Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 08:03 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
The closest thing that fits that description were the "coolies". They were basically the West's version of sharecroppers (very hard labor for extremely low pay). They hailed from many different parts of Asia, but they're most commonly associated with Chinese laborers.
"Coolies" had a contract to go by. Slaves had no contract and were bought and sold like cattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 08:34 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
That is true, but impoverished people are far more likely to commit crimes than someone middle or upper-class. And of course not every crime committed by a poor person is for financial gain. But just about everyone who is poor wants to improve their lot in life, and some poor people aren't willing to do so by putting forth an honest effort. For example, it's a lot easier for a poor person to deal drugs, run a brothel or rob a convenience store than it is to pay for four or five years of school and land a decent job. A few of these folks are wily and can make lots of money doing these illicit things, and can go on doing this for years, but the vast majority get caught sooner rather than later (and for some, getting three hots and a cot in prison is preferable to sleeping on a park bench every night).

But I digress. I don't think there's a singular driving force why cities like New Orleans suffers from high crime, but rather a very complex combination of history, culture, socioeconomics, etc. Poverty is certainly part of it, but it's certainly not the end-all, be-all factor.
I think it's unethical to steal. You are saying poor people have low ethics.
(Unless you are using the Jean Valjean defense. But are these criminals actually starving to death??)

Old 05-10-2019, 11:54 AM

370 posts, read 447,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Alaska, not just Anchorage. Louisiana has the highest murder in the nation, but Alaska is in the top 10. And since we're talking about Anchorage, explain the high rate of rape and assault. Both New Orleans and Anchorage rank high in rape and aggravated assault.

The ability to get free money from tourists by begging and stealing is a big draw of criminals to New Orleans. They do not see themselves as criminals rather just living a shadow world that few people want to admit exists because society today is not allowed to correct parenting behaviors.

Many unsuccessful people in Louisiana have the opinion that they have nothing because someone else took it from them. I hear this a lot in the streets and at work places across the state. When I am working in areas where children are roaming outside their homes, they will come up to me asking for things. If I tell them "No" often the reply is "You are rich you owe me" or a complicated ethnic phrase that they could have not learned on their own. The children are being taught this behavior and their attitude affects their early development negatively. For generations these attitudes are taught perpetuating the myth that they cannot succeed because of the "BOSS MAN". Carry this out to adulthood and its little surprise that anger coagulates around rich tourist centers in Louisiana to both get easy money and revenge for what they were taught by others as children.

People think that in 2019 children are raised differently, but tour some trailer parks in the region and you will get an earful especially after 3PM but before 5PM on weekdays in Louisiana.

One story that still sticks with me is a 11 year old boy who moved here from Missouri and would come over in the afternoons while we were building a property in Louisiana. The boy was clearly not in public school due to his arrival times. One of us would ask him a math related question while building a fence and he would change the subject. I was called over to talk with him and we soon realized he could not read or write. We asked why he was in Louisiana and he said it was for the free food (Louisiana EBT program) and that his mother had a job. Everyday before he left our worksite, he would ask for payment for his help. Someone in his life had taught the boy one lesson, find working people and ask for money. Two years ago the boy disappeared as suddenly as he had arrived. He has all the tools to survive now in New Orleans or some other Gulf Coast tourist city, just find working people and ask for money after helping out. Once this man discovers drugs his behaviors will become more forced and demanding for compensation or exchange of goods to get high again. He might even have a child and then cycle begins all over.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:36 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Alaska, not just Anchorage. Louisiana has the highest murder in the nation, but Alaska is in the top 10. And since we're talking about Anchorage, explain the high rate of rape and assault. Both New Orleans and Anchorage rank high in rape and aggravated assault.
Again, it's demographics...specifically the extremely high crime rate of the native Eskimo population lifts their crime rate higher. New Orleans has a large number of the demographic that drives up the national homicide rate.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:13 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
This logic doesn't explain the state of affairs in Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and St. Louis. New Orleans just has a large ghetto population, plain and simple. Generational poverty, drug use, etc. Also, NO doesn't actually feel as violent as the above cities. New Orleans has many nice parts of town where crime isn't on my mind at all. Whenever I'm in Baltimore, even in the "nice" parts things aren't truly completely nice.

There's also Mexican drug cartel activity spilling in from Texas.

You aren't in the "Nice Parts", you are in the touristy known parts. To this day I have never gotten the fascination with Fells Point.

I think if you were in Roland Park, Mount Washington, Mount Vernon, Charles Street, parts of Saint Paul Streets that perspective would be different.

If you were 16 miles north of Fells Point you would be in a very nice area. Some of the nicest areas anywhere.......I know, not the city, but if you grew up here.........

Old 05-11-2019, 08:36 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
There's also Mexican drug cartel activity spilling in from Texas.
You're way behind the times if you think Mexican cartels are just now spilling in. The Mexican cartels have been throughout the U.S. including New Orleans since the early 1990s.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:04 AM

3,320 posts, read 1,819,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
\Explain Alaska's high crime rate then?
Statistically Alaska had the highest male to female ratio in the United States in 2017, with 109 men for every 100 women. The male to female ratio was lowest in the District of Columbia, with 90.2 men for every 100 women.

Higher concentration of males, especially of younger males seeking adventure, could account for that but it is certainly an outlier. Also 15% of the state is Inuit or other Alaskan native, far higher than most. But whether this correlates with crime is only conjecture on my part as I have no statistical evidence on how that bears on crime type or rate.

Alaska may be an outlier for undetermined reasons, but it does not disprove my position, as the statistics for the DC area are also quite notable.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:31 AM

9,533 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Let's see, twenty-two posts and nearly all have ignored the Elephant in the Room. Ask yourself, what do most urban areas in the USA with inordinately high crime rates have in common?

But it isn't PC to talk about that, so "Shhhhhhh".
I agree that's the root of the problem. Not addressing the root of the problem. Because its not PC to talk about it. When PC gets to that point its destroying us as a society. We are already at that point.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:06 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I agree that's the root of the problem. Not addressing the root of the problem. Because its not PC to talk about it. When PC gets to that point its destroying us as a society. We are already at that point.
Okay then. What is your solution to tackling the violent crime problem in New Orleans?

Old 05-12-2019, 08:52 AM

9,533 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Okay then. What is your solution to tackling the violent crime problem in New Orleans?
The same as should be done in Chicago. Call in the National Guard to put some order in place. As well as address why the Police , are not capable of maintaining safety. Most of all Set up programs to addtess, the reasons so many live a life of crime. The reasons are obvious race, education and income disparity. Those issues have to be faced up to, or nothing much changes.

This has been going on for decades, that's why I said. Let the National Guard pull some duty in these leaders of troubled cities. The whole country has these problems, but New Orleans is a top contender. As well as Chicago

Otherwise things just deteriorate until its complete chaos. Truthfully that's how America behaves, We do not deal with internal problems, mostly because its not PC to do so. Although we go into other countries to straighten them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans