Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2019, 11:51 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,707,397 times

Advertisements

It must have been amazing in its heyday, but when I drove past it in the mid 1990s on trips from Hattiesburg to New Orleans, it was in decline.
https://www.nola.com/living/2017/01/...ns_341211.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 03:49 PM

9,126 posts, read 5,756,425 times
I remember it when it was nice. Even had a skating rink.
Used to like having a beer at the food court and watching the skaters.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:50 PM

3,011 posts, read 6,279,484 times
I remember it very fondly. My mom took me there for the first time in the mid-70s and I didn't want to leave especially after seeing the ice rink. I had family that lived nearby and when i visited, guess where I went, lol. it was a really nice clean family place. There were also nearby businesses that thrived off of the mall traffic as well. It was a place your parents could drop you off and you would be safe.

I grew up in both BR and NO and we would spend weekend in N.O. Yeah, we had Cortana in Baton Rouge which opened a year later in '75 (now also gone, rather empty) but it was pale in comparison to Lake Forest.

I know over the years the surrounding area deteriorated and yes, the mall and the community began going downhill in the 90s, esp along Read Rd, Downman Rd and other areas. Incidentally, we were in town for a family event the week before Katrina and my cousins wanted to go to a nightclub that was in the Plaza but I declined, hence what would have been my last ever visit there. As we know, Katrina wiped out what was left, sadly.

Looking at that link, I remember a lot of those stores, now all out of business.

Last edited by Gil3; 04-12-2019 at 03:02 PM..

Old 05-20-2019, 08:04 AM

306 posts, read 378,475 times
Back in the Eighties, I loved when my parents drove me over from Mississippi and I could shop all the latest fashions at Maison Blanche. I recall getting a nice denim Guess? jacket there for Christmas 1985.

Last time I stopped there was around 2002 to meet some friends at a Chinese restaurant across from it.

I know the area has rebuilt since Katrina, but I wouldn't stop there now unless I had to!

https://expo.nola.com/erry-2018/04/b...ntage_pho.html

Old 06-19-2019, 03:28 PM

194 posts, read 220,216 times
Is this the "Plaza?" I used to work there in high school and don't recall an ice rink.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:10 PM

500 posts, read 316,219 times
Wow. Thank you for that stroll down memory lane. My Mother was quite excited to see a picture of her long ago good friend with the Indians huge display.

We loved Farrells. The mall was a wonderland at Xmas time. It was a really nice place to visit and shop and it's a crying shame that the thugs took over and destroyed it like they have ruined so much of our unique city.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:21 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,707,397 times
Maybe the oil bust of the 1980s had something to do with the mall’s decline.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:47 AM

500 posts, read 316,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Maybe the oil bust of the 1980s had something to do with the mall’s decline.
Well of course you're right; that's has always been a perfectly good reason for thugs to have shoot-outs inside and mugging people outside in the parking lot.

You betcha!

Old 09-13-2019, 02:43 PM

61 posts, read 54,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I remember it when it was nice. Even had a skating rink.
Used to like having a beer at the food court and watching the skaters.
In the early Seventies, I'd been to Oakwood Mall on the West Bank (still the only thriving mall there), and to Lakeside a couple of times. But in '74 The Plaza seemed to me, a new SF reader, like Luna City in Heinlein or Clarke . . . that the mall we saw was the shopping district, and if you went through one of the big double doors you'd be in the residential area, and could find a place to rent a space suit and step out onto the lunar surface.

Malls generally have gotten boring for guys since those days. Ninety percent of the stores are now for women and children, or both. Dillard's still sells men's clothing, and now and then there's something of interest like a game room. But bookstores are gone, game and entertainment places like Spencer's are rare, an ice cream parlor like Farrell's is a misty memory. Food courts where herds of human buffalo graze, that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans