Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these would you include as New Orleans?
Metairie 12 92.31%
Kenner 10 76.92%
Slidell 8 61.54%
Covington/Mandeville 6 46.15%
Hammond/Ponchatoula 4 30.77%
LaPlace 5 38.46%
Westbank 10 76.92%
None of the above 2 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 12:01 AM

10,111 posts, read 15,773,436 times

Advertisements

I know there's the official Census Bureau definition of the New Orleans metro area and the combined metro area but I've noticed that perhaps more so than in any other area, people from the city of New Orleans itself don't really accept a lot of outlying communities as New Orleans. I've met MANY people from the area who don't even consider Metairie and Kenner to be "New Orleans" despite being immediate suburbs. Even more people don't include Covington or Slidell even though St. Tammany Parish is officially part of Greater NO and are heavily populated by people who were originally from the city and the inner suburbs. In Baton Rouge, areas outside the city limits like Zachary and Central and Denham Springs are still considered part of the Baton Rouge area. Maybe its due to NO's unique culture?

So census definitions aside, what would y'all include in the New Orleans area?

I grew up in Metairie but lived a lot of my life out of state and now stay in Denham Springs. I do consider the Northshore to be part of "New Orleans" due to the migration patterns, commuters and cultural influences and Slidell also. I also think there is a clear New Orleans influence even in Hammond and Ponchatoula compared to Baton Rouge or places like Ascension Parish. The Census does have a New Orleans-Metairie-Hammond combined statistical area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 12:05 AM

10,111 posts, read 15,773,436 times
Also left out Washington Parish and St. James Parish, which often market themselves as part of Greater New Orleans.

St. James does have a very clear Creole influenced culture compared to the rest of Louisiana. I do think its more Creole than Cajun or regular Southern.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:40 PM

6,556 posts, read 4,168,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I know there's the official Census Bureau definition of the New Orleans metro area and the combined metro area but I've noticed that perhaps more so than in any other area, people from the city of New Orleans itself don't really accept a lot of outlying communities as New Orleans. I've met MANY people from the area who don't even consider Metairie and Kenner to be "New Orleans" despite being immediate suburbs. Even more people don't include Covington or Slidell even though St. Tammany Parish is officially part of Greater NO and are heavily populated by people who were originally from the city and the inner suburbs. In Baton Rouge, areas outside the city limits like Zachary and Central and Denham Springs are still considered part of the Baton Rouge area. Maybe its due to NO's unique culture?

So census definitions aside, what would y'all include in the New Orleans area?

I grew up in Metairie but lived a lot of my life out of state and now stay in Denham Springs. I do consider the Northshore to be part of "New Orleans" due to the migration patterns, commuters and cultural influences and Slidell also. I also think there is a clear New Orleans influence even in Hammond and Ponchatoula compared to Baton Rouge or places like Ascension Parish. The Census does have a New Orleans-Metairie-Hammond combined statistical area.
Agree. The Hammond/Ponchatoula area definitely identifies more with New Orleans than Baton Rouge.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:14 AM

4,357 posts, read 4,190,870 times
I'd say all of the above.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:45 PM

326 posts, read 595,976 times
Northshore, Southshore, Westbank.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:09 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,089,407 times
What are you asking? New Orleans is New Orleans. Kenner is Kenner. New Orleans MSA and New Orleans aren't synonymous. You're from the New Orleans area if you're from Metairie but you're not from New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans