U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-03-2020, 01:53 AM
 
Location: NYC
3 posts, read 2,413 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I grew up in Ascension Parish and have been away from Louisiana since Katrina. I lived in Dallas for over 6 years after college and currently Manhattan (for 5 years now). I’m exhausted from the NYC lifestyle and am ready to move back to Louisiana (preferably New Orleans...my family is still in Ascension Parish).

I’m in my early 30s, AA female, single (how’s the dating scene lol), and a CPA. I have the option to transfer to our NOLA office or I may plan to apply to one of the local CPA firms. I visit the city about 3 times a year (for Saints games and Jazz fest). I prefer a safe area where I can get at least 2 beds/2 baths for $2,000 - $3,000 a month renting (plan to rent for a year). I like to go out for drinks and obviously to eat.

I saw this 5 bed/4 bath home at 1062 Brooklyn Avenue in Algiers for rent but seems too good to be true. I plan to purchase a car, but a walkable neighborhood would be a plus.

Thanks y’all!

Last edited by movingback823; 01-03-2020 at 02:00 AM.. Reason: thread cut off
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2020, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Atlanta Metro Area (OTP North)
1,900 posts, read 2,841,322 times
Reputation: 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingback823 View Post
Hi everyone,

I grew up in Ascension Parish and have been away from Louisiana since Katrina. I lived in Dallas for over 6 years after college and currently Manhattan (for 5 years now). I’m exhausted from the NYC lifestyle and am ready to move back to Louisiana (preferably New Orleans...my family is still in Ascension Parish).

I’m in my early 30s, AA female, single (how’s the dating scene lol), and a CPA. I have the option to transfer to our NOLA office or I may plan to apply to one of the local CPA firms. I visit the city about 3 times a year (for Saints games and Jazz fest). I prefer a safe area where I can get at least 2 beds/2 baths for $2,000 - $3,000 a month renting (plan to rent for a year). I like to go out for drinks and obviously to eat.

I saw this 5 bed/4 bath home at 1062 Brooklyn Avenue in Algiers for rent but seems too good to be true. I plan to purchase a car, but a walkable neighborhood would be a plus.

Thanks y’all!

That home appears to be for sale, not rent. Please make sure you meet with the homeowner prior to giving anyone any money...its routine practice for scammers to take real listings and make fake ones on Craigslist.

Here's the house: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...3823216_zpid/? ...looks like the scammers just switched the address around up a bit

As for your general question - I think you will find New Orleans is very different in some ways and very much the same in others.

Gentrification has uplifted certain areas like Mid-City and the Bywater - bringing new housing and new amenities(restaurants, Whole Foods, etc). On the same token though, crime, while at a historic low for New Orleans, is still high relative to surrounding areas. The city's infrastructure is also still takin a beating with crater-size potholes all over Orleans parish both on the East and Westbank(Algiers), and rainfall flooding the city constantly...the water pumps can hardly ever keep up.

The local economy is still one of the worst in the country, with abysmal wages...the main reason we left in 2016. Though if you're relocating with the same company you should retain your current compensation.

Its also worth noting the buildings back home that have been collapsing as of late. First the Hard Rock, then just last week a building in the Quarter starting falling apart...literally (https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/l...d-b61f36aad008)

A few years ago, I vehemently defended against any negative comment about New Orleans...a city that I love and call home. These days I'm a bit more objective and at this point cannot recommend a long-term move there on the basis of poor crime rate, poor public schools, poor infrastructure and poor economy.

I hope this helps. Take care
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2020, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Metairie, LA
1,097 posts, read 2,189,168 times
Reputation: 1477
It sounds like you would want to be in the city proper.

With that budget, you can get a 2BR pretty much anywhere you want.

Where would your office be? Uptown, Mid-City, Freret, LGD, Bywater are all walkable with lots of nightlife and a short commute to the CBD.

Algiers Point is cheaper than the comparable areas on the Eastbank, but the only way that makes sense IMO, is if you can walk to the ferry everyday, or work from home. Driving across the bridge can be a major hassle every day of the week.

Street flooding can be a concern in certain problem areas. Just keep that in mind if you have a vehicle and your place doesn't have off-street parking.

See: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...l#post22463381
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2020, 05:29 PM
 
Location: NYC
3 posts, read 2,413 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
That home appears to be for sale, not rent. Please make sure you meet with the homeowner prior to giving anyone any money...its routine practice for scammers to take real listings and make fake ones on Craigslist.

Here's the house: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...3823216_zpid/? ...looks like the scammers just switched the address around up a bit

As for your general question - I think you will find New Orleans is very different in some ways and very much the same in others.

Gentrification has uplifted certain areas like Mid-City and the Bywater - bringing new housing and new amenities(restaurants, Whole Foods, etc). On the same token though, crime, while at a historic low for New Orleans, is still high relative to surrounding areas. The city's infrastructure is also still takin a beating with crater-size potholes all over Orleans parish both on the East and Westbank(Algiers), and rainfall flooding the city constantly...the water pumps can hardly ever keep up.

The local economy is still one of the worst in the country, with abysmal wages...the main reason we left in 2016. Though if you're relocating with the same company you should retain your current compensation.

Its also worth noting the buildings back home that have been collapsing as of late. First the Hard Rock, then just last week a building in the Quarter starting falling apart...literally (https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/l...d-b61f36aad008)

A few years ago, I vehemently defended against any negative comment about New Orleans...a city that I love and call home. These days I'm a bit more objective and at this point cannot recommend a long-term move there on the basis of poor crime rate, poor public schools, poor infrastructure and poor economy.

I hope this helps. Take care
Thank you so much! It probably is a scam since I have’t heard back from the “contact” about the listing.

I remember how terrible it was to walk to class in the rain at UNO during my freshman year (that’s the only year I lived in New Orleans before leaving Louisiana all together after Katrina). Also, my parents’ cars would be damaged so much from the roads. A shame the potholes or water pumps haven’t gotten any better.

I have been living in Harlem, so seems to be similar...gentrification everywhere but still certain blocks to stay away from. Crime occurs but NYPD is pretty responsive...I’ve heard NOPD is not. Which is concerning since I’ll be living alone.

I saw the Hard Rock (or what was left of it) last month when I was there, but I didn’t realize buildings have been collapsing in other areas. I’m not sure if I’ll stay after a year (who knows I may end up missing NYC). We also have a Baton Rouge office but crime there isn’t much better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2020, 05:37 PM
 
Location: NYC
3 posts, read 2,413 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
It sounds like you would want to be in the city proper.

With that budget, you can get a 2BR pretty much anywhere you want.

Where would your office be? Uptown, Mid-City, Freret, LGD, Bywater are all walkable with lots of nightlife and a short commute to the CBD.

Algiers Point is cheaper than the comparable areas on the Eastbank, but the only way that makes sense IMO, is if you can walk to the ferry everyday, or work from home. Driving across the bridge can be a major hassle every day of the week.

Street flooding can be a concern in certain problem areas. Just keep that in mind if you have a vehicle and your place doesn't have off-street parking.

See: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...l#post22463381
Thank you! The link to the post was helpful. Our office is in the CBD on Poydras, so I’ll scratch Algiers Point off my list. I’ll look into the areas you mentioned. I’ve gotten so used to walking around NYC, I’m glad there are similar options to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2020, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Atlanta Metro Area (OTP North)
1,900 posts, read 2,841,322 times
Reputation: 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingback823 View Post
Thank you so much! It probably is a scam since I have’t heard back from the “contact” about the listing.

I remember how terrible it was to walk to class in the rain at UNO during my freshman year (that’s the only year I lived in New Orleans before leaving Louisiana all together after Katrina). Also, my parents’ cars would be damaged so much from the roads. A shame the potholes or water pumps haven’t gotten any better.

I have been living in Harlem, so seems to be similar...gentrification everywhere but still certain blocks to stay away from. Crime occurs but NYPD is pretty responsive...I’ve heard NOPD is not. Which is concerning since I’ll be living alone.

I saw the Hard Rock (or what was left of it) last month when I was there, but I didn’t realize buildings have been collapsing in other areas. I’m not sure if I’ll stay after a year (who knows I may end up missing NYC). We also have a Baton Rouge office but crime there isn’t much better.

Baton Rouge crime is slightly better but, as you mentioned, not by much. Plus commuting to Baton Rouge everyday from New Orleans is a huge pain...unless of course you chose to move to Baton Rouge, but then you'd have to actually live in Baton Rouge

I can confirm that NOPD is ridiculously negligent. Just yesterday a friend of mine who lives in Uptown was having an altercation with her brother. He threatened to beat her up and started throwing things at her front door from the outside, so she called 911. It took NOPD 3 hours to get to her house.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2020, 07:56 AM
 
863 posts, read 484,630 times
Reputation: 656
I have not heard anything positive about NOPD either. There is a lot of crime in the city. Do not go out at night alone if you do not have to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top