Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2019, 11:17 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,718,608 times

Advertisements

How is the Lower Garden District area for a family during Mardi Gras? I like to plan and book far in advance, a little too far in advance for a lot of AirBnB's and VRBO's Uptown apparently. I just don't want to have to worry about it as the date gets closer.

Anyways, looking at a hotel on Prytania between Terpsichore and Melpomene. How is this area? Getting a little closer to I-10 so not sure on its safety and family friendliness. What is that area on St Charles like for parades? Also about how long do the parades take to get up there? I will be traveling with my wife and twins who will be 6yo at the time. In 2017 we stayed off Magazine on Austerlitz for Mardi Gras and it was perfect. I'd prefer to stay farther Uptown partly to watch the parades earlier but am having trouble booking a place.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 09:12 AM

7 posts, read 5,057 times
That area is not as nice as further down St Charles. If you liked the area down by Austerlitz, this area closer to interstate is not going to compare.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:05 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,344,150 times
In general, the further Uptown, the more kid friendly it is. Once you get up to Napolean, it is noticeably different; much more relaxed, more space, and people are less territorial. A lot of the parades even start at Jefferson and the stretch from there down to Napolean is just as nice.

The LGD for the parades is more adult and a little grittier. Also, the majority of crime "incidents" have happened in this stretch.

I would try to find something further Uptown, especially with the young kids. St. Stephen, Drexel Prep, and Sophie B Wright all sell food and bathroom passes if you need it.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
In general, the further Uptown, the more kid friendly it is. Once you get up to Napolean, it is noticeably different; much more relaxed, more space, and people are less territorial. A lot of the parades even start at Jefferson and the stretch from there down to Napolean is just as nice.

The LGD for the parades is more adult and a little grittier. Also, the majority of crime "incidents" have happened in this stretch.

I would try to find something further Uptown, especially with the young kids. St. Stephen, Drexel Prep, and Sophie B Wright all sell food and bathroom passes if you need it.
I got that impression too. Originally I had booked a place at the Avenue Plaza Resort (it got cancelled though) and got worried because I just read about a shooting on that block in 2018 on MG Day. Then I guess in 2009 seven people got shot near the same spot. So was definitely had my hesitations about that area.

Anyways I was luckily able to book and confirm a place Uptown in the Milan neighborhood. On Milan off of Feret St. Seems like a decent enough area and close to some shops on other side of Napolean. Should I have any concerns about that area?

Thank you for the tips on the bathroom passes, probably try to set up near those spots.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:41 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,344,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Anyways I was luckily able to book and confirm a place Uptown in the Milan neighborhood. On Milan off of Feret St. Seems like a decent enough area and close to some shops on other side of Napolean. Should I have any concerns about that area?
Safety wise(statistically), it's not horrible, but I would still exercise some basic urban caution. Walking around alone at 1am staring down at your smartphone is probably not a good idea.

As you move away from the river, it starts to go downhill once you hit Freret St.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:49 PM

Update: I was able find and confirm a different Airbnb one block off St Charles; Carondelet and Louisiana. Very excited to be so close to the parade route this time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans