when Katrina hit that it was not that easy for these people to evacuate. They don't understand that many of these people did not have a car and never have had one. .
I was telling my wife as they were piling people in the Superdome..."why don't they bus 'em out?"...i know how poor the south is in general! It's known that N.O.'s poor basically serves the tourism trade in the Big Easy!

Old 01-04-2007, 08:10 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,535 times
If you graduate highschool, and your family income is very low (like many A.A. families) then you will qualify for PELL grants that completely cover the costs of college. TOTALLY. No loans. Straight up money.

Pell grants cover about 35% of the average tuition bill, before books, room, and board. The community college I attend charges $106 per credit, and $45 of that is tuition.

Getting back to the original question, my sister spent 2 years at Xavier, and her stories of life in New Orleans were nerve-racking. Rampant corruption, cops robbing cabbies (sometimes with tourists in the car), 8-year-olds "stepping" (dancing) for tips at 10:00 pm on at Wednesday, and extremely high murder rates.

Does this mean the city shouldn't be rebuilt? No, but maybe this can be a chance to improve things.

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 01-04-2007 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-04-2007, 08:16 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder
Does this mean the city shouldn't be rebuilt? No, but maybe this can be a chance to improve things.
Maybe, but the local political class is too busy fanning the racial flames and fighting any kind of progress.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:44 PM

39 posts, read 194,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
[i]

Pell grants cover about 35% of the average tuition bill, before books, room, and board. The community college I attend charges $106 per credit, and $45 of that is tuition.
Well what about TOPS? If you do well enough in highschool to goto college, then you should qualify for TOPS, which DOES pay tuition and fees, so adding the PELL grants...that should be enough to make it.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:07 AM

484 posts, read 1,944,535 times
what about TOPS?

Is TOPS a Louisiana thing? I've never heard of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans