Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2019, 08:03 PM

4 posts, read 8,154 times

Advertisements

Looking for helpful thoughts and ideas on security deposit issue for rental house. Typical scenario: landlord is very nice, good relationship during lease period (we leased house for 4 yrs.) At move out they turn into the Gestapo. Lots of unreasonable charges on our deposit but the one I have a question about is my usage of a Weber BBQ pit under a covered patio on the side of the house. When I moved in, I told the landlord I had a BBQ pit and wondered where to put it. She actually suggested I put it on (under) the patio. Nothing in the lease prohibiting use of the pit under the patio. I did not realize that over the 4 years the smoke from the pit left black soot on the ceiling of the patio (the ceiling is actually 4 pieces of what appears to be 1/2 thick plywood.) I really have no explanation for not ever noticing this "smoke damage," but, I didn't. Anyway, the landlord not only wants my $2,300 deposit, but an additional $1,400 to paint over the soot (and for other charges). The only thing I can find online is an article discussing use of grills on patios and actually seems to have some helpful language (talking about leases not prohibiting usage of pits under patios; talking about the landlord not requiring the tenant to remove the pit.) Of course the landlord's position is that I should have seen the smoke damage, and, I'm responsible for the paint cost. This is in Louisiana. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Tiger Jeff; 07-02-2019 at 08:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 12:19 PM

23,788 posts, read 19,634,791 times
But your use did cause the damage. Have you offered to paint the ceiling yourself with her choice of color? That way she wouldn't have justification for charging you anything extra and it shouldn't cost you what she's claiming. She's going to hire someone to do it and pass that cost on to you. As for withholding your deposit, we don't know what her other reasons are. Check with the state/city for a LL/tenant affairs office. The link below might give you a starting place. If you make the repair in good faith and she still tries to hold your deposit you'd have a better case for pursuing it in small claims court.

http://www.ldh.la.gov/assets/oph/Cen...dTenantLaw.pdf

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-04-2019 at 12:43 PM..

Old 07-14-2019, 10:06 AM

16 posts, read 13,806 times
In short, you are liable. Period. Full Stop.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:17 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,686,662 times
You rented a house and put the grill on a patio with a roof over it? Didn't you have a back yard? I'd never put any kind of grill somewhere that had a roof over it. Gas, charcoal, electric, none of them

Old 07-20-2019, 11:08 AM

16,523 posts, read 26,521,771 times
Just paint it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans