Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 08:25 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Has anyone seen this video?

https://youtu.be/ZUKL3T1DjX8

And you think New Orleans today is dangerous? It's nothing compared to past years, for example like around the mid-90's.
All crime, but especially violent crime, was generally much worse in every city in the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s. However, crime can still be a problem even if it’s less than it was before. Especially in a city like New Orleans, which has some of the highest rates of violent crime in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2021, 09:59 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Getting tough on crime doesn't actually mean anything. It's a gimmick.
I don't agree with this statement. Giuliani changed NYC in a big way and then Bloomberg continued the approach and indeed crime dropped to amazingly low levels. Gone are those days, but crime can be changed by leadership and style. I personally like Giuliani's and Bloomberg's style on crime, but I know many that don't.

I actually came here to wish everyone in New Orleans well. Hope everyone stays safe down there. We are all thinking of you folks and hoping you all are okay.

Old 08-29-2021, 10:03 AM

4,504 posts, read 4,615,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The Deep South has been a region of high murder rates for a very long time. This goes back to the 1800s.
Yes that's true and many northern cities have the same problem. Murder and violent crime rates are off the charts in cities like, St Louis, Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, Cleveland, Oakland, Newark, Philadelphia, and many others. There's a common denominator that will remain nameless and forever known as "the elephant in the room".

Old 08-30-2021, 02:48 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,234,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Lmao at forgot.
Yes it has been the murder capital for that long and I guess you don't understand history and Southern strategy and the ideological switch the political parties made, do you?

This state has always been a conservative strong hold and state politics shows that. The state hasn't voted progressive since Huey Long back when white people loved social programs before black people could benefit.

For you to suggest that Louisiana was liberal is absolutely hilarious. Next you're going to say Mississippi is as liberal as King County because black people live there. Laughable.

Didn't say "liberal" You did. I said Democrat. Democrats weren't liberal until 1968. But they were corrupt fools. Then. And now. Conservative or liberal. It don't matter. The Dems haven't changed a bit since the Civil War. The only difference is in who they hate. And there's about 32 years in between 1968 and the year 2000.... so much for your "ideological switch" gambit. And they were running Louisiana for much, much longer than Republicans were. Long before and long AFTER the fictitious "southern strategy" excuse you trot out to deflect the argument.

But, you forgot all that because it doesn't flatter your party. The Dems are corrupt fools who live by the motto "The Ends Justify the Means". All that's changed is in who they hate.

Nor have you Dems renounced a single thing your political ancestors did in the last 150 years. Not a thing. You've kept doing them, in fact.

Old 08-30-2021, 06:18 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Yes, of course. All kinds of terrible crimes happen in wealthy neighborhoods, including violent ones. However, those crimes usually take place behind walls, wealth, and privilege, so we don’t know of the scale; are not faced with the ugliness behind the lace curtains. In “poor” neighborhoods, people on the outside have a habit of making it their business to keep track of the violent crime because it’s often public, sensationalized by the media, and usually committed by people the non-poor find distasteful and dangerous; people the wealthy and working class can both resent and point to, as they so often do. For example: “we all know who really commits the crime in X city. We just can’t be honest about it.” As if they are honest in discussing or even admitting the crimes of their own people, in their own neighborhoods.

So yes, I absolutely agree and probably should have clarified what I meant when I said that.
I just like to normalize the fact that crime happens frequently in the suburbs and nice neighborhoods too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I don't agree with this statement. Giuliani changed NYC in a big way and then Bloomberg continued the approach and indeed crime dropped to amazingly low levels. Gone are those days, but crime can be changed by leadership and style. I personally like Giuliani's and Bloomberg's style on crime, but I know many that don't.

I actually came here to wish everyone in New Orleans well. Hope everyone stays safe down there. We are all thinking of you folks and hoping you all are okay.
Those were illegal searches and ruled unconstitutional. Of course you don't mind them, you obviously were never harassed by NYPD during that time for living in a bad neighborhood. China has low crime because of restrictive unconstitutional laws as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Yes that's true and many northern cities have the same problem. Murder and violent crime rates are off the charts in cities like, St Louis, Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, Cleveland, Oakland, Newark, Philadelphia, and many others. There's a common denominator that will remain nameless and forever known as "the elephant in the room".
Poverty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Didn't say "liberal" You did. I said Democrat. Democrats weren't liberal until 1968. But they were corrupt fools. Then. And now. Conservative or liberal. It don't matter. The Dems haven't changed a bit since the Civil War. The only difference is in who they hate. And there's about 32 years in between 1968 and the year 2000.... so much for your "ideological switch" gambit. And they were running Louisiana for much, much longer than Republicans were. Long before and long AFTER the fictitious "southern strategy" excuse you trot out to deflect the argument.

But, you forgot all that because it doesn't flatter your party. The Dems are corrupt fools who live by the motto "The Ends Justify the Means". All that's changed is in who they hate.

Nor have you Dems renounced a single thing your political ancestors did in the last 150 years. Not a thing. You've kept doing them, in fact.
Are you seriously suggesting that Republicans are not corrupt? And I'm not a Democrat in any sense of the word.

But I would be interested in hearing more about your political thought process. Very intriguing.

Who do democrats hate? Are you talking about citizens or the elite?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans