Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 10:07 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
The same as should be done in Chicago. Call in the National Guard to put some order in place. As well as address why the Police , are not capable of maintaining safety. Most of all Set up programs to addtess, the reasons so many live a life of crime. The reasons are obvious race, education and income disparity. Those issues have to be faced up to, or nothing much changes.

This has been going on for decades, that's why I said. Let the National Guard pull some duty in these leaders of troubled cities. The whole country has these problems, but New Orleans is a top contender. As well as Chicago

Otherwise things just deteriorate until its complete chaos. Truthfully that's how America behaves, We do not deal with internal problems, mostly because its not PC to do so. Although we go into other countries to straighten them out.
The National Guard can only be called in if martial law is declared. Martial law can only be declared if there is a riot or war situation. What is going on in the ghetto is not so much war, but alot of crime. Much of the violent crime, specifically murders involves gang activity and people getting in arguments with each(killing one another out of anger). Even if the gang activity gets dealt with, there are still alot of people with anger problems and will kill out of anger.

This is the thing. How does being a certain race make you susceptible to committing a crime? I'm Black and I don't commit violent crime. Vast majority of Black people around me don't commit violence.

Here is the thing. The majority of murders in the USA are Black men being murdered by other Black men (and in some cases Black women and Hispanic men). The places where Black on Black murder takes place, those places were always the worst places to live. Black people, relative to other groups, have long dealt with the worst living condition in America. When legal and economic restrictions were done away with, Black people with the means and education left certain neighborhoods, and never went back. Those left behind try to survive until they get a chance to leave. Those problem affect the inner city ghettos and poor neighborhoods, not the rest of the America.

This is stuff the National Guard cannot do anything about, nor is it the National Guard's job to deal with. And trying to go into other countries to straighten them out isn't working very well either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 06:33 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The National Guard can only be called in if martial law is declared. Martial law can only be declared if there is a riot or war situation. What is going on in the ghetto is not so much war, but alot of crime. Much of the violent crime, specifically murders involves gang activity and people getting in arguments with each(killing one another out of anger). Even if the gang activity gets dealt with, there are still alot of people with anger problems and will kill out of anger.

This is the thing. How does being a certain race make you susceptible to committing a crime? I'm Black and I don't commit violent crime. Vast majority of Black people around me don't commit violence.

Here is the thing. The majority of murders in the USA are Black men being murdered by other Black men (and in some cases Black women and Hispanic men). The places where Black on Black murder takes place, those places were always the worst places to live. Black people, relative to other groups, have long dealt with the worst living condition in America. When legal and economic restrictions were done away with, Black people with the means and education left certain neighborhoods, and never went back. Those left behind try to survive until they get a chance to leave. Those problem affect the inner city ghettos and poor neighborhoods, not the rest of the America.

This is stuff the National Guard cannot do anything about, nor is it the National Guard's job to deal with. And trying to go into other countries to straighten them out isn't working very well either.
Your right on all counts. I know its not everyone. Many black people are disgusted with all the crime as well. What do you think would help?

Old 05-12-2019, 07:36 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Quote:
The same as should be done in Chicago. Call in the National Guard to put some order in place. As well as address why the Police , are not capable of maintaining safety. Most of all Set up programs to addtess, the reasons so many live a life of crime. The reasons are obvious race, education and income disparity. Those issues have to be faced up to, or nothing much changes.

This has been going on for decades, that's why I said. Let the National Guard pull some duty in these leaders of troubled cities. The whole country has these problems, but New Orleans is a top contender. As well as Chicago

Otherwise things just deteriorate until its complete chaos. Truthfully that's how America behaves, We do not deal with internal problems, mostly because its not PC to do so. Although we go into other countries to straighten them out.
All the National Guard were called up for the border by the prez.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Your right on all counts. I know its not everyone. Many black people are disgusted with all the crime as well. What do you think would help?
Right now, it seems like the #1 thing helping Black people is to leave the ghettos altogether. There have been Black people who have spoken up, to no avail. You have several problems.

1) Individuals who have a mentality of "everything is hopeless".
2) Alot of anger. Probably more mental health problems in impoverished Black neighborhoods than we might know about.
3) Gangs.

With gangs, not much we can do about them except lock them up. Technically, they aren't classified as terrorists groups, but criminal organizations. They bring terror to the neighborhoods, and they also sell drugs. Ironic considering resources spent on the drug war.

With mental health, men are less likely to seek out mental health resources than women. In the Black American population, this is even more the case. I notice that many murders are committed in the heat of arguments. Alot of anger, alot of this "you disrespected me, so you must die" mentality in the ghettos.

And in the ghetto, despair tends to be normal. There are also a large number of broken families in the ghettos.

At this point, the best thing anyone can do is call the police and have alot of people locked up. Louisiana has one of the highest imprisonment rates in the country. It doesn't stop more violence later on though. The death penalty doesn't even seem to deter violent individuals. Some individuals have a mentality of "I don't expect to live past 25 or 30, so who cares?". Some people don't care if they live or die.

Since I was never raised in the ghetto, the best thing I can do as a Black man is to stay out of the ghetto. For many, leaving the ghetto is the best way out.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:37 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,984,980 times
Quote:
Okay then. What is your solution to tackling the violent crime problem in New Orleans?
I think the solution is very easy.

1) Do not over police the neighborhoods unless that certain area wants police presence. Use that police presence in the tourist and business areas.
2) Tighten up punishment for violent crime.

People can cry about race and demographics all they want, but the facts are that we are all here together now, so we better learn how to get along. The only ways to truly prevent crime are deterrents, incentives and punishment.

Deterrents can be many things. Alarm systems, weapons, police, etc.

Incentives mainly come from the community. Why should a person stay away from crime? I would say that not flaunting wealth around would fall under this section. Churches need to step in here. Government can help with sports leagues and such, but it's mainly parents and community volunteers.

Punishment. No explanation needed. Violent criminals need to fear jail.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:02 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
The reasons are obvious race, education and income disparity.
You got one out of three correct: income disparity.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:32 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
My own personal opinion:

1) A lot of poverty, generations of people who have been raised in the gang culture
2) The city has always been a haven for outlaws and illegal activity, thus in general the 'law' is just more lenient towards crime
3) People go there with 'lawless' intentions, what history generally regards as sinful things (gambling, prostitution, drugs)

It's really that simple to me. Something about rivers too, that seem to harness evil spirits

We got the same river yet nowhere near as much crime and violence. Maybe its just more polluted down there.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
I think the solution is very easy.

1) Do not over police the neighborhoods unless that certain area wants police presence. Use that police presence in the tourist and business areas.
2) Tighten up punishment for violent crime.

People can cry about race and demographics all they want, but the facts are that we are all here together now, so we better learn how to get along. The only ways to truly prevent crime are deterrents, incentives and punishment.

Deterrents can be many things. Alarm systems, weapons, police, etc.

Incentives mainly come from the community. Why should a person stay away from crime? I would say that not flaunting wealth around would fall under this section. Churches need to step in here. Government can help with sports leagues and such, but it's mainly parents and community volunteers.

Punishment. No explanation needed. Violent criminals need to fear jail.
In many neighborhoods, the police don't show up at all. Alot of violent crime there.

Louisiana locks up alot of people every year. It doesn't seem to deter people who are about to commit crime. One would "okay, I will go to prison for this, so I better not do that". However, for many, this isn't the thought process. And this leads me to something else.

I agree that if you commit violent crimes, you need to be punished severely. Sadly, violent criminals do not fear prison much. Many of them don't even fear dying. Many of them do not expect to live past 30, so they don't care. There is more below.

In in many circles, going to prison is how you get respect. You're considered tough in that community if you have done time in prison. If you're in a gang, you get more respect for going to prison than going to college. I watched a youtube video. The person on there was talking about how a big party would be thrown for a guy who just got out of prison, but not so much for the guy who graduated from college.

I watched Boyz N The Hood when I was younger. Doughboy got a big "coming out of prison" party thrown for him. He had been in and out of prison/juvenile hall since his youth. He kept on being a criminal until his death. He shot multiple people in retaliation to his brother being murdered. What stopped Doughboy? The law didn't stop him. Doughboy being murdered stopped him. He died a young, angry man.

There was more I noticed. Doughboy never had his father around. His mother was abusive towards him as a kid. His mother basically hated him. This crap starts young. Doughboy would have been better off had been given up for adoption. That is sadly what it is. His mother wasn't really fit to raise him.

The police can take criminals off of the streets. Prisons can take criminals out of the neighborhood. But many of those neighborhoods have the perfect storm for creating new criminals.

And I think about this. You can tell someone "we're in this together", but they won't believe it. They live in their own world and don't really see any kind of "we're in this together".

Old 05-13-2019, 12:52 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,984,980 times
Quote:
In many neighborhoods, the police don't show up at all. Alot of violent crime there.
Seems like the anti-police mentality isn't helping, eh?

Quote:
Louisiana locks up alot of people every year. It doesn't seem to deter people who are about to commit crime. One would "okay, I will go to prison for this, so I better not do that". However, for many, this isn't the thought process. And this leads me to something else.
First, we need to quit locking so many up for petty crimes. The key word is 'violent', and I think we agree, as you say below. As far as the punishment, the reason the severity is gone is due to the policies. No need to get into a political debate about that.

Quote:
I agree that if you commit violent crimes, you need to be punished severely. Sadly, violent criminals do not fear prison much. Many of them don't even fear dying. Many of them do not expect to live past 30, so they don't care. There is more below.

In in many circles, going to prison is how you get respect. You're considered tough in that community if you have done time in prison. If you're in a gang, you get more respect for going to prison than going to college. I watched a youtube video. The person on there was talking about how a big party would be thrown for a guy who just got out of prison, but not so much for the guy who graduated from college.

I watched Boyz N The Hood when I was younger. Doughboy got a big "coming out of prison" party thrown for him. He had been in and out of prison/juvenile hall since his youth. He kept on being a criminal until his death. He shot multiple people in retaliation to his brother being murdered. What stopped Doughboy? The law didn't stop him. Doughboy being murdered stopped him. He died a young, angry man.

There was more I noticed. Doughboy never had his father around. His mother was abusive towards him as a kid. His mother basically hated him. This crap starts young. Doughboy would have been better off had been given up for adoption. That is sadly what it is. His mother wasn't really fit to raise him.

The police can take criminals off of the streets. Prisons can take criminals out of the neighborhood. But many of those neighborhoods have the perfect storm for creating new criminals.

And I think about this. You can tell someone "we're in this together", but they won't believe it. They live in their own world and don't really see any kind of "we're in this together".
No doubt it starts in the home. At this point though, I think the toothpaste is out of that tube. At some point the church may be the only hope left. It's certainly not the government.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:55 PM

623 posts, read 311,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Not from there but I'd guess

Poor education

Poverty

Lawless intentions

Ease of access to guns

As another poster said, Smaller unorganized gangs (BOSTON- WHICH IS FAR FROM COMPARABLE TO NEW ORLEANS- has had his problem and that's why it's crime rate has been much higher than NYC in the mid 1990s 110-160 street gabgs..Baltimore has small violent gangs and regional large gangs to supply the trade so it gets hammered)
Actually, difficulty of access to guns by the law-abiding seems to be a major cause of crime. Not the only one, for sure, but a major contributor. I believe that a post above may have mentioned this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans