Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 10:48 AM

712 posts, read 1,092,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
When Miami was the "drug capital" in the 1980's (Miami Vice era) they had sky high murder rates and tourists would routinely get targeted because back then rental cars were marked. The first thing rental car companies did was not to mark the rental cars. The second thing they did was to tell the tourists general areas to avoid.

New Orleans should basically give a map to tourists and mark an X for New Orleans East saying "Don't go there." That would solve a lot of problems right there.
Right, because all of New Orleans East is dangerous. I'm sure everyone is so fearful for their life when they venture out to the Audubon Nature Center, Joe Brown Park, Eastover, Southern Oaks Plantation, Bayou Sauvage Trail, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 02:30 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,984,406 times
Stopping this sort of thing would help: https://www.nola.com/crime/2019/05/j...ds-guilty.html

That kid will be back out on the street, killing/stealing/beating again after serving less than a year. Wow.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:37 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,984,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathrights View Post
Should we begin tallying the tourists killed in New Orleans or is it just too soon to admit there is a problem?

https://www.nola.com/crime/2019/05/m...e-tourist.html

RIP Poul Hansen
An old preacher friend of mine once said, when I was afraid to go on a foreign mission trip due to 'safety': "Well, if you listen to the news regarding the U.S., you'd think we were the most violent nation on earth". I'm starting to think, maybe we are?

I wonder how many of these shooting deaths happen where the perpetrator is a legal gun owner? I would say less than 1%. So guns laws are not the answer.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:21 PM

370 posts, read 446,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
An old preacher friend of mine once said, when I was afraid to go on a foreign mission trip due to 'safety': "Well, if you listen to the news regarding the U.S., you'd think we were the most violent nation on earth". I'm starting to think, maybe we are?

I wonder how many of these shooting deaths happen where the perpetrator is a legal gun owner? I would say less than 1%. So guns laws are not the answer.

Correct, however in this case the victim was from another country and not legally allowed to carry a firearm. Additionally, the victim was in the act of violating the law through prostitution. Open yourself up to criminal activity and street justice is often swiftly served.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:05 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
Quote:
Correct, however in this case the victim was from another country and not legally allowed to carry a firearm. Additionally, the victim was in the act of violating the law through prostitution. Open yourself up to criminal activity and street justice is often swiftly served.
How did you know the victim was soliciting for a prostitute? Source please?

Old 05-31-2019, 06:54 PM

500 posts, read 318,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
Right, because all of New Orleans East is dangerous. I'm sure everyone is so fearful for their life when they venture out to the Audubon Nature Center, Joe Brown Park, Eastover, Southern Oaks Plantation, Bayou Sauvage Trail, etc...
Yeah, you scoff all you like, but most of us keep a loaded .38 (or similar), on our laps while driving east on the I10.

Far too many Europeans seem to believe that they are immune to black violence because they are "not American". Big shock for them when they find that the thugs don't know or care.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:48 PM

370 posts, read 446,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
How did you know the victim was soliciting for a prostitute? Source please?

Do you even Google bro?

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...f2612946a.html

Old 06-03-2019, 02:00 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,517,580 times
We used Uber when we recently were in New Orleans but also weren’t hanging out with prostitutes.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:56 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Stopping this sort of thing would help: https://www.nola.com/crime/2019/05/j...ds-guilty.html

That kid will be back out on the street, killing/stealing/beating again after serving less than a year. Wow.
That is unbelievable! I can see having some degree of leniency for some property only crimes where an assessment is made to the potential rehabilitation of a perp per his past behavior but for anything that sniffs of violence: assault, strong arm robbery, car jacking, rape or murder there should be a punishment that fits the crime.

The justice system completely failed here and the likelihood of future violent offenses from this kid is almost guaranteed.

I’ve heard New Orleans being described from my very urban savvy friends as the city where they have felt the most vulnerable to crime and of being palpably in fear in some areas even as they praise many aspects of what has to be a wonderful, unique city. I’ve never been but my SO has a couple of times and while he enjoyed it he also concurs with that assessment. That there are definitely several no-go zones that come up on you by just turning a corner and felt a bit vulnerable and especially aware of his surroundings in most areas.

We’ve traveled recently to Philly and and Baltimore and loved both of those cities and never for a moment felt as if we were ever in danger - going to Chicago next week and haven’t given a thought as to it being a place to be anything more than just aware of our surroundings.

It is a sad state of affairs when not only is the crime excessively high there, it is known to be so for potential visitors but to have its justice system so effectively fail the victims of crime there just kind of seals its fate.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:10 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
Quote:
Should we begin tallying the tourists killed in New Orleans or is it just too soon to admit there is a problem?

https://www.nola.com/crime/2019/05/m...e-tourist.html

RIP Poul Hansen
I am not blaming the victim however the "biker gang" mindset might have played a part in his demise.

He is wearing a "biker vest" in the photo. No, it doesn't make him "tough" or "street smart" (particularly in America considering he was from another country). Perhaps his imagination led him to believe he could associate with the criminal element in New Orleans? Maybe he held the belief he was "one of them" because he was a motorcycle rider?

All it takes is a little bit of money to buy a bike and a biker vest. Maybe it made him a little bit "salty" in his mind. Perhaps he wasn't prepared for american criminals since his only experience was in his own country.

As an American citizen I would never go to New Orleans PERIOD. If I did I would never interact with the locals other than those working in the service industry. I would not stray far from the safe areas either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: