Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 09:38 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhound View Post
I certainly have and it's a problem. Most of the houses are being torn and replaced with nice houses. The Black community is certainly there, thugs and all.
Which neighborhoods or areas? You think poor folk are just investing $200k in their house?
Quote:
Not hardly "gentrification" at all. Matter of fact, New Orleans improving, but still dangerous because they keep the criminal population but replace the housing.
Do you suggest that we put poor people in concentration camps or just straight up death camps?
And who is replacing this housing in poor neighborhoods? The criminals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 09:03 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,218 times
Quote:
As long as urban ethnic groups believe in paranoia, they'll never have any real progress. I lived New Orleans and been to Atlanta and can say that "gentrification" is just another urban legend that certain urban culture want to blame cities for wanting to remove blight.

Many of the upper scale communities aren't removing any population other than the crime prone neighborhoods. These are being expanded by people of the same race but higher social class. In areas such as Orleans and other streets in New Orleans I've first-hand seen communities occupied by the same race but better housing.

Atlanta is no different. It is the center of entertainment. It is either progress or get left.
Im from New Orleans, and lived for a while in ATL. I say you are completely wrong. Gentrification in ATL is absolutely rampant. The Beltlin being the driver. Theres no paranoia about it and its intellectually dishonest to say as such. You are now discussiing Urban "revitalization" with someone who actually lived and still owns property in a Downtown ATL neighborhood. So I will dispell your POV in detail. Urban myth as it pertains to cities removing blight: False. The trend of white repatriation from the suburbs and exurbs coupled with the city's thirst for tax revenues is not an Urban myth. The city blatanly disregarded the intown neighborhoods being gentrified (West End, Westview, Ashview Heights, Vine City, Pittsburgh, Mechanicsville, Washington Park, even now the infamous Bankhead, etc.). This walking trail which provides no economic value to these marginalized neighborhoods is the catalyst. I onw and renovated/flipped houses in the neighborhood of Pittsburgh and lived in that neighborhood as well. You can revitalize without gentrifying. Myself and others have proved the point. The city and business communities do not count upwardly mobile black bodies as gentrification. We look like we belong there, therefore we are invisible.

Who said upper scale neighborhoods were removing people? If we are talking upper class intown neighborhoods, they were already gentrified. Ill name a few for you again:Grant Park, Kirkwood, Cabbagetown, O4W, Reynaldstown......no one is being priced out there because the pricing is already a premium. However, I know some people in Grant Park. A spike in assessed property value, leading to an increase by Arthur Ferdinand for your tax bill could possibly cause some middle class people to be priced out, to be fair and balanced but those same homeowners will have the ability to sell at a premium price and buy in a very close proximity neighborhood.

Now to New Orleans. Drive up and down Clairborn between St. Bernars and Orleans you see people who would never have been there prior to Katrina. St. Roch is another example. Its not being populated by black people. Orleans across Braod going towards Bayou St. John is a different story.

When speaking about the issue of gentrification, we all must be intellectually honest @ Deerhound. Gentrification in its modern and most perpetuated form absolutely removes black people and/or lower income individuals from their inner city neighborhoods that HAVE ALWAYS been logistally desireable. Businesses, we are also culpable in driving it. Because big business does not want to invest in inner city neighborhoods. We need to acknowledge that the Business community doesnt even value middle class dollars the same. Using ATL again as an example, Camp Creek is a middle class overwhelmingly black area, and retail development is subpar at best. As opposed to an area like Kirkwood, where retailers like Target and Kroger, Chik Fil-A etc. all invested and the median income has to be on par with what it is in Camp Creek as the price of housing is about the same.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:37 AM

53 posts, read 49,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
So basically no way to back up your claims. Nice.
The proof is all AROUND New Orleans. Much of the hood areas are being torn down and rebuilt with much better housing. The housing units even have thugs in them though they are MUCH better. This hadn't happened in Gert Town when I lived there in New Orleans but it was all AROUND.

The people complaining are simply those who can't move forward in life. Believing in delusions such as "gentrification"
because a clean environment is like kryptonite to inner-city
thugs. How New Orleans is improving is questionable because they are NOT using gentrification. I see the same crime prone thugs instead communities of Asians and Whites.

Los Angeles is GENTRIFYING in the true sense! They are actually trying to push out those damn Mexicans which is why they are flocking to San Bernardino in the Inland Empire. Areas are being rebuilt and Orientals are moving in HIGH PRICED condominiums, especially downtown Los Angeles. The Mexicans are made that Koreans, Japanese and Chinese are pushing them out of Los Angeles.

Even a bus driver expressed dismay at his family leaving L.A. because the welcomed Orientals are taking population dominance.

The Mexican population is the group targeted by gentrification more than any other, by immigration rules more than any other, by racism too. In your situation you're taking the inability to progress and blaming it on the boogyman. This boogyman your instance would "gentrification." New Orleans isn't hardly White even after Hurricane Katrina. It's improved a bit. The crime isn't as bad which you SHOULD appreciate.

Old 01-27-2021, 01:27 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,852 times
Rising sea level and increasing frequency and severity of hurricanes make investment there less of a risk and more of a guaranteed loss. The seaport and party town roles will probably move upriver as more of Louisiana becomes a bay, gulf, sea, etc.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:16 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,218 times
Quote:

The Mexican population is the group targeted by gentrification more than any other, by immigration rules more than any other, by racism too. In your situation you're taking the inability to progress and blaming it on the boogyman. This boogyman your instance would "gentrification." New Orleans isn't hardly White even after Hurricane Katrina. It's improved a bit. The crime isn't as bad which you SHOULD appreciate.
Lets unpack you statement about the "inability to progress and blaming the boogeyman" for it. This is easily dispelled.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:29 AM

Location: New Orleans ⏩ Houston ⏩ Seattle ⏩ New Orleans ⏩ Houston ⏹
58 posts, read 43,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Rising sea level and increasing frequency and severity of hurricanes make investment there less of a risk and more of a guaranteed loss. The seaport and party town roles will probably move upriver as more of Louisiana becomes a bay, gulf, sea, etc.
Which brings us to another major issue. The city vs everyone else. This mentality has also held the area back for decades. New Orleans alone cannot support the entire region. New Orleans also has a limited amount of land that isn’t severely affected by regular storms, but the surrounding areas do. However, instead of working together to bring industries and jobs to the region, the city and the towns and suburbs around it compete with each other, never acknowledging that they are a much stronger sell as a whole. New Orleans has the popularity draw but the north shore and river parishes have the land available for actual growth. If one succeeds, they all do. At least the money stays in SE LA as opposed to Houston or Atlanta.

As another poster said, there’s no vision anymore. And without a vision for the future, a place stays stagnant. Which I actually think some people want. For NOLA to be frozen in time. Yet they complain about a lack of local jobs and money. They want the prosperity without actual growth. Doesn’t work that way.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:18 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datfiyah View Post
Which brings us to another major issue. The city vs everyone else. This mentality has also held the area back for decades. New Orleans alone cannot support the entire region. New Orleans also has a limited amount of land that isn’t severely affected by regular storms, but the surrounding areas do. However, instead of working together to bring industries and jobs to the region, the city and the towns and suburbs around it compete with each other, never acknowledging that they are a much stronger sell as a whole. New Orleans has the popularity draw but the north shore and river parishes have the land available for actual growth. If one succeeds, they all do. At least the money stays in SE LA as opposed to Houston or Atlanta.

As another poster said, there’s no vision anymore. And without a vision for the future, a place stays stagnant. Which I actually think some people want. For NOLA to be frozen in time. Yet they complain about a lack of local jobs and money. They want the prosperity without actual growth. Doesn’t work that way.
There’s no question that many people in LA and NOLA are just fine with the way it is ( family, great food, fishing/boating, culture, history). I think we can put this thread to bed..

Old 02-07-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datfiyah View Post

I had a long talk with my best friend about this exactly and he loved the idea of more opportunities coming but balked at the idea of anything actually changing. He hates his job (plant work) but defends it to the death at the same time. It's incomprehensible to grasp that ideology.

Old 02-07-2021, 11:28 AM

58 posts, read 57,069 times
From a nearly life-long Louisianan, people just seem to be complacent with the status-quo here. I am 21 and have lived in Louisiana for a while. My family moved to Houston in 2012. Parents divorced, so I went back with my father to Louisiana in 2018 - here in Baton Rouge. I missed Louisiana during my duration away, but as soon as I got back I was filled with regret. Now I am attending community college online and am looking to leave this place. There is nothing here, no future, no economic progress...

Houston was nice, lots of suburbs - almost too many. A lot of development and shops as well, I would find more at stores and have a variety of shopping options to choose from compared to here in Baton Rouge. The only electronics shops I really have a choice of are the big box stores, mainly Best Buy; as Target and Walmart do not have too much to choose from in-store. I am unemployed at the moment, but am trying to work on building an online business selling electronics and t-shirts. I have considered going back to Texas by my mother for a while and eventually settling in El Paso, but I don't even want to go back to Texas. Things were definitely different when I visited last Thanksgiving.

I am considering a northern state such as Minnesota and Michigan. New Mexico would be nice, but there does not seem to be much to choose from in terms of IT jobs & careers. California seems nice, but I am worried it is out of my price range coming from a state with such a low QOL/COL like Louisiana. I find Louisiana (like the "other Louisiana": Illinois) to be corrupt from all levels state, local, parish, etc.. With a culture of corruption, progress is held back for personal gain and enrichment. I often joke that the only way to make it here in Louisiana is to a) be white, b) work a blue collar type of job/career c) become a personal/auto injury lawyer (they are pervasive here) d) have some connections (nepotism, VERY big here)

Sometimes I have no hope, I am trying my hardest with the networking program in community college. I need to pass this and I need to get out of Louisiana (and eventually out of the country), there just is no future here for young people like myself. Also, excuse the lack of focus on the topic/subject at hand - I tend to bounce around in my writing.

Old 02-07-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepermanentnomad View Post
From a nearly life-long Louisianan, people just seem to be complacent with the status-quo here. I am 21 and have lived in Louisiana for a while. My family moved to Houston in 2012. Parents divorced, so I went back with my father to Louisiana in 2018 - here in Baton Rouge. I missed Louisiana during my duration away, but as soon as I got back I was filled with regret. Now I am attending community college online and am looking to leave this place. There is nothing here, no future, no economic progress...

Houston was nice, lots of suburbs - almost too many. A lot of development and shops as well, I would find more at stores and have a variety of shopping options to choose from compared to here in Baton Rouge. The only electronics shops I really have a choice of are the big box stores, mainly Best Buy; as Target and Walmart do not have too much to choose from in-store. I am unemployed at the moment, but am trying to work on building an online business selling electronics and t-shirts. I have considered going back to Texas by my mother for a while and eventually settling in El Paso, but I don't even want to go back to Texas. Things were definitely different when I visited last Thanksgiving.

I am considering a northern state such as Minnesota and Michigan. New Mexico would be nice, but there does not seem to be much to choose from in terms of IT jobs & careers. California seems nice, but I am worried it is out of my price range coming from a state with such a low QOL/COL like Louisiana. I find Louisiana (like the "other Louisiana": Illinois) to be corrupt from all levels state, local, parish, etc.. With a culture of corruption, progress is held back for personal gain and enrichment. I often joke that the only way to make it here in Louisiana is to a) be white, b) work a blue collar type of job/career c) become a personal/auto injury lawyer (they are pervasive here) d) have some connections (nepotism, VERY big here)

Sometimes I have no hope, I am trying my hardest with the networking program in community college. I need to pass this and I need to get out of Louisiana (and eventually out of the country), there just is no future here for young people like myself. Also, excuse the lack of focus on the topic/subject at hand - I tend to bounce around in my writing.
The bolded is my best friend haha.

I regret coming home after Houston as well, took me 6 years to leave. I now live in Denver and love it. It's not perfect but soooo much better.
I would skip New Mexico, its very poor overall and most people seem to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans