Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 02:56 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,231,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Did you read the whole thread, including my prior post re 'poverty as the (main) cause of crime??
Statistically poverty correlates with crime in the US but correlates more strongly with ethnicity.
E.G. Poor Asians do not commit violent crimes at a rate in proportion to other impoverished populations.

i

Actually, poor Asians commit more than their fair share of crime. A significant amount of crime that's committed in the Twin Cities are actually by Southeast Asians (particularly Hmong). There's also some considerable Asian gang activity on the West Coast, but since the Asian population as a whole is still very small compared to the rest of the U.S., it's not perceived to be nearly as problematic as with other populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
People don't commit crimes because they are poor. If they did, then all poor people would be commiting crimes. Poor people, like every other economic group, who commit a crime do so because they CHOOSE to commit a crime.

Being poor is an excuse for commiting a crime.

That is true, but impoverished people are far more likely to commit crimes than someone middle or upper-class. And of course not every crime committed by a poor person is for financial gain. But just about everyone who is poor wants to improve their lot in life, and some poor people aren't willing to do so by putting forth an honest effort. For example, it's a lot easier for a poor person to deal drugs, run a brothel or rob a convenience store than it is to pay for four or five years of school and land a decent job. A few of these folks are wily and can make lots of money doing these illicit things, and can go on doing this for years, but the vast majority get caught sooner rather than later (and for some, getting three hots and a cot in prison is preferable to sleeping on a park bench every night).

But I digress. I don't think there's a singular driving force why cities like New Orleans suffers from high crime, but rather a very complex combination of history, culture, socioeconomics, etc. Poverty is certainly part of it, but it's certainly not the end-all, be-all factor.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:30 PM

9,005 posts, read 13,769,137 times
Quote:
Spot on.
That's why we've developed elaborate 'codespeak' .. that everyone pretends doesn't exist.
Like the elephant in the room.
\Explain Alaska's high crime rate then?

Old 05-10-2019, 12:47 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,727,051 times
Quote:
Statistically poverty correlates with crime in the US but correlates more strongly with ethnicity.E.G. Poor Asians do not commit violent crimes at a rate in proportion to other impoverished populations.
Were Asians brought against their will from their home countries to be enslaved in the U.S. and forced to work for zero pay?

Old 05-10-2019, 03:14 AM

10,116 posts, read 15,791,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I think part of New Orlean's problem is...it's located in a temperate zone, and cities located in temperate zones attract transients, and transients often end up committing crimes, and bringing drugs. Add heat and humidity and stir it all up.
This logic doesn't explain the state of affairs in Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and St. Louis. New Orleans just has a large ghetto population, plain and simple. Generational poverty, drug use, etc. Also, NO doesn't actually feel as violent as the above cities. New Orleans has many nice parts of town where crime isn't on my mind at all. Whenever I'm in Baltimore, even in the "nice" parts things aren't truly completely nice.

There's also Mexican drug cartel activity spilling in from Texas.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:31 AM

29,841 posts, read 18,685,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
\Explain Alaska's high crime rate then?
I compared Anchorage murder rate over the last 5 years to New Orleans over the last 5 years and New Orleans murder rate is 7 times higher.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:17 AM

72,817 posts, read 62,152,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I compared Anchorage murder rate over the last 5 years to New Orleans over the last 5 years and New Orleans murder rate is 7 times higher.
Alaska, not just Anchorage. Louisiana has the highest murder in the nation, but Alaska is in the top 10. And since we're talking about Anchorage, explain the high rate of rape and assault. Both New Orleans and Anchorage rank high in rape and aggravated assault.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Were Asians brought against their will from their home countries to be enslaved in the U.S. and forced to work for zero pay?
The closest thing that fits that description were the "coolies". They were basically the West's version of sharecroppers (very hard labor for extremely low pay). They hailed from many different parts of Asia, but they're most commonly associated with Chinese laborers.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:36 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,943,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Then explain Detroit (high murder rate), Anchorage (high rate of assault and rape, and the high number of transients). Both are cold cities, Anchorage especially.

You busted my bubble Mariner. LOL I don't have an answer for that.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:57 AM

72,817 posts, read 62,152,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
You busted my bubble Mariner. LOL I don't have an answer for that.
I don't like hot, humid, weather, and it can be a contributor to violence. However it isn't the only thing to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans