Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 08:29 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,452,665 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is considering a move to the city of New Orleans proper. I may or may not tag along. Depends on job situation. However, I wanted to get some "real" answers from real residents(current and former) about whether we would have a problem as a mixed race(Black/White) couple. Are there areas that we should avoid for renting and/or just being out and about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 10:30 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,120,484 times
I'm not a resident, but have spent a lot of time in the city, and I wouldn't think there are any parts of it where you should worry about being a mixed race couple at all.

But hopefully some actual residents will post about it, also, and give you their perspectives as well.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:31 AM

258 posts, read 1,017,338 times
last I checked they could care less.

Bigger fish to fry.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:15 PM

420 posts, read 473,329 times
Thats a very funny question, you wont hardly ever have a problem with that down in New Orleans, mixed couples is the last thing you should worry about. Im sure people will chip in on answering this, but as far as the mixed couple thing, forget about it, you're so ok!!!!!

Old 04-19-2008, 09:25 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,018,136 times
The whole city is made of mixed people >Creoles/Sicilians/Irish, etc

Old 04-24-2008, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 19,170 times
You won't really have a problem being a mixed couple...at least from our (white) end...I don't know how others would respond, but I would imagine the ones that would give you crap are the ones you won't be associating with anyways....

As far as areas to avoid - the bad and good areas aren't divided by neighborhoods, but rather by streets, so it's almost impossible to tell you which areas are bad - they can all be bad!! You can walk one block away from a multi-million dollar home and literally be in the ghetto. No joke. It just takes some experience.

I found this website citizencrimewatch.org (or something like that) that maps out crimes in different areas. Kind of a handy little tool.

That being said, crime can happen to anyone. I've been lucky, I've lived here for 10 years and only had my car broken into once. And I work a lot of late nights. I just try to always be aware and careful. That's the same for everywhere though, I guess.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:06 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,262,797 times
I don't think there's a native New Orleanian out there who doesn't have a mixed-race union somewhere in their family tree.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 6,413 times
Smile Hello and Welcome!

I'm black and have lived in NOLA my whole life....by choice.

I don't think you'll have any problems living here, depending on which neighborhood you eventually live in. Most of the older (and richer) and the older (and poorer) neighborhoods may not accept you, but try Carrollton above Tulane U. or near the cemetary on the upper end of Canal Street.

I live in NO East, which some may say, because it's primarily black, is not a good place to live. I very much disagree. There are several middle and upper class enclaves in the east (Gentilly, Kennilworth, Academy Park, etc.) that are very stable and have very little crime. And the houses are older (build in 1950-70's) but are by no means bad ("old" in NOLA means "bigger rooms"!!)

As for schools, I'd stick to the private/catholic schools. Public schools are crap down here. Besides, the catholics always see it as an opportunity to convert some "wayward soul" :-)

Old 05-24-2008, 12:02 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,120,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAetchgirl View Post
Most of the older (and richer) and the older (and poorer) neighborhoods may not accept you, ...
Really? Those neighborhoods aren't open to mixed-race couples? I didn't think that was a problem anywhere in the city.

Quote:
As for schools, I'd stick to the private/catholic schools. Public schools are crap down here.
I've heard that Lusher and Newman are pretty good schools.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:26 PM

135 posts, read 410,930 times
i lived there for four years and my co-worker was a white girl who was secretly dating a black guy. they had problems because of it i guess. i'm caucasian, i know while i was there i witnessed more racism then i have ever before or since...esp. with the older folks. seems to be so deep rooted i don't think it's going anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans