Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 07:53 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
[i]

Getting back to the original question, my sister spent 2 years at Xavier, and her stories of life in New Orleans were nerve-racking. Rampant corruption, cops robbing cabbies (sometimes with tourists in the car), 8-year-olds "stepping" (dancing) for tips at 10:00 pm on at Wednesday, and extremely high murder rates.

I knew there was a rough edge down there. I know the city has had its share of problems, ecspecially with its corruption with city officials as you said. Some call N.O. the murder capitol of the U.S. They didn't need to show me flooded houses, for me to understand the ninth ward was ridicolously poor. Those homes were so old, the streets were old, and the place looked like it would give you shivers down your back. I knew New Orleans had some horrendous hoods. Los Angeles has poor ghettos, but they didn't look anything like New Orleans. At least in these parts of L.A., the homes are much nicer looking, and not 900 years old. Give me your take.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:17 AM

146 posts, read 571,988 times
Quote:
[i]

Getting back to the original question, my sister spent 2 years at Xavier, and her stories of life in New Orleans were nerve-racking. Rampant corruption, cops robbing cabbies (sometimes with tourists in the car), 8-year-olds "stepping" (dancing) for tips at 10:00 pm on at Wednesday, and extremely high murder rates.

Does this mean the city shouldn't be rebuilt? No, but maybe this can be a chance to improve things.
My school took in about 300 hundred Katrina evacuees the first few months after the storm. These students were simply undereducated w/most reading on the 2nd grade level as 7th & 8th graders. That wasn't the biggest problem though. The cultural values they exhibited were shocking to even the toughtest of our kids and I'm talking inner-city Houston where gangs, violence, and drugs are rampant. Bad behavior that shocks my students is saying alot. Zero respect for authority, rubbing up against teachers in a sexually provocative way, assaults, screaming profanities, fights, fights, and more fights; it was truly mind blowing. We were not sad to see them leave.

The problem with 'Nawlinz', as the kids pronounce it, is not just poverty.

Last edited by english_teacher; 01-05-2007 at 08:26 AM..

Old 01-05-2007, 11:21 AM

39 posts, read 194,544 times
yes it's a Louisiana thing. Basically, if you get a 17 on your ACT and make sure you've taken the nescessary highschool classes, they pay your tuition for a technical degree at any institution.
Not that hard.

And if you do better than a 17, they will give you MORE money, for a 4 year degree. And if you do really well on the ACT, they even give you money in ADDITION to the cost of tuition.

The stipulations for getting TOPS change every year as Louisiana is losing it's funding. They are talking about phasing out this awesome program entirely *sigh* I know I wouldn't hzve been able to goto college without it.

http://www.osfa.state.la.us/TOPS_Q_and_A.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-05-2007, 02:16 PM

I remember when I was twelve we played an all A.A. team in Dallas for a basketball tournament. I'm not sure about the age limit to get inked up in louweesiana, but it must be ten. There were ten kids on the team, and yes all with tattoos, they were almost all 6'1" and above and they were supposed to be twelve and under to be eligible to play. It hit me fast and hard, they do things a little differently in various parts of Louisiana.
Good stories SockMonkey and EnglishTeacher

Old 01-05-2007, 02:56 PM

182 posts, read 810,954 times
Has anyone seen today's headlines on Nola.com? My heart is broken

Old 01-05-2007, 04:32 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,465,869 times
Quote:
what about TOPS?

Is TOPS a Louisiana thing? I've never heard of it.
Yes, it came about in the late 1990s. One of a few programs in Looziana that actually rewareds achievers.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:32 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
I guess my school got the "good" N.O. kids - A few came after Katrina... but all of them left before Rita.

Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
My school took in about 300 hundred Katrina evacuees the first few months after the storm. These students were simply undereducated w/most reading on the 2nd grade level as 7th & 8th graders. That wasn't the biggest problem though. The cultural values they exhibited were shocking to even the toughtest of our kids and I'm talking inner-city Houston where gangs, violence, and drugs are rampant. Bad behavior that shocks my students is saying alot. Zero respect for authority, rubbing up against teachers in a sexually provocative way, assaults, screaming profanities, fights, fights, and more fights; it was truly mind blowing. We were not sad to see them leave.

The problem with 'Nawlinz', as the kids pronounce it, is not just poverty.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:20 PM

46 posts, read 92,748 times
Question Just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
That was a good one! I believe their should be greater federal money aid to black folks and a formal state of the union apology to African Americans for slavery.
I'm hoping that you're just kidding, but there are a variety of people on this forum so I must make sure. Do you honestly believe that African-Americans need more federal aid? If so, why?

Old 01-07-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky View Post
I'm hoping that you're just kidding, but there are a variety of people on this forum so I must make sure. Do you honestly believe that African-Americans need more federal aid? If so, why?
Read my 1st and 3rd reply on page two.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:52 AM

2 posts, read 7,165 times
Default Wasn't New Orleans Bad Before Katrina?--Reply

Yes, you are absolutely right! I grew up in Kenner, LA out by the N.O. Airport. I had relatives that lived in the upper ninth ward. We would frequently drive through the lower ninth ward and from what I remember it was a hole. This area of New Orleans in which they keep talking about on the news was not all that before Katrina. Most of the houses there were old and condemned already. This area was a hotbed of criminal activity--specifically drug related crimes. Yes some people had nice homes there but most were crap. Unfortunately , the good have to suffer for the bad. I hate to say it but maybe Hurricane Katrina was a good thing. I truly believe that there will be a New New Orleans in about 5 to 10 years. The City of N.O. will get some much needed infrastructure upgrades and will rise again and become the crown jewel of the south again. Alot of people will be better off in the long run. Some of those who were forced to leave have found better jobs and living conditions in other parts of the state and country. Another thing that pisses me off is the fact that Houston says the crime has gone up because of the exodus from Louisiana. There was a helluva lot of crime in Houston, TX well before Hurricane Katrina. The majority of the people who have left New Orleans are doing better. My cousin was and her husband and daughter left and moved to Lafayette, LA in the wake of the hurricane and they are doing a lot better than they were when the were living in N.O. They now have better jobs and live in a much nicer area and are better off financially. Well that is all I have to say for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans