Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 05:02 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,247 times

Advertisements

maybe I'm Wrong But Wasn't New Orleans Full Of Ghetto And Slums Before Katrina, I Understand Many Areas Were Fine, But I Believe Our Main Focus Should Be Focusing On African American Poverty In The United States Regardless Of A Natural Disaster Making Things Worst..and I'm A Caucasian Male!

Old 12-14-2006, 06:37 PM

152 posts, read 732,202 times
Default We need to train people

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
maybe I'm Wrong But Wasn't New Orleans Full Of Ghetto And Slums Before Katrina, I Understand Many Areas Were Fine, But I Believe Our Main Focus Should Be Focusing On African American Poverty In The United States Regardless Of A Natural Disaster Making Things Worst..and I'm A Caucasian Male!
If we are to compete globally we need to train our people fast. China and India is going to leave us in the dust. We need to put all our resources and people to work.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:07 AM

42 posts, read 250,351 times
I would have to say yes, that it was not the best place in the world to live. The employment sector offer low wages, even with a bachelor's degree I found it difficult to find a job that paid well. New Orleans had always touted its tourism, but that industry offer minimum wage jobs that could not support an individual much less a family. Coupled with that you had many folks on goverment assistance , a crime rate that was the highest nationally, and one of the poorest communities in America. Living in New Orleans was a stuggle for me financially as well as other relatives of mine and my peers. I would not go back there to live as it was a dissapointment to me and I was born and raised there.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:45 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
Unfortunately NO has for the most part always been a city that was great to visit, but not to live in.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:01 PM

923 posts, read 3,513,203 times
Quote:

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!!

Old 12-23-2006, 05:20 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,051 times
Default Ok...

Quote:
, But I Believe Our Main Focus Should Be Focusing On African American Poverty In The United States ..and I'm A Caucasian Male!
I think you're absolutely right, and you should move into the most African-American neighborhood you can find in your area and start helping those folks out.

Old 12-25-2006, 11:10 PM

126 posts, read 471,531 times
New Orleans had its urban issues before Katrina and many are still here today, but, overall, I'm very satisfied with my life here, the beauty of the city, and the cultural experiences the city offers. I've traveled to many cities, but, I'm always thrilled when I return back home to New Orleans. The city provides me with a great life and a decent income.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:34 AM

20 posts, read 34,463 times
The Media portrayal of NO was inaccurate, IMO.
As Harry Connick, jr stated: The city has a rich, vibrant culture.
If I had one wish I'd send Geroge to the lower 9th ward to spend the night.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:38 PM

5 posts, read 31,425 times
I agree that the media portrays NOLA wrong, sometimes. Was it dangerous? Yes. But it was rich with culture and history that no other American city can claim. My biggest problem is that the media shows the Superdome, French Quarter, etc. and has everybody thinking it's back to normal. I recently went to NOLA and it is far from ok. I think if people could see the destruction for themselves, they would be outraged and try to help even more.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:41 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
I think you're absolutely right, and you should move into the most African-American neighborhood you can find in your area and start helping those folks out.
That was a good one! I believe their should be greater federal money aid to black folks and a formal state of the union apology to African Americans for slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans