U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2020, 06:22 PM

39 posts, read 31,223 times

Advertisements

Like many people I'm furloughed (I work for an airline in their parts department) and I just found out late last week that my furlough is probably going to go on until at least the end of July, possibly into early August. Before that I was thinking I would go back end of June.

Due to that I am thinking about pushing up a previously planned New Orleans trip from early August to late June/early July for a weekend trip. 2 or 3 nights. My flight is free so it gives me flexibility plus by moving it up while I'm on furlough I can save that previous vacation time for later. Two questions though:

1) What's the reopening situation in New Orleans? I know most restaurants have at least partially reopened. What about the bars? Have they started to reopen? I'm a Saints fan so I go to at least one home game a year and I probably visit the city 2 - 3 times a year so I'm not worried about getting in a bunch of tourist stuff. I might go to the World War II museum since I haven't been there in awhile. I know live music and all festivals are essentially canceled through fall, is there any live music being played on Frenchmen Street or even just buskers playing in the Quarter?

2) What's the social unrest situation in New Orleans? This is actually my biggest concern. I was all set on coming in late June but then the violent protests/riots started happening I stopped any planning. From what I've gathered New Orleans and most cities in the south outside of Atlanta have actually had very few issues with violent protests. It seems like most of the violent protests are occurring in Northeast and West Coast cities. Obviously I'll keep checking on it but from what you're seeing do you think New Orleans is safe to visit right now? Is the social unrest winding down like it is in other cities? I think what happened to George Floyd was horrible and that the cop needs to be convicted and put in jail the rest of his life so I support peaceful protests. I just don't support violent protests, rioting, looting and destruction and don't want to be in the middle of that.

Thank you for any help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 05:10 PM

11,762 posts, read 10,559,185 times
There are some protests in Jackson Square but they aren't that big compared to other cities.
https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/l...2-f91707f5e003

New Orleans is quite sleepy right now at a fraction of its former glory.

Visit if you want the city virtually to yourself.

Old 06-11-2020, 12:25 PM

Good info. I'm thinking about coming there in about two weeks for 2 nights. Found good deals on two Hilton properties in the area. The Hilton New Orleans Riverside ($89 plus tax) and the Hampton Inn New Orleans CBD/French Quarter ($94 plus tax). The Hilton is obviously the more prestigious brand and more convenient to the lower parts of the French Quarter including Jackson Square. Also right near Harrah's. The Hampton Inn would include breakfast and would be more convenient to upper parts of the French Quarter including Bourbon Street. I know a lot of the Bourbon Street bars are shut down right now but I do love going to both Pat O'Briens and Acme Oyster House.

Between those two hotels which one would you recommend?

Old 06-11-2020, 04:17 PM

214 posts, read 66,857 times
Are you used to heat AND humidity? Imagine Florida, plus humidity.

Old 06-12-2020, 06:16 AM

I live in the middle of Florida, near Orlando, so yes I'm very much used to heat and humidity. I have been to New Orleans in August before and lived in Bay St. Louis for 2 years so yes I think I know what to expect, lol.

Old Today, 08:57 AM

462 posts, read 231,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83austin83 View Post
I live in the middle of Florida, near Orlando, so yes I'm very much used to heat and humidity. I have been to New Orleans in August before and lived in Bay St. Louis for 2 years so yes I think I know what to expect, lol.
It's nicer in the fall and winter. That would be my suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or