Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:16 PM

166 posts, read 613,062 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: quote from one year ago, member no longer active
I lived in NOLA pre-Katrina, and yes, there are socio-economic issues that were unaddressed until the hurricain that always turned left, took a straight shot into the heart of the city.

There are many areas in our country, however, that require socio-economic attention. Let's hope that our efforts return to improving America first and the World second sometime soon.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-24-2007 at 04:10 AM..

Old 11-24-2007, 07:36 AM

251 posts, read 703,370 times
I have lived in New Orleans before, during and after Katrina.
I was a first responder during the hurricane so I had to stay through it.
There were some people who were genuinely grateful for being assisted through the event and those that wanted to kill you for whatever food, water or medical supplies (mostly the narcotics) you may have in your posession.
(I work in the medical field.)
It was the only time since being in the Army that I had to carry a firearm while I was working.

Was it bad before the storm? In some parts sure, not so much in other parts.
New Orleans has always been diverse in terms of socioeconomic strata and culture.
Was it a bad place to live? I'd have to say not; I'm still here.
After the storm our "refugees", a majority from the lower income brackets, read "culture of poverty", did cause a lot of trouble in the places they moved to. And, oddly enough, during their absence, New Orleans was never a safer place to live. Pretty much everyone who didn't leave had jobs and enough of a financial safety net that their homes got repaired soon after the fact, despite the gouging contractors. (I lost half of my home so I can tell you first-hand.) The crime rate was never lower.
Now it is rising again as the people return and the per-capita crime rate is reaching new highs.

Mind you, I am not saying that everyone that left was a bad person. Just saying a disproportionate number of the criminals evacuated (and subsequently lived off of FEMA assistance for as long as they could) and are now returning.

There is also quite a brain drain in the medical field. A great majority of the medical practitioners here prior to the storm have fled to other states. I know several physicians and nurses that did this and they report that they are quite happy with their decision. If you or someone you know is a medical professional and is looking for a job, New Orleans has plenty of openings still. One of my jobs is hiring new professionals at one of the few open hospitals here- I can't fill even one third of my positions.

I know, that was a rather rambling rant, but I hope is speaks to the topic at hand.
Have a great day!

Old 11-24-2007, 08:57 AM

382 posts, read 951,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
That was a good one! I believe their should be greater federal money aid to black folks and a formal state of the union apology to African Americans for slavery.
Oh yeah, more free money and a baseless apology; that will help them.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:42 AM

595 posts, read 2,337,770 times
Cut the aid to black (and white folk). Give them the tools to help themselves through job training and education...if they don't get a job or go to college and maintain good grades, aid is cut.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:51 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,212,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expgc View Post
Oh yeah, more free money and a baseless apology; that will help them.
Is that the only thing of value you found in this entire thread, a note from almost a year ago??? We've moved past that post, thanks for moving with us.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:17 PM

595 posts, read 2,337,770 times
It is a valid point since New Orleans has suffered heavily under the welfare state.

Entire generation(s) of people in New Orleans, mostly black haven't had access to good schools, only handouts...string them along enough to keep people in power.

Of course the solutions just aren't that simple either.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:20 PM

72,815 posts, read 62,121,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
Cut the aid to black (and white folk). Give them the tools to help themselves through job training and education...if they don't get a job or go to college and maintain good grades, aid is cut.
Reduce aid to anyone who is on welfare and get them job training or college. That is what this society needs. Create a culture of prosperity and work. The drug dealers seem like good business men. Make them put those same hustler skills to better use. As for training, I am worried because alot of blue-collar jobs get outsourced to other countries.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:20 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,584,084 times
Good point about good business men. The problem is they might have felonies that prevent them from getting employment. Maybe we should have a forgiveness program for people who can stay out of trouble for a certain time.

Have a strict time line for welfare, section 8, etc. One or two years is enough for anyone to get on their feet. Maybe 4 years, if they are in school and can prove attendance and good grades.

I would make a city ordinance that makes it illegal for children to be street performers.

Last edited by peggydavis; 11-25-2007 at 09:31 PM..

Old 11-25-2007, 09:33 PM

39 posts, read 145,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pristupa View Post
If we are to compete globally we need to train our people fast. China and India is going to leave us in the dust. We need to put all our resources and people to work.
Ha. yeah right. America is to lazy!

Old 11-26-2007, 10:08 PM

382 posts, read 951,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Is that the only thing of value you found in this entire thread, a note from almost a year ago??? We've moved past that post, thanks for moving with us.
Well, I certainly didn't find any value in your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans